Duke is our best offensive player since....who?

Advertisement
Let's see what happens on Spet. 7th. Same with Morris, same with Dorito, same with Golden, ad nauseum.

We talking about talent or stats? Obviously Willis, statistically, has been our best offensive player in recent history. Talent wise though...Gore > McGahee

Gore's vision is unreal, and he doesn't even get caught from behind in the NFL, nevermind against Rutgers, Temple or FSU. McGahee got hawked more than people like to remember. Even in the NFL, Gore gets a crease and he's gone. His shakes and vision are similar to Duke's.

I obv love gore...we all do...but he has been caught from behind a lot in the nfl...his success is a testament to his vision and instincts, but his speed hasnt been explosive for a while

Advertisement
We talking about talent or stats? Obviously Willis, statistically, has been our best offensive player in recent history. Talent wise though...Gore > McGahee

Gore's vision is unreal, and he doesn't even get caught from behind in the NFL, nevermind against Rutgers, Temple or FSU. McGahee got hawked more than people like to remember. Even in the NFL, Gore gets a crease and he's gone. His shakes and vision are similar to Duke's.

I obv love gore...we all do...but he has been caught from behind a lot in the nfl...his success is a testament to his vision and instincts, but his speed hasnt been explosive for a while

Go look at how many 60+ yard runs Gore has had in the NFL. The dude is A bigger home run threat than he gets credit for. Certainly bigger than McGahee was.

Go watch some of Gore's NFL highlights and look at how many times he's smoked through a defense.

Advertisement
best offensive player since willis.....willis was a freaking beast that yr, i still say portis and the edge were better running backs than willis, but that yr u cant ay anyone was a better offensive weapon than willis.....he was just amazing.....that florida game woke me up. Everyone was saying that gore was better cause of that 01 year, but i just dont see how he was

best offensive player since willis.....willis was a freaking beast that yr, i still say portis and the edge were better running backs than willis, but that yr u cant ay anyone was a better offensive weapon than willis.....he was just amazing.....that florida game woke me up. Everyone was saying that gore was better cause of that 01 year, but i just dont see how he was

McGahee was a beast but Gore was on another level. That 2002 season, Gore probably would've been closer to 2,000 yards. McGahee wouldn't have even started if Gore didn't get injured. Even as time went on and both players went on to the NFL you could see who the better Running Back was.

We were spoiled here.

Jackson
Edge
Davenport
Portis
McGahee
Gore

McGahee was a beast but Gore was on another level. That 2002 season, Gore probably would've been closer to 2,000 yards. McGahee wouldn't have even started if Gore didn't get injured. Even as time went on and both players went on to the NFL you could see who the better Running Back was.

We were spoiled here.

Jackson
Edge
Davenport
Portis
McGahee
Gore

I have to take your word for it. I do rememeber gore in 01 when he was avg like 9 yards a carry backing up portis. That west virginia game was crazy the way he did them. Its just sad that most of us remember dude after he had those 2 surgeries on his knees....cause that the gore i compare to mcgahee and mcgahee wins by a landside. Taht 01 years i really cant compare cause he played sparingly....but good lord, we really were f'n spoiled. May be a bit of a homer, but i would put ferguson on that list too...yea it was down yrs but he did get a g rushing during our down yrs(ryan clement/collings yrs). ****, we had some beasts

Advertisement
Jesus Christ, I love Duke, but you guys are talking about him like he's the second coming of Barry Sanders.

Yes, he has the potential to be one of the all time greats here, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Let me ask you this, based solely off his Freshman season, would you rank any RB we've had since McGahee/Gore over him?

Tyrone Moss, Javarris James, Craig Cooper, Damien Berry, Mike James, Lamar Miller,...what other main backs am I missing? Charlie Jones, Derron Thomas, Lee Chambers, Shawnbrey McNeal, and a few other JAGs.

From that group I think Duke has already cemented his place as #1. Then you got Lamar at 2. T. Moss, JJ, Coop, Berry, and MJ follow him up. I'm not saying this off of his potential, not about what he could do this year and in the future, I'm saying that off of last year alone.

I may be shwoing my age, but i would take freshman yr edgerrin james over duke. Yes duke had more stats and was more elussive, but u wasnt bringing edge down, i kneew he was gonna be dope even with the limited stats he had....now i will say this, duke has a chance to shut me the f up soon, as a matter of fact, i hope he does

Wasn't he the one that got ran down by a bama DB and stripped of the ball?
Lamar...if you have to be honest ...guy won games for us NFL back etc...just should have never been red shirted

LMAO!!!!!!! it was lamar thomas that got hawked down....no one hawked down lamar miller....that osu game was luck....dude didnt have his fotting and they finally caught him 75 yards later while he was stumbling from the los

Best offensive player since....depends if you use the stats or if you speak of abilities in general:

Several players were under used at UM
- Hester (playbook or ability to use it)
- Olsen (terrible QBs)
- Winslow

Some players went on to much better careers in the NFL
- Gore (injuries at UM)

If Stats are Key
- Hankerson had two great seasons and would have had more but Harris killed him

He is probably the best offensive player since Willis. Duke will be running behind a beastly line and if the OC uses him right, expect big things.

Edge had ryan clements, ryan collins and scott covington....nuff said

Advertisement
Best offensive player since....depends if you use the stats or if you speak of abilities in general:

Several players were under used at UM
- Hester (playbook or ability to use it)
- Olsen (terrible QBs)
- Winslow

Some players went on to much better careers in the NFL
- Gore (injuries at UM)

If Stats are Key
- Hankerson had two great seasons and would have had more but Harris killed him

He is probably the best offensive player since Willis. Duke will be running behind a beastly line and if the OC uses him right, expect big things.

Edge had ryan clements, ryan collins and scott covington....nuff said
Yes, and I love me some edge. But he could not give us the all purpose yards that duke does. Edge was a throwback back and the UCLA game is still the greatest game I've seen.....but Duke is able to bring so much more to the table that, barring a catastrophe, I can't see how he does not leave here after his junior year as the best all around offensive player the U has had. Perhaps he's the benefactor of a depthless backfield, and not buried behind 2-3 other first rounders, but his skill set is undeniable and we seriously have a heisman type talent here, and it's kind of ridiculous if your are still on the "wait and see" team.

Duke has breakaway speed that McGahee didn't

To tell u the truth, at the U i only saw dge caught from behind once....that screen pass vs fsu. But **** I give that a pass because all fla boys run a **** near 4 nothing!!!!. Other than that i never seen willis caught from behind in any game at the u....i have seen duke caught from behind in hat Kstate and vtech game......now please, i am not saying that duke doesnt have breakaway speed, that would be idiotic. But to say that willis didnt have the breakaway speed duke has....it aint clear cut to me....now i will say that willis didnt have no where near the elusiveness that duke has. Duke has the best shakes i ever seen at the U and since reggie bush at usc

Advertisement
Back