Duke Johnson Appreciation Post

As much as I love Duke, Willis was the much better RB and was good enough to be drafted months after that knee
That’s why said solely based on college..Duke wouldve broke 2k as a sophomore..and that offense Willis played on would put up similar numbers..Duke not built fot the league’s cookie cutter system..I think if a team gave him a chance he could absolutely be effective on that level

Advertisement
I absolutely hate when Cleveland drafts one of our players. I would love to see Duke in New Orleans or Buffalo

Advertisement
I honestly don't think people realize how bad most of the UM teams were during OJs tenure....If say for instance, OJ would've played on teams that Highsmith...Bratton...McGuire...Portis...etc...had the Luxury of playing on, this entire conversation about who's #1 would be over before it started...

As much as I love Duke, Willis was the much better RB and was good enough to be drafted months after that knee
Yeah. Willis was a freak of nature size/speed wise too.

Duke wasn’t very big and he really wasn’t super fast either. He just knew how to run the ball. Pretty amazing.

Also had some of the best recruiting highlights I’ve ever seen so those videos will always come up once in a while haha

The NFL also valued RB's differently when Willis was drafted. I don't think he would be a first round pick after that knee injury in today's NFL. Even after his knee was torn to shreds Willis was still a beast though.

Duke was the best Cane 2010 - 2019, and it's not even close. Even if you love him, you're probably still underrating him.

Some stats to put Duke's ridiculous career in perspective:

Duke averaged 107 yds rushing per game. Edge averaged 106. They're the only 2 to avg 100
Duke averaged 6.7 ypc. Edge & Homer both averaged 6.0. They're the only 3 to avg 6
Duke averaged 123 yds rushing, 6.9 ypc & 1TD in his last 25 games. He had over 5.0 ypc in 20 games & under 4.0 in only 1
Duke had 9 150+ yd games. Portis, McGahee & Gore combined for 9. All other Canes RB's 2005 - 2019 have combined for 10
Duke averaged 31.5 yds & scored 2 TD's on 41 kick returns. Devin Hester averaged 25.5 yds & scored 2 TD's on 40 kick returns

Duke was insane.

Advertisement
Duke was the best Cane 2010 - 2019, and it's not even close. Even if you love him, you're probably still underrating him.

Duke averaged 107 yds rushing per game. Edge averaged 106. They're the only 2 to avg 100
Duke averaged 6.7 ypc. Edge & Homer both averaged 6.0. They're the only 3 to avg 6
Duke averaged 123 yds rushing, 6.9 ypc & 1TD in his last 25 games. He had over 5.0 ypc in 20 games & under 4.0 in only 1
Duke had 9 150+ yd games. Portis, McGahee & Gore combined for 9. All other Canes RB's 2005 - 2019 have combined for 10
Duke averaged 31.5 yds & scored 2 TD's on 41 kick returns. Devin Hester averaged 25.5 yds & scored 2 TD's on 40 kick returns

Duke was insane.
:2h3mpi1:

Duke was insane.

What were his stats against FSU

Advertisement
in 2013 before he got injured vs FSU, I think he was going to make a run for 2,000 yards rushing.

I maintain if he plays, UM wins at least another game or two that season

Nah, he wouldn't have got 2,000 maybe like 1600 at the most, we had 4 games left after that game and he was at around 900 when he got hurt, he would have had to average 250+ yards those last 4 games.

1585059561494.png

Advertisement
Definitely a Cane legend for his dedication to the U and his time here on and off the field.

Felt for him that he never had a real successful season here. I hope he knows how much the true Canes appreciate him.
Loved when during warmups Duke would do his back flips, and flip ups..........entertaining and the Canes fans loved it...very cool guy and super talented.

Edge, McGahee, Portis, O. Anderson, Foreman

Highsmith, Gary, Gore, Duke, L. Miller, Bratton, McGuire, J. Jackson, Najeh, Homer, Neal, Oliver, Stewart
What a frigging list! I don't care where Duke falls on the list but that little Viking is my favorite Cane of all time, but the GOAT, that would be Mad Stork, but my favorite. He was the brightness in a dark 15 years. I grew up midway between Norland and CC so I lean to my boys from that area. ****, we have a dirt road in front of our house when I was little. Pavement stopped at 163rd street back then except 441 and US 1. There was no I 95. Seems all the kids from up that way just work hard - regardless of color and anything else.

Advertisement
Back