Duke

So Gamble didn’t get better playing under Jim in 2011 before he became a centerpiece of the 2012 ACC championship team? That’s not development?

Averaging 11/8 over a season as a center in the ACC isn’t an ACC level big (Izundu - who people called a jag his first 2 years)?

Too bad you can’t appreciate and enjoy the success of the team you claim to support. We are lucky to have Coach L on our sideline.
No Coach L didn’t turn Gamble into a solid player overnight. He was already good enough. He had more resources around him in 2012 and got more PT.

Izundu was never on the floor bc he couldn’t move his feet and fouled anyone within 4 feet of him. He was not good enough to start at an ACC school. Nobody cares about someone who averaged 11/8 over one year when they were here for a whole career. Maybe recruit better.

Advertisement
Great win last night! This winning streak has been very impressive. Although I think highly of Larrranaga's coaching acumen, I was certainly on that boat of folks who wanted to see a coaching change. My problem with Larranaga in recent years has been that it just didn't seem his heart was in it any more. He looked defeated and just completely out of it. For a while there it looked like he was just here to cash in checks. Not sure if it was the FBI investigation, age, or another reason, but it's good to see him back to his old self and the program return to its winning ways. I hope this current trajectory continues, but who knows how things will go. I'm hoping (fingers crossed) the poor recruiting in recent classes doesn't come back to bite us this season. Unfortunately, any injury (knock on wood) to one of our starters and that could be the end of this run. Really interested to see how this season plays out. GO CANES!!!
I see the same potential problem as you do in lack of depth.
My concern is whether Coach L can recruit at a high enough level to keep UM competitive. He can certainly coach X’s and O’s

No Coach L didn’t turn Gamble into a solid player overnight. He was already good enough. He had more resources around him in 2012 and got more PT.

Izundu was never on the floor bc he couldn’t move his feet and fouled anyone within 4 feet of him. He was not good enough to start at an ACC school. Nobody cares about someone who averaged 11/8 over one year when they were here for a whole career. Maybe recruit better.

Which is Ebuka’s stat line and which is Gamble’s… because the stats absolutely demolish your totally incorrect claims.

1641747341439.png

1641747511724.png

Fun eight game run and great win. Coach L has had some good seasons here. It’s time to move on and find a new coaching staff. As painful as that might be to hear after a big win, this season is still not one to brag about. I’d like to see us, and I believe we will, hire a big name coach. Coach L has proven that he isn’t a top tier program builder. Great guy and win. Next

You're a ruthless vato!

:hunt-dog-lol:

Fun eight game run and great win. Coach L has had some good seasons here. It’s time to move on and find a new coaching staff. As painful as that might be to hear after a big win, this season is still not one to brag about. I’d like to see us, and I believe we will, hire a big name coach. Coach L has proven that he isn’t a top tier program builder. Great guy and win. Next

False.

Between 2013-2018 Coach L took a historically garbage program to 4 NCAAT, two Sweet 16’s, and a regular season and conference tourney championship (and we got left out at 10-8 in conference with 21 wins in 2015).

That’s 4/6 years in the tourney with two sweet 16s under Coach L before the FBI disaster.

In the preceding FORTY years, miami bball had 5 NCAAT appearances with ONE sweet 16 appearance.

Then the FBI criminal investigation blew up our ability to get players because we were already starting at a major disadvantage as a program with no history, no fan support, minimal infrastructure, and no bags.

Injuries hampered limited rosters for 2019, 2020, and 2021.

We finally signed a real class in 2020 after it was clear that L would survive the FBI investigation and could sell a rebuild and 2022 is back to being a lot of fun.

We already signed a top 20 class for next year featuring 3 top 150 front court players. That’s building off a top 20 class of guards that were signed this year.

Future is bright and it is insane to talk about firing coach L.

Advertisement
False.

Between 2013-2018 Coach L took a historically garbage program to 4 NCAAT, two Sweet 16’s, and a regular season and conference tourney championship (and we got left out at 10-8 in conference with 21 wins in 2015).

That’s 4/6 years in the tourney with two sweet 16s under Coach L before the FBI disaster.

