Duke

He’s not retiring this year unless we somehow get the 30 wins (and honestly probably at least a Final Four trip at that point) he needs to get to 700, and decides to ride off into the sunset.
If this year continues on the trajectory it’s on, he deserves to get to 700. I’d be more than ok with that.

Advertisement
Do people still want Coach L fired? The feeling was pretty unanimous coming into this season. Maybe rethinking that?
Great win last night! This winning streak has been very impressive. Although I think highly of Larrranaga's coaching acumen, I was certainly on that boat of folks who wanted to see a coaching change. My problem with Larranaga in recent years has been that it just didn't seem his heart was in it any more. He looked defeated and just completely out of it. For a while there it looked like he was just here to cash in checks. Not sure if it was the FBI investigation, age, or another reason, but it's good to see him back to his old self and the program return to its winning ways. I hope this current trajectory continues, but who knows how things will go. I'm hoping (fingers crossed) the poor recruiting in recent classes doesn't come back to bite us this season. Unfortunately, any injury (knock on wood) to one of our starters and that could be the end of this run. Really interested to see how this season plays out. GO CANES!!!

Advertisement
Can’t believe we pulled that off. Thought for sure we were done with less than a minute left

Yeah, when Duke got those back-to-back buckets and were up by 3, I feared the worst. Truly impressed by the resiliency of this team in the last 10 minutes of games, they have converted multiple close games into bigger margins of victory, and some deficits into wins. I probably had a bigger scare in the prior game that ended up with "only" a 1 point victory margin.

I still think its incredible that depending who you spoke to, Miami entered that game the #2 or 3 team in the ACC....unranked and on a 8 game winning streak.

Media hating Miami really isn't much of a conspiracy anymore.

In fairness (with an unsheathed dagger), we were not even pre-season Top 10 in the ACC (per sportswriters). So it will take some time for the writers to change their predetermined minds.

Is it just me, or am I hoping that Charlie just shoots from deeper and deeper until we finally find the spot where his 3-point shot looks like it takes effort and might actually miss?

Advertisement
In fairness (with an unsheathed dagger), we were not even pre-season Top 10 in the ACC (per sportswriters). So it will take some time for the writers to change their predetermined minds.

Is it just me, or am I hoping that Charlie just shoots from deeper and deeper until we finally find the spot where his 3-point shot looks like it takes effort and might actually miss?
I get it. ****, I'm even still trying to process this season a little bit myself lol. I just love when the media, constantly looking for Cinderella stories, are constantly reading ours in Braille.

Fun eight game run and great win. Coach L has had some good seasons here. It’s time to move on and find a new coaching staff. As painful as that might be to hear after a big win, this season is still not one to brag about. I’d like to see us, and I believe we will, hire a big name coach. Coach L has proven that he isn’t a top tier program builder. Great guy and win. Next

He is trying to show a mid major type roster can work in a power conference

Personally, I want him to work with Rad to hire his replacement as an assistant HC -- someone who is more of a pure recruiter -- train him up over another season or two, then retire gracefully.

You and me both. And we need to pour more resources into scouting/recruiting on a national level.

Advertisement
Some Duke tears... They are shredding coach K on their boards. Definitely ready for him to retire....

"They (Miami) do every year. And its always the same gameplan.....and K ALWAYS lets it work like a charm with the totally unnecessary over-pressure. Larranaga absolutely owns him."

"Honest question…when is the last time we’ve had actual offensive and defensive game plans for our opponent vs just doing the same thing over and over? Miami came in with a very specific plan to attack us defensively."

"Even in a year when K has by far the most talent in the ACC he still can’t win it. Quite sad."

"Sorry guys but we have one of the worst on-court coaches in the ACC. Games passed him by"

"Congrats to Miami their players and coaching staff deserve it they get kicked out butts for 40 minutes. We have too much talent to be this mediocre."

"Duke got schooled." "good guards v bad guards; good coach vs. bad coach. "This team doesn’t deserve to wear a Duke jersey but K is the worse one. My guy he literally doesn’t coach anymore"

"Wasn’t luck they just outcoached and outworked us"

Question asked of their basketball writers:

- Why do you think K has trouble with Larrañega’s teams? Why didn’t he adjust tonight?

-Because Larranaga is a better Xs and Os guy than K. He is quicker with adjustments and his teams are more established in their systems. You can debate why that is and whether or not first year guys are capable/willing to buy into a set system or if such a system exists.

Advertisement
Your idea of an “ACC” level big is laughable. None of those guys outside of Jekiri were serviceable. Huell wasn’t stopping anyone. He didn’t come close to living up to his 5 star rating. L didn’t develop Gamble.

So Gamble didn’t get better playing under Jim in 2011 before he became a centerpiece of the 2012 ACC championship team? That’s not development?

Averaging 11/8 over a season as a center in the ACC isn’t an ACC level big (Izundu - who people called a jag his first 2 years)?

Too bad you can’t appreciate and enjoy the success of the team you claim to support. We are lucky to have Coach L on our sideline.

After losing to UCF and Dayton, never in my wildest dreams could I see this team at 5-0 in the ACC with a win at Duke. Experienced team is yuge in CBB.

Advertisement
Back