Duke Johnson Appreciation Post

Duke over OJ or McGahee??....Jesus H Christ
Yes duke over oj Easily at Miami. Not even close... old is not always better. Mcgahee had the Best rb season of any Miami rb for sure but duke season in 2014 wasn’t that far behind tbh
AEA4510A-597B-416F-8F88-A247327FD2D6.jpeg

9346398A-3E12-4CC2-A47D-AB19ABB27A67.jpeg

Advertisement
What were his stats against FSU

Glad you asked. Duke was really good against FSU.

Hopefully these stats put the "Duke didn't show up vs FSU" argument to bed.

Duke is the only RB to have 2 90 yd rushing games vs FSU since Stephen McGuire in 1990 & 1991.
Duke is the only RB to have 200 yds rushing vs FSU in the last 20 years.
Duke had as many yards and TD's as Walton, Homer, and DeeJay combined for vs FSU.
FSU was 39-3 when Duke played them. 14-0, 13-1 & 12-2 FSU teams. Only Yearby played FSU in season when they had over 10 wins.

1585064117332.png

Last edited:
Edge was the best RB at Miami and had the best single game (UCLA 98).
McGahee had the best individual season (02).
Frank is the greatest football player of all time (but was oft-injured at Miami).

Glad you asked. Duke was really good against FSU.

Hopefully these stats put the "Duke didn't show up vs FSU" argument to bed.

Duke is the only RB to have 2 90 yd rushing games vs FSU since Stephen McGuire in 1990 & 1991.
Duke is the only RB to have 200 yds rushing vs FSU in the last 20 years.
Duke had as many yards and TD's as Walton, Homer, and DeeJay combined for vs FSU.
FSU was 39-3 when Duke played them. 14-0, 13-1 & 12-2 FSU teams. Only Portis & Yearby played FSU in season when they had over 10 wins.

View attachment 114049

Are these stats suppose to show something?

Frank Gore played FSU once in his career and had as many TDs as Duke in 3 tries
Portis faced FSU once in his career
McGahee had a couple of carries one year against FSu behind Portis
Miller played FSU once

Yearby/Walton/Dallas are all nobodies

Thank you proving nothing and showing career stats that have ZERO context

BTW 254 yards with a 4.3 YPC and 1 TD in 3 years is not "very good"

Advertisement
Criminal how we failed to utilize him

should have been in the running for the heisman

Failed to utilize? Duke hit 900+ all 3 years. That's being the #2 guy for most of his freshman year and only playing 8 games in year 2. Went crazy with over 2k scrimmage yards as a junior. What was criminal was watching Fat Al and No D blow every game for the 3 years Duke was here doing his thing.

Several things:

1. Duke is the last 5 star we've had here to actually live up to the hype.
2. Duke always played much bigger than his size
3. We give Manny grief, but reliving these clips truly epitomizes how awful Golden was as a coach. His teams were literally flocked w/ NFL talent and he did absolutely chit w/ it. Dude could recruit, but couldn't coach for chit
4. Duke could've went to any school in the country but stayed home, and encouraged other top recruits in his class to stay home. When is the last time we had that leadership in our recruiting classes from the backyard?

Failed to utilize? Duke hit 900+ all 3 years. That's being the #2 guy for most of his freshman year and only playing 8 games in year 2. Went crazy with over 2k scrimmage yards as a junior. What was criminal was watching Fat Al and No D blow every game for the 3 years Duke was here doing his thing.
He goes to OSU.. Clemson... etc

kid wins the Heisman and goes down as a legend who was a special college football player

instead he’s only remembered by canes fans and known as a nice pass catching back for the browns now Texans

Big difference in legacy if you ask me

Advertisement
Are these stats suppose to show something?

Frank Gore played FSU once in his career and had as many TDs as Duke in 3 tries
Portis faced FSU once in his career
McGahee had a couple of carries one year against FSu behind Portis
Miller played FSU once

Yearby/Walton/Dallas are all nobodies

Thank you proving nothing and showing career stats that have ZERO context

BTW 254 yards with a 4.3 YPC and 1 TD in 3 years is not "very good"

If Duke's stats vs FSU aren't good - which Miami RB's stats would you say are?

You asked for the stats - I gave them. If you want to see the stats a different way, or include/remove a RB - let me know and I'll be happy to do that. I can include any Miami RB you want.

Here's each game from your Non-Nobody list - Portis, McGahee, Miller, Duke. Duke has 2 of the top 3 games, against the 2 best FSU teams.

1585077012332.png

He goes to OSU.. Clemson... etc

kid wins the Heisman and goes down as a legend who was a special college football player

instead he’s only remembered by canes fans and known as a nice pass catching back for the browns now Texans

Big difference in legacy if you ask me

If he had a defense with a pulse when he was here he is a legend. Better defense, he gets more touches, teams wins more games and he gets the respect he deserves nationally. Had nothing to do with how he was used here. It's not like he was playing the offenses we had the last few years.

Arguably top 6? He was game changer in any era at the U..imo it’s
1. Edge
2. Duke
3. Willis
4. Gore
5. Portis/ ottis

if gore was healthy he’s 2 ahead of Duke and Willis imo..I got Duke so high because if you give Duke the lines and talent around that position from 99-03 I think he goes even crazier while at the..just basing this list on what they did on the collegiate level..Duke came in as freshman and lit it up. His sophomore campaign was on pace to be historic until cut short..his junior year he had to get it back and wasn’t himself for the first couple games and still balled
Loved the Duke. All Miami and a stud. Folks forget Chuck Foreman was a beast too

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
As much as I love Duke, Willis was the much better RB and was good enough to be drafted months after that knee

Willis was special. He could do it all and was powerful. Duke was **** good too in his own right. Our program has such a rich tradition of backs it’s quite amazing.

Best HS RB to come outta Florida since Gore...if Duke would've went to Alabama He would've been a star...P...E...R...I...O...D...!...!...!...N...I...G...G....A...!...!...!

Advertisement
Back