Dr Frenk's Latest Message

So then after his tenure @ MIA why did he go on to hire future NFL HC Cliff Kingsbury @ TTU, and get selected to the CFB playoff committee? Does this sound like a person who is incompetent & lacks football acumen to you?

The bottomline is it doesn't matter who the AD is @ MIA. They will be hamstrung regardless, and will face a monumental task trying to run a successful athletics program here.

You mean the guy who called Al Golden a "home run hire?"

Yes, it sure does sound like a person who is incompetent and lacks football acumen to me.

You sound like you think Miami has the same resources as Texas Tech, which means you're just another person calling yourself a 'Canes fan who doesn't understand the University of Miami very well.

Advertisement
So then after his tenure @ MIA why did he go on to hire future NFL HC Cliff Kingsbury @ TTU, and get selected to the CFB playoff committee? Does this sound like a person who is incompetent & lacks football acumen to you?

The bottomline is it doesn't matter who the AD is @ MIA. They will be hamstrung regardless, and will face a monumental task trying to run a successful athletics program here.

Don’t confuse confuse being a good politician and ladder climber with being an effective athletic director. He’s well spoken, presents himself well, and can get people to like him. And he still did a horrifically shltty job at Miami

Kliff played at TTU. So anyone could have walked off the street into that job and "hired" Cliff; especially if that's what the board and executive leadership of TTU wanted.

Advertisement
You mean the guy who called Al Golden a "home run hire?"

Obviously hindsight is 20/20, but at the time Golden was touted as a program builder and disciplinarian who ran a clean program. Hocutt hired him over Randy Edsall, Marc Trestman, & Kevin Sumlin. Would any of those coaches been a significant upgrade over Golden? Its tough to say. The bigger issue at the time was that the job was simply not attractive to more qualified & accomplished HCs like Jon Gruden & Chris Peterson who ended up rejecting the program. This is an unpopular opinion but I am of the belief that one of the main reasons why Golden failed was due to lack of administration accountability. Hocutt left for TTU shortly after hiring Golden, and had he stayed maybe he could've forced his hand to make changes to his defensive staff/philosophy.

You sound like you think Miami has the same resources as Texas Tech, which means you're just another person calling yourself a 'Canes fan who doesn't understand the University of Miami very well.

I don't think that. All i'm saying is that Hocutt had the potential to perform better with even middle of the road BIG12 team levels of resource allocation.

Don’t confuse confuse being a good politician and ladder climber with being an effective athletic director. He’s well spoken, presents himself well, and can get people to like him. And he still did a horrifically shltty job at Miami

You may be right, but that doesn't mean he lacks football acumen or deserves 100% of the blame for his tenure @ MIA. He played for legendary HC Bill Snyder and was a 4-yr letterman & all-conference player @ KSU. At a minimum I think he's knowledgable about football

There are a few people that really make the decisions for the school, Frenk isn’t one of them.
I never said he did. I'm talking about the position of President, not the person holding the title. How Frenk chooses to exercise that authority is on him.

Advertisement
This isn't meant to demean or mock Dr Frenk. By all accounts he is an accomplished academic. I do not know him personally, nor do many (perhaps all) of you. I post this and ask you to watch it. His message is sincere and well meaning.

Now ask yourself this: is this the "leader" the BoT has entrusted to even step foot in Miami's AD, let alone make a single decision, or even have input, into how Miami's competitive athletic programs are run? Many of us here have said for ages he has no role*.

The problem with our Canes isn't Manuela, it isn't James--they are symptoms and not root causes. The disappointment lays completely at the feet of the BoT, every single one of them, as they have hired poorly in the past and appear to have not learned a single thing from their mistakes.

Our Canes will return to greatness when the BoT becomes great themselves in regards to these key questions:

what do they want from the football/basketball/baseball programs?

are the resources available to make the vision happen?

are they prepared to make decisions, review progress, and make the necessary adjustments?

*updated for clarity 2111 CET

What did I miss?

julio has personally cost the university millions in donations because he still hasn't figured out that miami's politics are not the same as harvard's. he was an absentee president that wasn't going to have his contract renewed, but now with covid and his health background he might get stick around longer. the improvements to housing were going to happen with or without him, but he gets credit because he happens to be the president when the project finally got the green light. he's not the one running the show.

from a purely academic standpoint, shalala was a better president than he is, and that's taking her cedars debacle into account.

Frenk's contract was up in August of last year. Did it get extended?

Advertisement
julio has personally cost the university millions in donations because he still hasn't figured out that miami's politics are not the same as harvard's. he was an absentee president that wasn't going to have his contract renewed, but now with covid and his health background he might get stick around longer. the improvements to housing were going to happen with or without him, but he gets credit because he happens to be the president when the project finally got the green light. he's not the one running the show.

from a purely academic standpoint, shalala was a better president than he is, and that's taking her cedars debacle into account.

