Duke was 3-9 last season. First year coach

Mario's recruiting will falter if we don't have a good year next year. There is no reason we can't beat Clemson and Texas A&M at home with superior coaching. We shall see but I have my reservations after watching Mario coach on the sidelines this year. A ton of Mario advocates here and he did a very good job recruiting in most areas. The DL recruiting was okay and the WR has been a disaster. I do believe the AD should force Mario to have an assistant coach to handle the day game coaching decisions. Mario unfortunately looks bewildered, unprepared, and totally outcoached game after game. That has to change if he is going to be successful here.

Advertisement
Mario's recruiting will falter if we don't have a good year next year. There is no reason we can't beat Clemson and Texas A&M at home with superior coaching. We shall see but I have my reservations after watching Mario coach on the sidelines this year. A ton of Mario advocates here and he did a very good job recruiting in most areas. The DL recruiting was okay and the WR has been a disaster. I do believe the AD should force Mario to have an assistant coach to handle the day game coaching decisions. Mario unfortunately looks bewildered, unprepared, and totally outcoached game after game. That has to change if he is going to be successful here.
Some good points here but that’s not how AD and HC relationships work… ADs handle the business side of athletics, not coaching decisions. Coaches have to “live and die on those hills” with bullheaded decisions.

His recruiting is never gonna falter let alone next season

It’s like you guys just say things that sound good but don’t actually look at any evidence

@Dwinstitles they never learn

9-4 this year. Looked good in their bowl game beating UCF pretty good.

Has to be one of the best coaching jobs of the year.
Plus signed a really good class by their standards.

They should benefit from some of the ivy league all conference types or hitting stanford transfers yearly.
They got Al Blades Jr who if they play him at cb will do well for them. They have some physically , big kids in this class. Got one of my hs friends sons to commit from St Thomas Aquinas hes a cb and a real heady type player not the biggest physically but kid knows the db position.

This was one of the more confusing and disappointing things to watch this season. Mario has been a head coach at 3 different programs now. His last school, Oregon, is a perennial top 25 (or higher) program. He's coached in some big games against good and elite competition. He's won some big games and he's has lost some big games. The concept of being a head coach is not new for him. He's experienced. That is why it's difficult for me to understand why he looked like a deer lost in headlights almost every game this season.

Advertisement
This was one of the more confusing and disappointing things to watch this season. Mario has been a head coach at 3 different programs now. His last school, Oregon, is a perennial top 25 (or higher) program. He's coached in some big games against good and elite competition. He's won some big games and he's has lost some big games. The concept of being a head coach is not new for him. He's experienced. That is why it's difficult for me to understand why he looked like a deer lost in headlights almost every game this season.
Tells me were in trouble unless he hires great coordinators & lets them do there thing.

Jesus, Duke figuring out football is like Miami figuring out basketball... wait.... dang, we fuct.

Tells me were in trouble unless he hires great coordinators & lets them do there thing.

I really it is an issue with coordinators. Ponce, Gattis, Strong and Steele have overseen and coordinated good units over the years and coaches Mirabal and Addae have good reputations. The problem I see is lack of mesh amongst the coaches. That has to be resolved, IMO.

Advertisement
Impressive, and Elko did it without having to overhaul the roster because of this culture nonsense.
elko is a better game day coach and it isnt close. he took one of the worst if not the worst p5 in the country the last 3 years (at least 2 at minimum) and turned them into a 9 win team in year 1 w a bowl. kids he didnt recruit. kids that dont fit what he probably wants to do longterm. he made it work and no duke did not have better talent than miami.

I really it is an issue with coordinators. Ponce, Gattis, Strong and Steele have overseen and coordinated good units over the years and coaches Mirabal and Addae have good reputations. The problem I see is lack of mesh amongst the coaches. That has to be resolved, IMO.
which good unit did gattis coordinator directly? it wasn't Michigans playoff team last year. strong hasn't coordinated a defense in over 10 years as a DC. Addae had a good rep at WVU. he was at odds w Smart at UGA and Smart/Champ were hands on in his room. he followed that up by not ever recruiting anyone here.

elko is a better game day coach and it isnt close. he took one of the worst if not the worst p5 in the country the last 3 years (at least 2 at minimum) and turned them into a 9 win team in year 1 w a bowl. kids he didnt recruit. kids that dont fit what he probably wants to do longterm. he made it work and no duke did not have better talent than miami.

That was my point.
I have never been a big believer in overhauling an entire roster in order to merely have a competitive team.

His recruiting is never gonna falter let alone next season

It’s like you guys just say things that sound good but don’t actually look at any evidence

@Dwinstitles they never learn
Has any coach ever pulled back to back top 5 classes after losing seasons? I can’t think of one. You get some leeway with your first season but if you don’t show on field improvement, I don’t care how good of a recruiter you are, kids aren’t buying it.

Advertisement
Has any coach ever pulled back to back top 5 classes after losing seasons? I can’t think of one. You get some leeway with your first season but if you don’t show on field improvement, I don’t care how good of a recruiter you are, kids aren’t buying it.
So there’s no a difference between “faltering” and not having back to back top 5 classes?

Well talk about lack of nuance to this conversation

It’s not likely we pull back to back top 5s simply because of how many freshmen will be playing

I don’t think finishing 7 or 8 is faltering though it’s just recruiting

Impressive, and Elko did it without having to overhaul the roster because of this culture nonsense.
Amazing how kids will buy in when you actually have on field success. When you get blown out every week, nobody is buying in and you have to buy yourself time…I mean overhaul the roster.

So there’s no a difference between “faltering” and not having back to back top 5 classes?

Well talk about lack of nuance to this conversation

It’s not likely we pull back to back top 5s simply because of how many freshmen will be playing
If they actually win a few games, a top 5 class is very likely. Nobody has ever recruited at an elite level while losing more games than they win. If Mario isn’t recruiting at an elite level, he’s a net negative as a coach as that’s really all he does well.

Advertisement
If they actually win a few games, a top 5 class is very likely. Nobody has ever recruited at an elite level while losing more games than they win. If Mario isn’t recruiting at an elite level, he’s a net negative as a coach as that’s really all he does well.
Yeah I think we are in agreement

Of course winning helps but Mario, especially next year, he’s still gonna get his guys. He’s still got the sell of the “new regime” going for him was my point

Saying he has to win next year or falter is just too dramatic for me

Yeah I think we are in agreement

Of course winning helps but Mario, especially next year, he’s still gonna get his guys. He’s still got the sell of the “new regime” going for him was my point

Saying he has to win next year or falter is just too dramatic for me
He has to win. I don’t mean championship level but Miami has to return to a top 25 level if they want to keep momentum. They can’t get embarrassed every week again. If Miami goes 6-6 or 7-5 or worse, they’re going to have a hard time signing a top 10 class. If they can win 8 or more games and look more competitive in losses, it will translate to another highly ranked class.

He has to win. I don’t mean championship level but Miami has to return to a top 25 level if they want to keep momentum. They can’t get embarrassed every week again. If Miami goes 6-6 or 7-5 or worse, they’re going to have a hard time signing a top 10 class. If they can win 8 or more games and look more competitive in losses, it will translate to another highly ranked class.
I heard the same thing last year

Hopefully we won’t need to find out

Advertisement
Back