Dr Frenk's Latest Message

Considering that he made quality hires at TTU in multiple revenue sports, odds are he wasn't even close to incompetent. From my experiences with the guy, he was an up and comer that got to Miami and realized that he was an AWFUL cultural fit. People forget that he was sounding the alarm about fundraising and the like the MOMENT he got here. He brought in a fresh mindset, a lot of the marketing hires that led to Miami upgrading in those areas happened under him. That said, Miami wasn't his cup of tea, and it sure as **** wasn't working for his family.
So, let me get this straight... he is so bright that he didn't know well enough to not take a job in a city/culture that, to quote you, was "an AWFUL cultural fit." I mean, most people don't understand that Miami and Texas are completely different places.

OK. That makes sense. He sounds brilliant.

Advertisement
I don’t buy this. A good BOT can manage both. We’ve had absolutely abysmal hires at the coaching position. Almost as if they are trying to throw the program. There have been many other better budget minded coaches who many clamored for but the BOT never bothered looking at. Then come the higher academic standards of the early 2000’s that forced is to deny many studs where other schools rated significantly higher than Miami admitted them. Then facilities. Thank God for Mark Richt and his fundraising or else we wouldn’t have an IPF even though it’s 2021.
No this BOT with exception of a few guys could care less about football.

So, so strange that the leadership would prioritize the SCHOOL over the FOOTBALL program, huh?

It's posts like this that shine a spotlight on how utterly clueless this fanbase is.

I'm assuming you have absolutely no comprehension of how many international students attend Miami, and how little they or their parents care about football.

So, let me get this straight... he is so bright that he didn't know well enough to not take a job in a city/culture that, to quote you, was "an AWFUL cultural fit." I mean, most people don't understand that Miami and Texas are completely different places.

OK. That makes sense. He sounds brilliant.
Brilliant people underestimate jobs or cultural issues with same all the time. That's why you have people that get somewhere, realize it isn't for them and move on. Hocutt may have gotten to Miami, thinking that it would be different, and then once he got here realized that it was even more different than what he originally planned. Who knows what he was promised in regards to booster support, and whether it materialized. I do know from interactions with Kirby that he was disgusted with things like facilities and how people weren't really ready to commit to making wholesale upgrades early on. I remember listening to him at an alumni event and he was brutally honest about what the football program needed in regards to facilities, and this was in 2008.

It's already known that his FAMILY(especially his wife) loathed Miami, and that was also an issue. This fanbase has a huge issue with thinking that hires are either good or awful, there's no in between. Hocutt was a guy that tried to modernize the athletic department, but wasn't nearly here long enough to see a lot through. Looking at what he has accomplished at TTU, it's obvious that he has some **** clue what he is doing. He was a significantly better hire than Eichorst and James. Frankly, Hocutt is the only AD hire in the last 30+ years(Dee wasn't great either, he just happened to luck out on some things), that was anywhere near inspired.

I don’t buy this. A good BOT can manage both. We’ve had absolutely abysmal hires at the coaching position. Almost as if they are trying to throw the program. There have been many other better budget minded coaches who many clamored for but the BOT never bothered looking at. Then come the higher academic standards of the early 2000’s that forced is to deny many studs where other schools rated significantly higher than Miami admitted them. Then facilities. Thank God for Mark Richt and his fundraising or else we wouldn’t have an IPF even though it’s 2021.
No this BOT with exception of a few guys could care less about football.
This "Miami academic standards killed us" myth has to end. The ONLY problem with Miami standards not dropping to the NCAA's laughable sliding scale was that Larry Coker was in charge and he was a lazy jackass that just wanted the school to give him what he wanted. Ever notice that Shannon, Golden, Richt and now Diaz are able to get kids in, and graduation rates remain high? They are able to do that because 1)They work with admissions to recognize at risk kids and give them a roadmap to admission(the long lasting legacy of Randy Shannon), and 2)They aren't lazy douchebags that didn't even try to recruit.

