DVD as a CB coach

Advertisement
Really not trying to rag on the guy at all. I'm just not sure about how much he brings as a COACH. Recruiter I'm sure he's solid... but I went to school at the same time as he did (2007-2011) and know some of the guys who played with him but they were skeptical of the hire.

The consensus was that he wasn't a "cerebral player" aka wasn't good with the playbook when he was playing. Apparently he always had to be told where to line up by the Safetys or LBs. But he was fast enough to where he could get himself back into position. Sean Taylor apparently was the same way but he was... Sean Taylor.

In short, DVD is not going to be a guy to help with the game plan/chess match aspect of coaching the defense.

In terms of teaching technique, he was never one to go out and make a one on one tackle... so they were skeptical on how he would be able to coach a younger guy to the go out and do the same, In terms of coverage technique "turning your head around" they felt he could help with that aspect of being a DB.

Again, not trying to rag on him. He was always a good guy whenever I interacted with him. I think that whatever his coaching deficiencies are will hopefully be covered by T-Rob. I just pray his value as a recruiter is good enough to where he's a value add overall.
Am I really supposed to believe that DVD didn't know how to align playing corner in Randy Shannon's scheme.....

OP just made me ponder...
I wonder if my former teammates are questioning whether I can coach defense or not based on how I played 20+ years ago.

blake shelton shrug GIF by The Voice

"All Macho cared about was hoes and chicken wings! How he gonna teach tackling to kids?!"

Advertisement
OP just made me ponder...
I wonder if my former teammates are questioning whether I can coach defense or not based on how I played 20+ years ago.

blake shelton shrug GIF by The Voice

"All Macho cared about was hoes and chicken wings! How he gonna teach tackling to kids?!"

If you’re not an all American you can’t coach based off some of these nuggets

I'm sure he picked up a couple pointers during his 6 seasons playing in the NFL.

Advertisement
That’s the only thing that make sense in keeping DVD. I believe his main role will be recruiting and being under TROBs wing for the time being.

Rumph was neither a good recruiter or teaching at least DVD brings one quality.
well to be fair you don't know anything about DVD's coaching ability. None of us do

He's been around the program for years and has a lot of NFL experience as a player, he doesn't need to be a CB coach for years before learning how to coach. He has all the tools he needs so we'll see how he does

I know nothing about coaching, like who teaches what, etc. But it seems like tackling would be more of a top down thing. As in, if Manny/Baker want tackling approached a certain way, then that’s what the position coaches will teach. Middle management, so to speak. And DVD being timid/a poor tackler when he was here doesn’t mean anything as far as coaching goes. Do as I say, not as I do, as my mother used to tell me.

There’s guys far more knowledgeable like @Coach Macho @LuCane and some other guys that coach or have played in the secondary at the collegiate level that can weigh in. But I’d think teaching hips, leverage, ball tracking/reading the WRs eyes... that kind of stuff would fall on the CB coach more than tackling and, to a lesser extent, alignment. Tackling, alignment etc seem more like macro issues to me, where as the nuances are micro that can be taught by a position coach.

Again, idk **** and this could be completely off base.

I understand the argument on both sides but haven't some of the posters on this board been clamoring for Manny to hire a DB coach that is all about recruiting and not as much about coaching? Given that DVD will basically be TRob's assistant it seems like that's exactly what we have. I don't really have a problem with how this is positioned.

Advertisement
I understand the argument on both sides but haven't some of the posters on this board been clamoring for Manny to hire a DB coach that is all about recruiting and not as much about coaching? Given that DVD will basically be TRob's assistant it seems like that's exactly what we have. I don't really have a problem with how this is positioned.
With our fans we won’t ever have 100% support DVD which is fine. I get it they want to see him prove it. I’m hear telling those non believers let’s pick this up next year when he gets us at least 2 elite cbs for this cycle.

Recruiting
I’m not saying this to knock DVD at all. He was a good player for us. But over half those highlights are completions or good plays if the wr just catches the ball or the qb makes a good throw.
Did you guys notice that Clemson play to the boundary that DVD blew up is the same one they keep using on us? Like how are we unprepared for a play they have used against us for years.

Advertisement

few things from this highlight...

1. I recall not particularly caring for DVD as a PLAYER when he was here, his highlight tape overall was meh, its 4 min long, shows each play twice, and the first highlight takes up a minute lol

2. All was almost forgotten when I saw him take out that BS clemson throwback screen. They legit have been running this play since '08-ish and DVD so far is the only one I have seen diagnose it and drop them for a loss.

Smh this isn’t anything hard to understand. T.rob will coach all the DBs. Dvd got this promotion for recruiting purposes. He will basically assist t.rob with the corners. This allows dvd to learn under t.rob because he likely won’t be here more than 2-3 years and when that time comes the job will probably be his.

Really not trying to rag on the guy at all. I'm just not sure about how much he brings as a COACH. Recruiter I'm sure he's solid... but I went to school at the same time as he did (2007-2011) and know some of the guys who played with him but they were skeptical of the hire.

The consensus was that he wasn't a "cerebral player" aka wasn't good with the playbook when he was playing. Apparently he always had to be told where to line up by the Safetys or LBs. But he was fast enough to where he could get himself back into position. Sean Taylor apparently was the same way but he was... Sean Taylor.

In short, DVD is not going to be a guy to help with the game plan/chess match aspect of coaching the defense.

In terms of teaching technique, he was never one to go out and make a one on one tackle... so they were skeptical on how he would be able to coach a younger guy to the go out and do the same, In terms of coverage technique "turning your head around" they felt he could help with that aspect of being a DB.

Again, not trying to rag on him. He was always a good guy whenever I interacted with him. I think that whatever his coaching deficiencies are will hopefully be covered by T-Rob. I just pray his value as a recruiter is good enough to where he's a value add overall.

You make some points no doubt, but that was over 10 plus years ago.

I look where I was 10 years ago and I know Ive grown leaps in bounds in my profession from training, classes and experience. When i started my profession 18 almost 19 years ago I was super green...my older experienced co workers had to help me "line up" and get into the right position at times. Now I have achieved the level of instructor and teach my younger guys on a daily basis

Im gonna wait to pass any judgements on DVD until we see the players in practice or on live action. I think its a fair thing to do.

few things from this highlight...

1. I recall not particularly caring for DVD as a PLAYER when he was here, his highlight tape overall was meh, its 4 min long, shows each play twice, and the first highlight takes up a minute lol

2. All was almost forgotten when I saw him take out that BS clemson throwback screen. They legit have been running this play since '08-ish and DVD so far is the only one I have seen diagnose it and drop them for a loss.

Lol I always felt that play has been around forever and well there it is

Advertisement
Back