Durham to no longer host the ACC tourney

Advertisement
****, I'm (selfishly) bummed. I live in Durham and quite liked having the tourney here. DBAP is a great ballpark, and the atmosphere for the tourney was pretty solid.

Advertisement
Jacksonville has a lovely little minor league stadium and our team is not in the International League.

EDIT: The weather is lovely here in May.

There are a ****-ton of minor league stadiums in Florida, but the ACC will never let us host. They are trying to keep all conference post-season play in the Carolinas.

Jacksonville has a lovely little minor league stadium and our team is not in the International League.

Nothing against Jax, but the plus of having it in Durham is that it's convenient to fans of several schools. UNC, Duke, NCSU, Wake, Clemson, UVA, and VA Tech are all within 150 miles, GT is a couple hours further down the road, but still driveable.

That means a good number of butts in seats.

Jax won't be getting those numbers.

Advertisement

Jacksonville was great and is a pretty fair accommodation for all, with F$U obviously getting more benefit than most.

They have bounced back and forth from Durham to Greensboro every year since except for Louisville one year.

Time to go back to Jacksonville if Fenway is still out. The smart money sadly is probably on Greensboro.

I would rather have it IN Atlanta, completely favoring GT over the Carolina favoritism.

UM

The location of the ACC baseball tournament doesn't favor anyone. In the nine years when it was held in Greensboro and Durham, a team from North Carolina won the thing one time.

I don't get the "Carolina favoritism" angle.

Nobody plays at DBAP (or in Greensboro or Charlotte), so no team knows the bounces or the lines any better than the others. And it's not like football or basketball, where you're going to get home-crowds with a lot of noise. There are usually no more than 4k or 5k fans in the stands for the champ game (in a 10k stadium) and I've seen a good number of UM fans each year.

IMO, this is and has always been about $$ and attendance. And it pays to hold the tourney in NC because that's where a good chunk of schools are in or near, and it's pretty equidistant to the furthest reaches of the conferences.

Advertisement

Then you haven't been paying attention.

The ACC is an organization that funnels money, power, and influence from around the atlantic coast into the center of the State of North Carolina. Hosting the baseball tournament there may not be about making sure that the winner comes from the state of NC, but it is about maintaining the center of power and gravity right where the carolina blue bloods want it to be.

Then you haven't been paying attention.

The ACC is an organization that funnels money, power, and influence from around the atlantic coast into the center of the State of North Carolina. Hosting the baseball tournament there may not be about making sure that the winner comes from the state of NC, but it is about maintaining the center of power and gravity right where the carolina blue bloods want it to be.

I get that the ACC has a history of favoring Carolina schools and ******** everyone else. But your post is utter BS with regard to baseball.

The location of the ACC baseball tournament doesn't favor anyone. In the nine years when it was held in Greensboro and Durham, a team from North Carolina won the thing one time.

Surely you recognize that there is a lot more that goes into winning a baseball tournament than where it is held?

Also, you can surely recognize that there are other benefits to the power brokers that run the Atlantic Coast Carolina Cabal by keeping the tournament close to home other than any on-field edge that may benefit one of their favorite North Carolina teams?

Advertisement
Surely you recognize that there is a lot more that goes into winning a baseball tournament than where it is held?

Also, you can surely recognize that there are other benefits to the power brokers that run the Atlantic Coast Carolina Cabal by keeping the tournament close to home other than any on-field edge that may benefit one of their favorite North Carolina teams?

And surely you recognize the financial benefits to the league of hosting a baseball tourney in NC instead of FL.

My post has absolutely nothing to do with baseball. It's about the ACC. Soooo,... ok....

Sooooo.... your post is irrelevant to a discussion about the ACC baseball tourney, then. Got it.

Nobody plays at DBAP (or in Greensboro or Charlotte), so no team knows the bounces or the lines any better than the others. And it's not like football or basketball, where you're going to get home-crowds with a lot of noise. There are usually no more than 4k or 5k fans in the stands for the champ game (in a 10k stadium) and I've seen a good number of UM fans each year.

IMO, this is and has always been about $$ and attendance. And it pays to hold the tourney in NC because that's where a good chunk of schools are in or near, and it's pretty equidistant to the furthest reaches of the conferences.

I'm talking convenience for ME...lol.

As to the number schools in close proximity (esp. tobacco roaders)....it makes all the sense in the world that the ACC would go in that direction, I agree with you.

When the tourney was in Louisville in 2017, do you think it wasn't an "advantage" to UL to sleep in their own bed and not have to worry about travel? Easy to look back and say...well, they didn't win, so it didn't help....lol. Very similar to basketball conference tourneys....the top clubs are necessarily more worried about the upcoming regional and pitching rotation for that and a potential super than they are running through a conference tournament. Sure, sometimes the cream can't help but rise to the top, but it isn't ideal to use your arms like crazy and get into long games before the big dance.

UM

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back