This "Miami academic standards killed us" myth has to end. The ONLY problem with Miami standards not dropping to the NCAA's laughable sliding scale was that Larry Coker was in charge and he was a lazy jackass that just wanted the school to give him what he wanted. Ever notice that Shannon, Golden, Richt and now Diaz are able to get kids in, and graduation rates remain high? They are able to do that because 1)They work with admissions to recognize at risk kids and give them a roadmap to admission(the long lasting legacy of Randy Shannon), and 2)They aren't lazy douchebags that didn't even try to recruit.
One of the reasons that Butch Davis left was his frustration over Shalala raising the standards for athletes above that of the NCAA, as if Miami was some Ivy League school, which it absolutely is not. After Coker left Shannon had the same issues actually. Al Golden was the one who actually convinced Shalatard to create a program similar (but not exactly the same) to the one Frank Gore (who was a special needs student) had for kids who did not have the entrance requirements. It has nothing to do with lazyness. Please have a clue next time you speak.

Advertisement
“We made it through this period without a singe documents case of in-classroom transmission.”

Was he bragging about the advances the U made in that quote and mentioning completing two semesters on campus during Covid, and somehow is equating that to the need to get vaccinated? Thats an interesting way to come at it. You might use those same quotes to make the opposite argument in relation to a college-aged population.

One of the reasons that Butch Davis left was his frustration over Shalala raising the standards for athletes above that of the NCAA, as if Miami was some Ivy League school, which it absolutely is not. After Coker left Shannon had the same issues actually. Al Golden was the one who actually convinced Shalatard to create a program similar (but not exactly the same) to the one Frank Gore (who was a special needs student) had for kids who did not have the entrance requirements. It has nothing to do with lazyness. Please have a clue next time you speak.

LOL. Try getting your facts straight.

Lmao.

Actually, that is factually inaccurate. Butch wanted to be paid like he was a top tier coach, which he wasn't. He also had designs on the NFL for years(He threw a tantrum when Jerry Jones didn't give him the Cowboys job). He also wanted Miami to adjust DOWNWARD, because the NCAA actually dropped their minimums from what they were before. Miami wasn't going to do that, because as anyone that actually attended the institution will tell you, we don't have a ton of "Jock Majors" for dumbasses to hide in. Even the easier majors do require you to take some college courses. It's amazing how many of our "Fans" get mad at the school for expecting student-athletes to be able to read and write at an acceptable level when they get to campus. This isn't Alabama, we actually give a **** about the kids that wear those uniforms.

Even your timeline is wrong. Randy Shannon was the guy who first started working with admissions to identify at risk kids and give them an actionable plan to gain admission. What's funny is that Frank Gore got in, same with Devin Hester, same with a lot of other guys that were borderline. The kids that didn't get in were in a lot of cases guys that couldn't get in **** near anywhere outside of places like WVU, Marshall and the dregs of the SEC. A guy like Ali Highsmith, who was on the cusp, but felt insulted that Miami wouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt are few and far between. Miami will not and SHOULD not ever just be an open door for any at risk kid that comes along, because we have a responsibility to ensure that these kids have a fair shot at graduating, provided they take advantage of the world class academic support on offer. For you to even be on the cusp, and not have a learning disability is more of an indictment of the kid than anything else. In a world where you can get a B for merely showing up to a lot of classes and making an honest attempt, you should be able to meet the laughably low standards for a student-athlete.

Out of curiosity, do you realize how low the actual standard is, compared to the rest of the student body? We aren't asking for our student-athletes to be practically indistinguishable from the typical undergraduate student with only a select few maybe receiving a break (IE Stanford, The military academies, Northwestern), we are just asking that they take a course load in HS that would prepare them to take college classes. In other words, taking(and passing) Algebra, multiple years of English, multiple science courses. Combine that with a SAT/ACT score that any relatively intelligent person should be able to reach and you have a fighting chance to get in. Miss me with the "Miami academics are killing us" argument, because it's lazy and flat out untrue.