In the preceding FORTY years, miami bball had 5 NCAAT appearances with ONE sweet 16 appearance.

Then the FBI criminal investigation blew up our ability to get players because we were already starting at a major disadvantage as a program with no history, no fan support, minimal infrastructure, and no bags.

We finally signed a real class in 2020 after it was clear that L would survive the FBI investigation and could sell a rebuild and 2022 is back to being a lot of fun.

We already signed a top 20 class for next year featuring 3 top 150 front court players. That’s building off a top 20 class of guards that were signed this year.

This. All of this. I can't believe people don't understand how much of an effect the FBI thing had on the program. It was unprecedented. It's crazy, we're 13-3 even after the growing pains of getting a new team to gel, 5-0 in the ACC and just beat #2 on the road in maybe the hardest place to win, we have the Duke board and press talking about how L is a better X and O's guy than god himself, Coach K, and THIS is the day people decide to post about when to run coach off. This place!

I hope he goes on a **** of a run and shuts everyone up. I really do. Guy is so respected in the industry. What we are, a program that people here seem to think could draw a big name coach, is because of him. Great post @AmherstCane - Go Mammoths!

False.

Get me a top tier coach. Coach L isn’t one. Sorry

Get me a top tier coach. Coach L isn’t one. Sorry

I think he was a top tier coach. But the guy is 72. He needs a Jimbo Fischer under him like Bobby had at FSU in his waning years. It's time. Get a stud recruiter who is just ready to break out as a top tier HC and is willing to learn for 1-2 years under Larranaga. Then Jim can retire a hero.

Advertisement
I think he was a top tier coach. But the guy is 72. He needs a Jimbo Fischer under him like Bobby had at FSU in his waning years. It's time. Get a stud recruiter who is just ready to break out as a top tier HC and is willing to learn for 1-2 years under Larranaga. Then Jim can retire a hero.
Was and it’s time to put our new found AD and money to better use. Respectfully, I’d like to see new blood lead this program to higher and more consistent highs. Now

Was and it’s time to put our new found AD and money to better use. Respectfully, I’d like to see new blood lead this program to higher and more consistent highs. Now

Right now?

Fire a coach mid-season, after just beating Dook at Cameron, with a 13-3 record, number 1 in the ACC, and on a hot streak?

Thats a bold strategy, cotton.

Right now?

Fire a coach mid-season, after just beating Dook at Cameron, with a 13-3 record, number 1 in the ACC, and on a hot streak?

Thats a bold strategy, cotton.
I didn’t say today: End of the season move on. It’s time. Good for him on a great season against the worst ACC in a decade. It’s time. I understand the greatness of being a bottom half of the top twenty five every few years is acceptable to some, but it isn’t for me. Nice guy and time to say goodbye. Long overdue fwiw and it’s hard to imagine people not seeing that. “Cotton” I’m not a fan of stupid movies, but I understand their place.

I didn’t say today: End of the season move on. It’s time. Good for him on a great season against the worst ACC in a decade. It’s time. I understand the greatness of being a bottom half of the top twenty five every few years is acceptable to some, but it isn’t for me. Nice guy and time to say goodbye. Long overdue fwiw and it’s hard to imagine people not seeing that. “Cotton” I’m not a fan of stupid movies, but I understand their place.

So I’ve actually never seen this movie, so I couldn’t tell you whether it was good or not. Obviously, you didn’t like it. It’s just a common meme that’s been around for at least 10 or 15 years.

As far as your original topic, maybe it is time to review things after the end of the season.

We’ll see how we’ve done and where we stand then.

In the meantime, for me to enjoy this rare yet very enjoyable occurrence, I’d prefer not to fret and rub my hands in anguish like a post Christmas Scrooge.

Rather, I’m just going to enjoy the ride while it lasts.

DD345F32-21A5-41A6-B567-AB85B8E0A544.gif

Last edited:
Advertisement
Coach K on Miami’s turnaround with Jim Larranaga who critics on Twitter wanted to fire him…

“I’m not big on critics on Twitter, sounds like a comedy show on HBO because you don’t have to back up any statements or you don’t have to have an expertise on what you give an opinion on. I would rather, to be quite, listen to all of you (in the media) who watch the sport, in a press conference before or after today and any comments you might have because you watch the game.

