Draft - Miami Players Consensus Projections

It's a week before the draft - so I looked at different sites rankings of Miami players to see what their composite ranking would look like.

- I made an average of where they ranked overall and at their position.
- I only used sites that had an overall "big board" list of 250+ players (big enough to have all our players ranked)

Hopefully they all get drafted at the high end of their projections

View attachment 83664
Excellent analysis! Thank you for sharing it.

Advertisement
It’s been a difficult 18 years since our last national championship. Projections showing our 2 top draft choices as 3rd rounders reveals how far down the quality of our teams has fallen. In our glory days it was routine to have first rounders in every draft. We even had several first rounders in a few years. Now we occasionally have 1 first rounder in recent years.

We now place our players in the nfl but not the
abundance of high draft choices as in the past. We have been waiting for almost 2 decades to regain our dominance. Hopefully it will happen soon

This is exactly right

2000-2004 - 20 1st Rounders in 5 years
2005-2019 - 10 1st Rounders in 15 years

We won't recreate the talent we had in the early 2000's, but we have to get more top talent difference makers than we've had.

The projections are a bit flawed. I disagree with a lot of them, but taking this at face value.

Gerald Willis - the 10th ranked iDL typically goes off the board somewhere in Rounds 3 to 4 depending on the quality of the year or if there is a league wide need. Him being 86th says he's more of a late 3rd round pick. No projections have him anything higher than a high 3rd. Late 3, Early 4 seems like a safe projection.

Joe Jackson - 14th best EDGE...that is a 4th rounder pretty much every year. Only Drafttek has him as a R3 type player.

Johnson/Redwine - in the realm of 10-15 best (I'm going to assume safety, although I think Redwine could project well to CB)...but in those ranges, you're safely in the EARLY Round 4 range...their overall draft position based on this says they are more of a late 4 into the 5th round player.

Jackson - 21st best cornerback again, is a 4th round pick.

(btw - this would be an easier discussion if it were just "defensive back")

Homer - 19th best RB is a late 6, to late 7th depending on the year.

Advertisement
He left because he already graduated and there were financial issues, douchebag.

"Why did guard Venzell Boulware leave UM and turn pro (he might not even be drafted) when the Canes could have used him?
Because Boulware has already graduated and financial issues came into play."

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article228664144.html
Of course he graduated, he was a graduate transfer; douchebag. What do you think would be smarter, stay and be a guaranteed starter and boost your stock or declaring after part time action and mediocre play?

Joe Jackson is a good pass rusher on the edge too but they act like he isn’t for whatever reason. If the guys who they say have bend or moves on the edge (polite/burns) then why was joe Jackson so much more productive than them and averaged more sacks per year? Don’t make any sense but he’s going to be great value wherever he’s picked. I want The Bucs to take him in the 2nd or 3rd round

It's a loaded DE draft class and he didn't wow scouts with his workouts simple as that.

Of course he graduated, he was a graduate transfer; douchebag. What do you think would be smarter, stay and be a guaranteed starter and boost your stock or declaring after part time action and mediocre play?
A guy who was a rotational player at best on a bad Oline thinks he's going to be drafted?

Are we sure he graduated?

Joe Jackson is a good pass rusher on the edge too but they act like he isn’t for whatever reason. If the guys who they say have bend or moves on the edge (polite/burns) then why was joe Jackson so much more productive than them and averaged more sacks per year? Don’t make any sense but he’s going to be great value wherever he’s picked. I want The Bucs to take him in the 2nd or 3rd round
Because stats have nothing to do with how someone projects on the next level. He's not an elite pass rusher. You keep pumping the stat narrative every time he's brought up.

Advertisement
What's the excuse for all the draftniks having MJ so poorly rated? I know he's not some elite CB talent but he's got a ton of good film and he tested pretty well, especially for a bigger cornerback.

Slow feet.

A guy who was a rotational player at best on a bad Oline thinks he's going to be drafted?

Are we sure he graduated?
Exactly, it makes no sense. He may have graduated but if he did, he must've taken a lot of extra classes at Tennessee and Miami. He finished his Bachelor's in 3 years and was only here for a year.

Now that it's a week before the draft, this is how I think it'll play out:

3rd - Joe Jackson

4th - Gerald Willis & Sheldrick Redwine

5th - Michael Jackson

6th - Jaquan Johnson & Tyree St. Louis

7th - Travis Homer

Joe Jackson is a good pass rusher on the edge too but they act like he isn’t for whatever reason. If the guys who they say have bend or moves on the edge (polite/burns) then why was joe Jackson just as productive than them and averaged more sacks per year the last 3? No one is saying he has elite traits for pass rushing but he gets the job done regardless of his perceived limitations. Don’t make any sense but he’s going to be great value wherever he’s picked. I want The Bucs to take him in the 2nd or 3rd round. And “elite” traits be damned I’ll take joe Jackson over a guy like Rashan Gary ANY day who is projected top 10 mainly because of his elite athleticism because it **** sure ain’t because of what he’s done on the field

I would take Gary over Joe Jack any day of the week.

Advertisement
Willis was a disruptive force on our team last year. He's the steal of the draft if he's still on the board late 2nd. That guy is going to be a mainstay in the NFL.

I noticed that OP left off Pete’s big board for underclassmen.

I’d love to see how that one looks.

Advertisement
If Joe Jackson goes in the 3rd round or lower, some team is going to get tremendous value.
If Michael Jackson goes anywhere below the 3rd, he'll be another very valuable rookie contract.
Sheldrick Redwine after the 5th is tremendous value for his versatility.

The Dolphins are too ignorant to capture any of those guys' rookie contract value, of course.

I remember a day when Canes got drafted higher than they should have just on just talent because they were Canes and came in like 3rd year pros(they were considered the default pick whenever a team wasn’t sold on someone). I’m tired of our kids being bargains, we need harder training and player development.

I remember a day when Canes got drafted higher than they should have just on just talent because they were Canes and came in like 3rd year pros(they were considered the default pick whenever a team wasn’t sold on someone). I’m tired of our kids being bargains, we need harder training and player development.
Facts

IMO our player development has been trash.

Whether it's from a coaching standpoint or an S&C standpoint, our players leave Miami unpolished. You look at their draft analysis and there's always negative comments about their technique.

The guys we send to the NFL are making it there solely on their physical gifts. Joe Jackson, Chad Thomas, Mike Jackson, Gerald Willis, etc...all could've been better players IMO. They're all physically gifted and look amazing getting off the bus, but none of them got better while they were here. You can argue that if you want to, but if they were developed properly, with their physical attributes, then they would've been first/second rounders. The top programs are taking kids like them and turning them into early draft picks.

Coming out of high school, these weren't some genetically inferior low-rated kids who were "developed" into NFL players by our staff. These kids were sought after. Even as a Freshman, nobody ever questioned whether Joe Jackson or Chad Thomas could turn into an NFL player. The question would be what round. You can tell early who's got NFL potential. Barring any injuries, we already know that Nesta and Rouseau will be NFL prospects in a couple years. Development will determine WHERE.
And development has been an issue at Miami for some years. It shows in the W/L column and it shows in the NFL.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back