Advertisement
Actually, that is factually inaccurate. Butch wanted to be paid like he was a top tier coach, which he wasn't. He also had designs on the NFL for years(He threw a tantrum when Jerry Jones didn't give him the Cowboys job). He also wanted Miami to adjust DOWNWARD, because the NCAA actually dropped their minimums from what they were before. Miami wasn't going to do that, because as anyone that actually attended the institution will tell you, we don't have a ton of "Jock Majors" for dumbasses to hide in. Even the easier majors do require you to take some college courses. It's amazing how many of our "Fans" get mad at the school for expecting student-athletes to be able to read and write at an acceptable level when they get to campus. This isn't Alabama, we actually give a **** about the kids that wear those uniforms.

Even your timeline is wrong. Randy Shannon was the guy who first started working with admissions to identify at risk kids and give them an actionable plan to gain admission. What's funny is that Frank Gore got in, same with Devin Hester, same with a lot of other guys that were borderline. The kids that didn't get in were in a lot of cases guys that couldn't get in **** near anywhere outside of places like WVU, Marshall and the dregs of the SEC. A guy like Ali Highsmith, who was on the cusp, but felt insulted that Miami wouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt are few and far between. Miami will not and SHOULD not ever just be an open door for any at risk kid that comes along, because we have a responsibility to ensure that these kids have a fair shot at graduating, provided they take advantage of the world class academic support on offer. For you to even be on the cusp, and not have a learning disability is more of an indictment of the kid than anything else. In a world where you can get a B for merely showing up to a lot of classes and making an honest attempt, you should be able to meet the laughably low standards for a student-athlete.

Out of curiosity, do you realize how low the actual standard is, compared to the rest of the student body? We aren't asking for our student-athletes to be practically indistinguishable from the typical undergraduate student with only a select few maybe receiving a break (IE Stanford, The military academies, Northwestern), we are just asking that they take a course load in HS that would prepare them to take college classes. In other words, taking(and passing) Algebra, multiple years of English, multiple science courses. Combine that with a SAT/ACT score that any relatively intelligent person should be able to reach and you have a fighting chance to get in. Miss me with the "Miami academics are killing us" argument, because it's lazy and flat out untrue.
Everything I’ve said is factually accurate. One of the reasons Butch left was the frustration he was having over Shalatard refusing to use the NCAA standards, hence making it harder to get into UM than other schools it was competing with. Her proposed solution was to send them to a JUCO or other prep program for a year or two and reapply. And time has proven him right as we lost out on several difference makers in the 2000’s. I realize Butch also left for other reasons: money, NFL etc. But his fighting with Dee and the incoming president was one of the reasons as well. As far as what Miami’s admission standards are for student athletes, if they are above the NCAA min they are too high. It is already hard enough to complete with other schools, several of which are better rated schools academically anyway. But then you make it harder to get in than those schools and it contributes to what we have, a 20 year **** show at football.
As far as who did what, Butch, Coker and Shannon all worked with kids to get them into school, but like I said it was Al Golden who worked with Shalatard to create a program to identity at risk potential recruits and begin working with them early in their High School years and then throughout their college years to allow them to get into UM and succeed. All should have noticed than we pretty much have been getting the kids we recruited admitted almost at a 100% clip since Golden’s tenure. I was not a Golden fan but that is one thing I do appreciate that he did.

Everything I’ve said is factually accurate. One of the reasons Butch left was the frustration he was having over Shalatard refusing to use the NCAA standards, hence making it harder to get into UM than other schools it was competing with. Her proposed solution was to send them to a JUCO or other prep program for a year or two and reapply. And time has proven him right as we lost out on several difference makers in the 2000’s. I realize Butch also left for other reasons: money, NFL etc. But his fighting with Dee and the incoming president was one of the reasons as well. As far as what Miami’s admission standards are for student athletes, if they are above the NCAA min they are too high. It is already hard enough to complete with other schools, several of which are better rated schools academically anyway. But then you make it harder to get in than those schools and it contributes to what we have, a 20 year **** show at football.
As far as who did what, Butch, Coker and Shannon all worked with kids to get them into school, but like I said it was Al Golden who worked with Shalatard to create a program to identity at risk potential recruits and begin working with them early in their High School years and then throughout their college years to allow them to get into UM and succeed. All should have noticed than we pretty much have been getting the kids we recruited admitted almost at a 100% clip since Golden’s tenure. I was not a Golden fan but that is one thing I do appreciate that he did.

