Don't have a subscription, but just saw this....potential hire?

Exactly. We aren't hiring a failed safeties coach to be DC. It's very likely an analyst/admin type hire.
He wasn't failed. Michigan hired a new DC and Shoop was away from the team for something undisclosed which is why I brought up "similar to Stroud". Maybe it was strictly COVID related but he wasn't doing on-field stuff in November

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
He did a good job as Miss State’s DC in 2018, they had the #1 ranked scoring Defense & #3 ranked total Defense.

Idk if he’s coming in as DC or as an analyst but he’d be a very good addition to the staff.

We need as much wisdom, experience & new pair of eyes to eval this Defense as much as possible.

Anybody who’s not a Diaz disciple coming here to help the Defense in any capacity is a net positive.

He did a good job as Miss State’s DC in 2018, they had the #1 ranked scoring Defense & #3 ranked total Defense.

Idk if he’s coming in as DC or as an analyst but he’d be a very good addition to the staff.

We need as much wisdom, experience & new pair of eyes to eval this Defense as much as possible.

Anybody who’s not a Diaz disciple coming here to help the Defense in any capacity is a net positive.
@Liberty City El I see he has connections up and down the east coast...any intel on him as a recruiter?

Thats my opinion. If Manny wanted to bring on a veteran DC like Shoop to be an actual DC, Manny could coach LBs
Seems more likely that if Manny as HC also wants to call the plays, he needs an analyst over the defense to lighten his load.

Advertisement

With Baker gone I'd take the former Broyles Award finalist in Shoop at DC over a potential stud recruiter as LB coach. Diaz can coach LBs since that his position.

Seems more likely that if Manny as HC also wants to call the plays, he needs an analyst over the defense to lighten his load.
Thats probably what will happen. Just with Baker gone you have a legit DC candidate who you already appear to want if Ferman is to be believed. Make Shoop the DC and that lightens his load even more.

Advertisement
In 2018, Miss State’s Defense under Bob Shoop held:

- K State to 10 points
- Louisiana to 10 points
- Florida to 13 points (they lost 6-13)
- Auburn to 9 points (AU was ranked #9 at that point in the season)
- LSU to 19 points
- TAMU to 13 points (they were ranked 16th at that point in the season)
- LA Tech to 3 points
- Bama to 24 points (they lost 0-24 lol)
- Ole Miss to 3 points
- Iowa to 27 points

Advertisement
Back