Don't have a subscription, but just saw this....potential hire?

He's a DB coach when he isn't in the DC role so unless he's the DC I don't see a place for him. Never been a LB coach. But has been a DC at Penn State, Vanderbilt, Miss State( didn't coach with Manny) and Tennessee.
TRob played WR but he’s one of the best DB coaches out there...if u can coach u can coach...especially if you’ve ever been a coordinator at a P5 school or NFL

Advertisement
Man I swear a lot of yah know nothing about football, lmao...when you’re a coordinator or HC you’re in that position because you know a whole lot to include the ins and outs of all positions (how u gonna call plays on defense and not know the intricacies of all defensive positions? lmao)...just bcs he’s never had an official title of LBs coach does not mean he can’t coach the position, SMFH

Good football coaches are good football coaches. Sometimes you just find a place for someone and don't get too cute about it. Guys switch from offense to defense and back sometimes let alone DB to LB.

He's a good dc but hasn't been a lb coach. He was hired at michigan to coach safeties and help don brown with zone coverages and zone blitzes and he just didn't coach and stayed home. There was never an explanation to why

Advertisement
Just looking briefly at total defense (which is a guideline, but can be deceiving), and this is where Shoop has led his team:

2011 Vandy - #18th
2012 Vandy - #19th
2013 Vandy - # 23rd
2014 PSU - # 2nd
2015 PSU - #14th
2016 UTK - # 95th
2017 UTK - #82nd
2018 MSU - #1st
2019 MSU - #73rd

Not really sure how to evaluate Shoop, he’s had some absolutely fantastic defenses under his watch, but the last 4 yrs, have marked 3 of some of the worst defenses under his watch as DC. So the ? is, was he a product of Franklin his first 5 yrs or is he a good DC that ran into some bumpy times the last 3 of 4 yrs?

Either way, another set of eyes could do us some good.

TRob played WR but he’s one of the best DB coaches out there...if u can coach u can coach...especially if you’ve ever been a coordinator at a P5 school or NFL

I agree, if you take the time to study and learn the nuances of the position. Should be noted that TRob switched to DB his sophomore year, started at CB & FS

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Good football coaches are good football coaches. Sometimes you just find a place for someone and don't get too cute about it. Guys switch from offense to defense and back sometimes let alone DB to LB.
Exactly, I mean the New York Giants had one of the best offensive line coaches in the NFL and he was a tiny little dude . He was there for ever and was the dude who led that o-line unit to a couple Super Bowls if im not mistaken.

I agree, if you take the time to study and learn the nuances of the position. Should be noted that TRob switched to DB his sophomore year, started at CB & FS
Good catch, have to admit I didn't follow his college career that closely so didn't realize he switched positions...at least you understand what I'm trying to say and coming from...if you can coach you can coach; shoot, Diaz never played a lick of college ball at any position but he's been a DC and now HC at a high level (HC at a high level is still up for debate but I think he'll get there)

Advertisement
TOS reporting Shoop will come aboard as an analyst. This IMO is a huge win. Stroud (HC guidance) and Shoop (Scheme familiarity/guidance). Manolo is really taking this like this is sink or swim (as discussed). Just need him to pop on T-Will and we will look **** good on paper top to bottom.

Advertisement
Back