Dorsett replaces Benjamin at PR, Seantrel to start

The pic is Johnny Knox but the statement "snatches the ball and adjusts to poor throws" doesn't describe
TB he has been reprimanded for not going after bad throws in the past..

Advertisement
The pic is Johnny Knox but the statement "snatches the ball and adjusts to poor throws" doesn't describe

You'll be surprised what people will say when they take a look at his clips. He has A LOT of good film. His reprimands have mainly come from Randy Shannon. Some may be merited, but others were Randy confusing game film with Band of Brothers clips.

We're harsh on a lot of our players because of our expectations. TB certainly has flaws and that's why he's likely to be a mid to late Round pick. Have you watched Knox play? They're not exact comparisons, but they have similar areas of struggle and body compositions. Add in that they're both speed guys first and WRs second, and I think you'll see the chance for a similar career for TB.

I said this in grassy and i'll say it here. TB is along strider who has to gather his feet to make a cut. Generally guys like that don't make great returners as they can't cut sharply and maintain their speed. Dorsett seems like the same kinda player in the little i've seen of him but i could be wrong. The players with the best feet cutting wise is clements or thompkins but there must be a reason why those guys are back there

Interesting take. How do you account for the successes that TB has had as a returner?

I also think that Phil Dorsett will be a good returner. Im just not a fan of freshmens returning punts. I should also state that Im a big fan of TWO punt returners on every punt.

Most of TB success comes when he get's to the edges. When he's in space and has to make people miss he is usually render'd ineffective. Notice how he nveer jukes anyone he just tried to outrun them. He's not a quick cut and go guy meaning he can't make a bunch of cuts and maintain his speed. Seems like it takes TB a wile to get up to top speed while guys like hester/williams/moss can reach top speed in a few steps.

Soo funny guys. I remember bringing this same point up on Ferman's site a few years ago and guys just cussing up a storm at me. "you don't know what your talking about." "TB is the fastest guy in the universe." "Go back to your mommy's basement." Like I said too funny.

TB cannot and does not stop on a dime. He needs a little bit too much room/time to gather himself and change directions. He cannot just stop and go like Santana or Roscoe used to.

He is more Darryl Jones than Santana Moss when it comes to change of direction. Is he fast? Yeah he's fast but there is something about those jitterbug stop and go dudes (see Arkansas returner and of course Hester) that can break a game wide open.

I said this in grassy and i'll say it here. TB is along strider who has to gather his feet to make a cut. Generally guys like that don't make great returners as they can't cut sharply and maintain their speed. Dorsett seems like the same kinda player in the little i've seen of him but i could be wrong. The players with the best feet cutting wise is clements or thompkins but there must be a reason why those guys are back there

Interesting take. How do you account for the successes that TB has had as a returner?

I also think that Phil Dorsett will be a good returner. Im just not a fan of freshmens returning punts. I should also state that Im a big fan of TWO punt returners on every punt.

Most of TB success comes when he get's to the edges. When he's in space and has to make people miss he is usually render'd ineffective. Notice how he nveer jukes anyone he just tried to outrun them. He's not a quick cut and go guy meaning he can't make a bunch of cuts and maintain his speed. Seems like it takes TB a wile to get up to top speed while guys like hester/williams/moss can reach top speed in a few steps.

Soo funny guys. I remember bringing this same point up on Ferman's site a few years ago and guys just cussing up a storm at me. "you don't know what your talking about." "TB is the fastest guy in the universe." "Go back to your mommy's basement." Like I said too funny.

TB cannot and does not stop on a dime. He needs a little bit too much room/time to gather himself and change directions. He cannot just stop and go like Santana or Roscoe used to.

He is more Darryl Jones than Santana Moss when it comes to change of direction. Is he fast? Yeah he's fast but there is something about those jitterbug stop and go dudes (see Arkansas returner and of course Hester) that can break a game wide open.

That would be Joe Adams...originally committed to USC, but Petrino flipped him in the end.

Yea there's a big difference between quick(acceleration) and fast(top end speed). In IMO, you want a punt returner that's quick. Obviously, if they're some of both that's even better. Hester's 40 times were never anything jaw dropping, but his acceleration is unreal. Other than that, you want a guy that can make quick decisions and be able to see the field and know where to find a crease. That's not really something you can teach. Some guys just have it, others don't.

Advertisement
Yea there's a big difference between quick(acceleration) and fast(top end speed). In IMO, you want a punt returner that's quick. Obviously, if they're some of both that's even better. Hester's 40 times were never anything jaw dropping, but his acceleration is unreal. Other than that, you want a guy that can make quick decisions and be able to see the field and know where to find a crease. That's not really something you can teach. Some guys just have it, others don't.

So who on this team has that type (or similar) acceleration/quickness?

Kevin Grooms

damnit

Kevin Grooms

damnit

SMH on that one. Kid would have been a player here.

