Down to #8 on Rivals... won't be long now

UCF and MSU can laugh all they want. But FSU and BAMA, darlings of the star system, prove otherwise.

Great coaching can make mediocre talent great.
Bad coaching can make elite talent mediocre.
Elite talent and good coaching wins rings.

Oh and in case u haven't picked up yet, our coaching is sub par at best.

Advertisement
I don't follow recruiting closely but I'd always prefer to be near the top of the rankings and let the suckers scramble for exceptions. Exceptions are for losers. The true Canes can go elsewhere every time if they are swapped for a 5 star kid who always hated Miami until he signed with us.

I bet college sports based on preseason ratings. Those ratings are historically more accurate at the top of the list as opposed to second ten, where it gets more fuzzy. I'd guess the same holds true of recruiting rankings. Not a linear reliability. The actual gap between 5th and 20th is probably more vast and sturdy than between 20th and 40th or 50th. Power ratings disperse the same way. There is always more of a gap between first and 20th than 20th and 50th. Often the gap is nearly twice as wide, like 20 points compared to 12.

I would understand what 15th or 20th means. That's what I'm saying. It might seem like a nice place to be but it's a heck of a lot tighter to middle of the pack than it seems, and cavernous to the annual blue bloods.

Kinda reminds me of the mythical "Top 10" class of 2009.

We won't be top 10 by the time this thing is over with. Gates, Dawgs, and a few others still gunna leap our Canes.

I only mention this because I often find it funny when some decide to throw out "top 3 class.. blah blah blah" to any criticism no matter how constructive.

Same was said in 2009. The class ended up in the mid teens to low 20s because we couldn't close on some big names late and because we lost a huge commit in Bryce Brown.

sound familiar?

In closing...

Feel free to toss out "Top 10 class...." for a few more weeks... but I don't think you're gunna have too much longer.

Dude, who cares... It's a really good class and it addresses a lot of needs... Also Rivals is subject to local subscriber pressure (hint, hint, hint). Espn tends to be a little more objective in my opinion...

There are handful of elite classes every year. The difference between being ranked 8th vs 13th is nothing. To me does the class have potential difference makers at all levels and does it fill your needs. Love the class we have coming in if Wyche makes it in and Valentine recommits. Without Valentine especially I'm nowhere near as thrilled.

Advertisement

We won't be top 10 by the time this thing is over with. Gates, Dawgs, and a few others still gunna leap our Canes.
I only mention this because I often find it funny when some decide to throw out "top 3 class.. blah blah blah" to any criticism no matter how constructive.
Same was said in 2009. The class ended up in the mid teens to low 20s because we couldn't close on some big names late and because we lost a huge commit in Bryce Brown.

Please point out the 'constructive' aspect of this post.

UCF and Michigan State laugh at the star system. Our class is pretty **** awesome, need Valentine back in the fold and to close JC Jackson. And even without them, we've done a pretty good job at those positions.

Maybe they can develop talent and that is why they have found some success. Does make one think about talent development in the process or is the jury still out?

sound familiar?

In closing...

Feel free to toss out "Top 10 class...." for a few more weeks... but I don't think you're gunna have too much longer.

Enough of this....

158.gif

Advertisement
Those rankings are weighted heavily on volume. We had many more commits than most for a long time. The others are catching up. That's all it is. Randy's 2008 class, and Al's 2012 benefited from high numbers. Our average "star" ranking isn't that great (if star rankings mean anything to you).

Stars are important, yes--absolutely. Not only for the talent on the field, but also because there's a pack mentality amongst top rated players. Be it either the "hot" school landing a great class and other kids wanting to jump on board (Tennessee this year, Ole Miss last year), or F$U/Bama/tOSU* having excellent seasons and drawing the top talent from all over the country.

The odds are that you get more 4*/5* kids if you land more 4*/5* kids. Those guys see each other at camps/combines, and they know who's good and who isn't. So, they know who they want to play with as a result...and they want to play with other highly talented players for the most part.

Then, you have schools like Miami, of which, there aren't many. The recruiting base in South Florida is fertile and rich. Miami shouldn't really have to go outside of South Florida, much less the state of Florida, to recruit. That's been covered ad nauseum. Texas recruiting might be the only other place where recruiting is similar. The difference there is, kids in the state of Texas covet Longhorn offers 2-3 years before their senior season of HS, and if they get it--they commit. We don't hold that kind of prestige in South Florida right now due to a multitude of factors, some our fault, some not.

Given those things--this year's class isn't "ideal" (yet), but the numbers are looking more like they should. Per Rivals, we have only One 5* (Chad Thomas), Eleven 4* kids, and Sixteen 3* kids. Those numbers need to trend more from the 3* and towards the 4/5* pool. Due to misses on guys in-state like Lane/Cook/Dixon/Sony/Rudolph/Treon Harris/Sean White/Demarcus Christmas/Keyon Brown/etc...it's not where it needs to be. Compare that to 2013's class from last year, and they had ZERO 5* kids, Nine 4* kids, and Eight 3* kids. The talent coming in has to be better...and at least from last year to this one, it's *wince* trending upward (neg away). We need to get better at tapping into that group mentality with recruits--getting them to bring more 4/5* kids with them to Miami.

