Duke Johnson Appreciation Post

Best HS RB to come outta Florida since Gore...if Duke would've went to Alabama He would've been a star...P...E...R...I...O...D...!...!...!...N...I...G...G....A...!...!...!
I agree, people try to argue Dalvin but I've seen both in person, and I have to give the edge to Duke. Special talent. He was Norland's offense.

Advertisement
Yes duke over oj Easily at Miami. Not even close... old is not always better. Mcgahee had the Best rb season of any Miami rb for sure but duke season in 2014 wasn’t that far behind tbh
View attachment 114053

View attachment 114054

In OJ Anderson's defense - it's really hard to compare stats and players from different eras.

For instance - in OJ's 4 years, Miami threw 32 TD's and 64 INT's. Of those 32 TD's - OJ caught 5 of them and threw 2 of them.

OJ was before my time - but it looks like he was a one man show for some bad Miami teams. He also had a borderline HOF NFL career.

I totally get where @caneinorlando is coming from. I'd leave it at both OJ and Duke were all time great Miami RB's.

In OJ Anderson's defense - it's really hard to compare stats and players from different eras.

For instance - in OJ's 4 years, Miami threw 32 TD's and 64 INT's. Of those 32 TD's - OJ caught 5 of them and threw 2 of them.

OJ was before my time - but it looks like he was a one man show for some bad Miami teams. He also had a borderline HOF NFL career.

I totally get where @caneinorlando is coming from. I'd leave it at both OJ and Duke were all time great Miami RB's.
If OJ played on UM teams from 83-87...it would have been Epic....Bratton wouldn't have started...

I agree, people try to argue Dalvin but I've seen both in person, and I have to give the edge to Duke. Special talent. He was Norland's offense.
Duke had more opportunities in highschool as he was the lone back at norland whereas cook played with another south Florida top back yearby. So i agree duke had a better career in highschool however cook was the best in college though over duke who was quite good himself

Advertisement
My humble opinion on a few of these topics.

1. Duke wasn't misused or underutilized while here. If anything, they probably overworked him.

2. The offenses that Duke played in were probably the best Miami has had since 2002. Duke was a big part of them but it's not like he was carrying a bunch of bums every game. They had NFL players on the line, at receiver and Morris/Kaaya were solid if not great quarterbacks.
2012: 440.2 ypg/ 31.4 ppg
2013: 425.8 ypg/ 33.8 ppg
2014: 430.3 ypg/ 29.2 ppg

3. Duke is probably better than Portis but not as capable physically as Edge or Willis. Those guys were total package running backs. I can't really comment on OJ Anderson because he played before I was born and the game was played totally different than it is today.

Advertisement
Back