Good Lord man, good Lord. Did you take a stupid pill? You can’t even get basic facts right. And I’m not defending anybody here.

You’re as mentally disturbed as your profile pic.

Oh, crap, I was excited for about 10 seconds by Julio's latest e-mail:

"A Change of Leadership

at the School of Law"

Dammit, Julio, I thought you were announcing your resignation. Why must you taunt me like this...

Oh, crap, I was excited for about 10 seconds by Julio's latest e-mail:

"A Change of Leadership

at the School of Law"

Dammit, Julio, I thought you were announcing your resignation. Why must you taunt me like this...

I was about to post that letter in the off-topic and ask the UM-grad lawyers what the **** happened at the law school. Most of the time if making a change in administration, senior leadership will just say, "We've decided to move in a new direction and want to thank Dean X for his or her service" and there is generally a positive tone. But this letter makes it sound like Dean Varona (way after my time so don't know who he or she is) f#cked up and is basically getting fired. Made me curious if there was some controversy I didn't hear about... maybe folks are ****ed the law school keeps dropping in the rankings?

Advertisement
I was about to post that letter in the off-topic and ask the UM-grad lawyers what the **** happened at the law school. Most of the time if making a change in administration, senior leadership will just say, "We've decided to move in a new direction and want to thank Dean X for his or her service" and there is generally a positive tone. But this letter makes it sound like Dean Varona (way after my time so don't know who he or she is) f#cked up and is basically getting fired. Made me curious if there was some controversy I didn't hear about... maybe folks are ****ed the law school keeps dropping in the rankings?

I don't think it would be "dropping in the rankings". The guy has only been Dean for 2 years, you can't possibly fvck up "the rankings" that badly in only 2 years.

It has to be something bad enough that they have to blow him out after 2 years, but not bad enough that still allows him to retain his teaching position and endowed chair.

I don't think it would be "dropping in the rankings". The guy has only been Dean for 2 years, you can't possibly fvck up "the rankings" that badly in only 2 years.

It has to be something bad enough that they have to blow him out after 2 years, but not bad enough that still allows him to retain his teaching position and endowed chair.
I thought the same, but then they said they are keeping him on as a professor, so it couldn’t have been anything too bad. Or so you’d think. The letter also gave zero indication that Frenk’s time is running out.

I thought the same, but then they said they are keeping him on as a professor, so it couldn’t have been anything too bad. Or so you’d think. The letter also gave zero indication that Frenk’s time is running out.

Yeah, that's what I said at the end, that he is retaining his endowed chair and teaching role. So, not anything so horrible. ****, my Civ Pro professor was forced out of UM (back in the 90s) for multiple acts of stalking my female classmates.

As for Frenk, yes, I was just joking. Sadly, it seems the BOT keeps letting him rent the president's house on a month-to-month basis...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Yeah, that's what I said at the end, that he is retaining his endowed chair and teaching role. So, not anything so horrible. ****, my Civ Pro professor was forced out of UM (back in the 90s) for multiple acts of stalking my female classmates.

As for Frenk, yes, I was just joking. Sadly, it seems the BOT keeps letting him rent the president's house on a month-to-month basis...
My crim pro was arrested for solicitation of prostitution and then walked us down the aisle at graduation.

Shalala wasn't even at UM when Butch was there....had absolutely nothing to do with his departure....Butch left Jan 2nd 2001...Shalala became President June of 2001....No correlation whatsoever....

Advertisement
Back