One thing that is looking better is the number of FL kids we are taking. of our 28 recruits right now, 19 of them are from Florida, only 9 from out of state. That's an in-state percentage of about 68%. Compare that to last year, when only 6 of the 19 kids in that class were from Florida--a percentage of 31.5%. The 2012 class was 81% Florida kids. IMO--Unless we have to go out of state (to JUCO or HS) for a position of need (aka - DT), around 70-80% or more of the class should be from Florida. Last year's class dipped dramatically on that percentage for a lot of reasons. There's just too much in-state talent for that percentage not to be that high each and every year. That has to get better and become more consistent.

Those rankings are weighted heavily on volume. We had many more commits than most for a long time. The others are catching up. That's all it is. Randy's 2008 class, and Al's 2012 benefited from high numbers. Our average "star" ranking isn't that great (if star rankings mean anything to you).
If you want to get into that:

2014 (currently): 13th, and best in ACC (F$U 14th)
2013: 15th, 2nd best in ACC (F$U 11th)
2012: 17th, 3rd best in ACC (F$U 2nd, Clemson 13th)
2011: 28th, 4th best in ACC (F$U 9th, Clemson 16th, UNC 18th)

...so that's going in the right direction, both for national and conference purposes.

Advertisement
True TK. You make an excellent point, but as you know great recruiting and great coaching are not mutually exclusive. We need both.

Still not a believer in the whole star ranking system.

Look what Duke has done with their recruiting classes ranked in the 60s and 70s the last 3+ years.

Competent coaching and development >>> star rankings.

To me watching that game last night, the biggest difference between us and a team like FSU is dominant DT play. I know they have a great QB and I'm not underestimating that importance. But, what jumped out at me was the FSU DL. That asshat Jernigan was **** near unblockable for large portions of that game and so was Edwards, I know he's a DE but he's built like a DT. We desperately need some homeruns at this positon and losing Valentine and possibly Wyche is an absolute killer.

We will never compete on that level again until we can recruit that positon better, plain and simple.

A lot of folks are "glass half full" when it come to recruiting numbers but the dominant teams don't have a class full of sleepers and rare finds.

This reminds me of the class we signed after going to the title game which was very underwhelming.

Advertisement
A lot of folks are "glass half full" when it come to recruiting numbers but the dominant teams don't have a class full of sleepers and rare finds.

This reminds me of the class we signed after going to the title game which was very underwhelming.

Reminds me more of what a UM class should look like especially if Valentine is in the mix. A lot of the 3 star kids are well thought of Florida kids. Some elite talent on both sides of the ball. Could use an elite LB prospect and WR. I'm not holding my breath on JC or Valentine coming in but add those two to the current list and I'm extremely pleased.

Valentine isn't coming. Time to move on from that

Kids don't decommit in January and end up signing with the original school. We may have had 1 in the last 10 years. So all up guys saying this is a great class but we need valentine need to start coming up with some other out for yourselves

Trolling or bringing negativity to the recruiting board is sad.

Please explain how this helps turn the program around.

You mean it's up to us? Funny, I haven't been getting my check!

Trolling or bringing negativity to the recruiting board is sad.

Please explain how this helps turn the program around.

Please explain how any post helps turn the program around?

If you can explain that to me, please... pretty please... tell me what it is. I fly in for 1 game per year and haven't seen Miami win since UF in 2004. If there's a post I can make to help change that I'm all in.

It has been outlined to us multiple times on here that recruits and families read the recruiting boards and negativity could impact their mindsets. Since both of you have been around a long time, you may or may not agree with that premise. That being said, if negativity on a recruiting board could even slightly have a negative impact on the recruits, and therefore the program everyone wants turned around, why do it.

For negativity and bashing of the program and coaches, there are two convenient boards for this -- the WEZ, from which you came to visit us, which excels at everything from complete nonsense to **** to some of the best threads you will ever read no matter the seriousness of the content --- the other is the football board here - once designed with the goal to discuss football, but now available for schtick, misinformation, buffoonery, bashing each other and football.

You both know exactly what I am talking about as Mbecks has posted several recruiting related posts on Star Rankings that add value to any board, while other posts in here are poking at how we may no longer be ranked in the Top 10, and how we will no longer be able to say that in defense of the staff, as if somehow that is actually good for UM football.

Valentine isn't coming. Time to move on from that

Kids don't decommit in January and end up signing with the original school. We may have had 1 in the last 10 years. So all up guys saying this is a great class but we need valentine need to start coming up with some other out for yourselves
all due respect you may be right but i would prefer to hear what pete or one of the other guys says after speaking to the kid.

Advertisement
Back