I think Dorsett is more on the quick side. Not on Hester's level, but still quick. And like I said before, I definitely think Grooms had that and would've like to see what he could do. Other than that, I think we'll have to wait for the incoming freshman. I think at least one Waters, Jenkins, and Southward could be those guys.

Advertisement
Dorsett is fast (10.5 100m, 21.1 200m 47 something quarter) He's a turnover guy. Nice smooth turnover when he runs. We used to do drill called "fast legs" that mimic that at Mich St. He looks like a guy who may have to gather his feet when cutting but his laterall movement is a lil better than TB. Interested in seeing what he can do.

Never was a fan of Benjamin as a returner. He cuts side to side, rather than downhill, and doesn't break tackles. Dorsett is better, but he strikes me as a better receiver than "ball in his hands" guy.

Grooms would have been that guy.

You'll be surprised what people will say when they take a look at his clips. He has A LOT of good film. His reprimands have mainly come from Randy Shannon. Some may be merited, but others were Randy confusing game film with Band of Brothers clips.

We're harsh on a lot of our players because of our expectations. TB certainly has flaws and that's why he's likely to be a mid to late Round pick. Have you watched Knox play? They're not exact comparisons, but they have similar areas of struggle and body compositions. Add in that they're both speed guys first and WRs second, and I think you'll see the chance for a similar career for TB.

As much as I point out TB flaws I have no doubt either he will be drafted but I'm leaning towards the late round..
I think this video speaks volumes on TB strengths and weaknesses as a returner:
[video=youtube_share;4SLg_o4FdJA]http://youtu.be/4SLg_o4FdJA[/video]

Advertisement
May as well put myself on record saying I'd be shocked if Benjamin slips past the second day (third round).

He had two big mistakes the past two weeks, but other than that his senior film is pretty clean. He'd be ideal on a team with a big armed QB. My only hope is they don't draft him expecting to be a returner.

All I will say is the demotion was well deserved. That was as about as boneheaded a football play as you could make.

I dont know why people are shaming TB: He played a ****** game and made a horrendous play, but he has been pretty solid for the most part of his career. I think he too will get drafted, somewhere around 5th or 6th round. He runs pretty good routes, has good speed and his hands are alright.

I like TB as a football player. Just needs to stay focused for an entire dam game instead if 45-55mins per. Next year the kid from norland looks like a viable option but his size/durabiltiy may be concern. he could turn out to be one one of those smallaih tough cats like mccluster or warrick dunn

Advertisement
Never understood why Thompkins hasn't found a role at PR.

Of course, I don't watch practice and rarely see him play at all, but he seems Roscoe-ish in terms of quickness/shiftiness.

Is he unreliable? Can't catch a punt consistently? The (very) little I've seem of KT suggests he'd be a good PR.

Any insight?

Last edited:
TB would get cracked in half the first time he gets hit in an NFL practice

how many times has he been injured here? I've seen him take huge shots and come right back. kid is very tough and is what 6th on the all time receiving list at Miami?

Here's a pre-draft writeup of a prospect that has "made it" in the NFL and has a lot of the same attributes Benjamin will show:

Positives: Adequate height with wiry upper body strength and good muscle definition in his arms. Not your typical slight small-school receiver. Good initial quickness off the snap to get into his route. Reliable hands; snatches the ball and adjusts to poor throws. Gets up to high-point and secure the catch. Sinks his hips and displays quick feet going into and out of routes. Has good vision and is elusive running in the open field. Works hard to block downfield, and will sustain and even dominate against smaller corners. Experienced as a punt returner.

Negatives: Thin through the hips and legs. Gets a lot of his yardage after short routes, screens and swing passes. Lacks elite speed or quickness, but had enough to be special at the FCS level. Easily tripped up in the open field. Does not switch the ball to the outside hand. Despite his strong effort, he lacks the bulk and strength to be effective against NFL defenders. Dances and runs backward too much after the catch or on returns - will not get away with that at the next level.

Who is it?

30.jpg

that is somewhat similar but TB is pretty tough to bring down for his size. I wouldn't say that he gets tripped up easily at all. dude usually gets YAC and falls forward. I'd say he has great balance too. also he is a legit deep threat unlike what the write up says.

I think he is similar to Desean Jackson but is actually more physical with probably a little less wiggle

I think D$'s point that TB cuts east-west rather than north-south is the reason why he's only an average KO return man, and is often useless (despite his many great returns) on punt returns. When TB does shine is when he cuts upfield hard and accelerates. TB has top-end speed and quicks. I lol'd when I read somewhere in this thread that he's not good in space. I've never seen him brought down 1 on 1 when it's just him and another guy and he's got forward momentum. I've never seen him caught from behind. He'd be elite if he consistently cut field more often.

Advertisement
Back