“Jim is one of the outstanding coaches in the history of our game. He’s one of the winningest coaches and he’s done a great job at Miami. Last year no team that I can remember has been devastated with injuries as much as his team was last year. And for him to keep those kids coming back, especially in (Isaiah) Wong and (Kameron) McGusty and (Sam) Waardenburg, it shows that those kids trust him and believe in him. He’s been able to complement them in two outstanding transfers in (Charlie) Moore and (Jordan) Miller.

“They have a veteran team. All of them can shoot and they share the ball. They’re very difficult to defend. Jim’s always done that. As long as Jim wants to coach it would be smart to keep him there. **** he might win the league. It’s going to be an NCAA Tournament team and it will be a tough out whoever ends up playing them. They have one of the better teams.”

Which is Ebuka’s stat line and which is Gamble’s… because the stats absolutely demolish your totally incorrect claims.

View attachment 171488

View attachment 171490
You can’t compare JG’s stat line on a stacked team to anyone on an awful team. He wasn’t a guy who needed to score. He was an enforcer who played hard on D and kept guys off the offensive glass.

Izundu flashed but could never stay on the court long enough to make a difference. If you’re happy with a guy who takes 3-4 to develop and averages 6 points a game for his career then go ahead. But that doesn’t cut it in the ACC.

Coach K on Miami’s turnaround with Jim Larranaga who critics on Twitter wanted to fire him…

“I’m not big on critics on Twitter, sounds like a comedy show on HBO because you don’t have to back up any statements or you don’t have to have an expertise on what you give an opinion on. I would rather, to be quite, listen to all of you (in the media) who watch the sport, in a press conference before or after today and any comments you might have because you watch the game.

“Jim is one of the outstanding coaches in the history of our game. He’s one of the winningest coaches and he’s done a great job at Miami. Last year no team that I can remember has been devastated with injuries as much as his team was last year. And for him to keep those kids coming back, especially in (Isaiah) Wong and (Kameron) McGusty and (Sam) Waardenburg, it shows that those kids trust him and believe in him. He’s been able to complement them in two outstanding transfers in (Charlie) Moore and (Jordan) Miller.

“They have a veteran team. All of them can shoot and they share the ball. They’re very difficult to defend. Jim’s always done that. As long as Jim wants to coach it would be smart to keep him there. **** he might win the league. It’s going to be an NCAA Tournament team and it will be a tough out whoever ends up playing them. They have one of the better teams.”

He’s just saying that because he wants to keep a coach he can beat in the ACC.

Oh wait…..

Advertisement
You can’t compare JG’s stat line on a stacked team to anyone on an awful team. He wasn’t a guy who needed to score. He was an enforcer who played hard on D and kept guys off the offensive glass.

Izundu flashed but could never stay on the court long enough to make a difference. If you’re happy with a guy who takes 3-4 to develop and averages 6 points a game for his career then go ahead. But that doesn’t cut it in the ACC.

L can’t develop bigs… except for developing JAGS into productive bigs during college. You’re right that gamble was a successful role player his senior year… he was a jag his sophomore year.

The only two bigs who didn’t develop exceptionally well under L were Gak and Miller. Gak because knee injuries torpedoed his development and Miller because he just isn’t (or hasn’t been) about that life.

L can’t develop bigs… except for developing JAGS into productive bigs during college. You’re right that gamble was a successful role player his senior year… he was a jag his sophomore year.

The only two bigs who didn’t develop exceptionally well under L were Gak and Miller. Gak because knee injuries torpedoed his development and Miller because he just isn’t (or hasn’t been) about that life.
Problem is, save for Dewan, we haven't been able to bring in any bigs that aren't complete projects coming out of high school. Most of those project bigs have Izundu level ceilings. Hopefully the incoming 2022 class with Casey and Aire changes that narrative.

L has been here for a decade and all you’ve given me is 3, at best, role players. Thanks for proving my point.

Advertisement
Back