Duke about to hire Manny - update: hired

Advertisement
Don't get the Manny hate. You could tell he really cared about this program and tried his best to make it work. It's not like he went out on bad terms like Golden and sued the school afterwards. He wasn't stubborn (like the head coaches we had before him) and tried adjusting when things weren't working. He just wasn't ready. Not saying I'm rooting for him to win the ACC but Manny is okay in my book.
I've no clue on how behind-the-scenes the program was run under his tutelage - many have said not well. Obviously his recruiting and evals ere a problem. But agreed, I don't hate the man - and don't wish him ill will except when he's playing us.

I wonder if he tries to take Likens from Lashlee to let him call plays. I doubt it because SMU now in ACC but he’d actually get to be the play caller.

Advertisement
Advertisement
SIAP

Per 247 Sports (12-6-23):

Sources: Duke football head coaching search focused on two candidates

All the buzz in coaching circles is that Penn State Defensive Coordinator Manny Diaz is the current favorite, although there is a second candidate who remains in contention according to other sources. If Diaz is ultimately Duke's selection, it would be the second consecutive head coach that King has hired who is an accomplished Defensive Coordinator. Unlike the last head coach, Diaz brings with him years of head coaching experience.

Season 4 Reaction GIF by The Office
Correction. Diaz bring years of head corching experience!!!

Advertisement
I will already be in Gainesville for Game 1.

I might fly down to see this Miami Duke game now lol. Especially if several of our “Manny recruited” portal guys wind up at Duke.

Manny with significantly less talent has a better record his first two years than Mario has right now. Manny is no great coach but he is not as bad as some made him out to be. Good luck to him.
Meh. I have to keep real. Manny was never going to be more than an 8-9 win guy max. He went 6-7, 8-3, and 7-5 in his final year. Mario is taking his lumps to build a national championship contender. He is also bringing in players that Manny could never get.

Comparing the two after two years is comparing apples and oranges. It is pointless. Manny took over for Richt and part of an established culture. All the players on the defensive side of the ball which, if you remember, regressed in year 3. Mario was handed Manny's players and Manny's culture. So, Manny already had 2 years of culture and 3 years of his players on defense before he got the HC job. Not an apples to apples comparison.

Look at Manny's year 3 and then compare that to Mario's year three. That's a true assessment of both coaches as they would have 3 recruiting classes under their belt and set their culture for the program. Was there a significant improvement in year 3? Manny - NO. Mario - TBD.

Manny is a DC. Mario is program builder and an OL coach. Both of which we needed much more than what Manny could provide.

Last edited:
Duke would be his last job. He can't recruit or develop. No one with top ACC talent is going to naturally go to Duke. And he wont' have Mullen's, Richt's or Franklin's coattails.
It’s pretty crazy that he’s getting another P5 head coaching gig so soon after failing at Miami. That didn’t work for Coker, Shannon, and Golden.

Advertisement
Can’t stomach reading through this whole thread but I’m surprised manny has the balls to be the head coach at Mack brown’s rival school

Will manny finally beat Mack? Or will Mack grab his neck again

Can’t stomach reading through this whole thread but I’m surprised manny has the balls to be the head coach at Mack brown’s rival school

Will manny finally beat Mack? Or will Mack grab his neck again
Mack is gonna pinch Manny’s right elbow so hard at the postgame handshake that Manny will wish he’d never been born.

Advertisement
Back