To be honest, I’ve never been enthralled with him. But this is a different issue. He has very little to do with the football side of things.

The fortunes, positive or negative, of the football program have very little to do with him, but in general I agree with your post. Overall he’s just not a fit for Miami in terms of the actual overall academic institution, from my distant perch.

I also don’t know what he has actively done to improve our overall medical/research reputation, which has improved, but I don’t think he has actively done anything in this regard. I mean Bascom Palmer was rated the number one ophthalmology hospital in the world before he came here and will continue to be after he leaves. Just a small example, but it’s illustrative.

Frenk's contract was up in August of last year. Did it get extended?

He's on a month-to-month lease.

It did NOT get extended 5 years, which is the normal for SUCCESSFUL Presidents that UM wants to retain. You can look up the tenure of every single UM President ever, and they are all on 5-year intervals (with a slop factor of 1 year for hiring/transition to the next President).

Advertisement
He's on a month-to-month lease.

It did NOT get extended 5 years, which is the normal for SUCCESSFUL Presidents that UM wants to retain. You can look up the tenure of every single UM President ever, and they are all on 5-year intervals (with a slop factor of 1 year for hiring/transition to the next President).
So.... Stavridis?

yeah, they weren't going to find a new president during covid, especially with his background. he got lucky with timing.

Unbelievably lucky. I think we COULD have identified and hired a new President, but (a) Covid interrupted the normal process of the BOT doing its search, (b) nobody wanted to "look bad" by pushing out a President during Covid, and (c) he had the "right set of skills" for a health crisis. Also, the ongoing timeframe of the pandemic still makes it look bad for us to be pushing out a Doctor/President at this time.

Let's say the US gets to 70% full vaccinations by the end of summer, and the country has herd immunity, I could see UM announcing a search at the end of 2021/beginning of 2022, with an intent to have someone in place by Summer 2022, which would essentially give Julio two extra years from his first five-year contract.

So.... Stavridis?

I was fine with it then, I'd be fine with it now.

I would imagine someone would need to figure out which BOT members had issues with Stavridis then, or even if there were any issues, and/or what needs to happen this time around to make him a consensus pick. We may not have a ton of love for certain things that Foote did or certain things that Shalala did, but I think that both were fairly well-acclaimed choices, from a leadership standpoint. Frenk was strong on the academic side, and completely bereft on the leadership side. Maybe the BOT sees Stavridis as the opposite of that. Not completely sure what swung the decision, but I've heard from several people in the know that at the UNIVERSITY LEVEL (deans, professors, key employees) that the consensus was that Frenk was a swing-and-a-miss within the first year or two.

It sucks that the real decision-makers (BOT) really have very little to do with interacting with the President on a daily and operational level. I'd love to see a smaller BOT with more faculty reps, student reps, athletic reps, and employee reps. I realize that may sound a bit idealistic, but we need some way to hear those voices, and independently-wealthy/independently-successful BOT members are simply not getting the job done.

I was fine with it then, I'd be fine with it now.

I would imagine someone would need to figure out which BOT members had issues with Stavridis then, or even if there were any issues, and/or what needs to happen this time around to make him a consensus pick. We may not have a ton of love for certain things that Foote did or certain things that Shalala did, but I think that both were fairly well-acclaimed choices, from a leadership standpoint. Frenk was strong on the academic side, and completely bereft on the leadership side. Maybe the BOT sees Stavridis as the opposite of that. Not completely sure what swung the decision, but I've heard from several people in the know that at the UNIVERSITY LEVEL (deans, professors, key employees) that the consensus was that Frenk was a swing-and-a-miss within the first year or two.

It sucks that the real decision-makers (BOT) really have very little to do with interacting with the President on a daily and operational level. I'd love to see a smaller BOT with more faculty reps, student reps, athletic reps, and employee reps. I realize that may sound a bit idealistic, but we need some way to hear those voices, and independently-wealthy/independently-successful BOT members are simply not getting the job done.

I like Stavridis as a person, I just don’t know what makes him qualified to be a major university president. I’m not saying he’s not it, I’m just saying I don’t know what he has in his background that would make him a homerun hire.

I imagine what we need, number one is someone that can generate mega donations like Shalala or better, and continue improving our academic standing and reputation.

I would also prefer somebody that had input, or at least to set the tone for a high bar for the athletic department. That’s not essential in the big scheme of things. I also would like someone that would immediately fire our AD (LOL), and do a nationwide search. But all that’s really in the hand of about four or five people in the BOT.

Advertisement
Back