D'onofrio coaching clinic

D'onofrio sure as **** knows what he's talking about and does well teaching it. Cool vids.

I have mentioned it before, MOST coaches will sound like they know what they are talking about when on a board or just talking scheme, they are in their element. It comes natural to them. Even the worst coaches can break down what they and even other are doing, even just watching a game on a live tv broadcast. Never be impressed with that, a good coach can take what he knows and break it down and get the kids to maximize their talents.

This is where the fork in the road comes as far as great, good, and other. You look at a guy like Malzahn and he came in a spread passing guru, then years later gets to the BCS game with a cornerback playing QB for him, Great coach. At the end of the day can you take what you know and take your talent and get them to execute to their maximum ability? This is the problem Golden/Donofrio's mentor had at GT, Al Groh was thought of as genius, but couldnt get the kids to take it and apply, same kids a year later were top 30 in another scheme. We will see what happens here.

Advertisement
He's very intelligent and his defensive schemes are legit. I think they are better suited for pro ball imho. The baby Canes he coaches are not on his football level mentally. I do think it could work here, with a ton of red shirts that have been in his systems for five years. The problem is you can't just grab a kid out of high school that is ready for this stuff. His other problem is, quite honestly, his system requires run stoppage and pressure without utilizing the LB'ers. We have been soft on the DL since his arrival and he hasn't adjusted affectively. We should be much better this year, mainly because his schemes when utilized properly with personal, leans heavily on the safeties. Hopefully if the secondary lives up to its billing and stays healthy, the LB'ers won't be exposed as often in coverage like last season. It's truly a think first D. The kids we have weren't ready mentally for this in their early time at Miami. I'm interested to see if both they and Coach D have learned from the last two seasons. Cautiously optimistic

I disagree with your fist sentence. He has shown not one iota of what you speak of since the BC game 3 years ago.

No intelligent adjustments, no intelligent game planning for teams, nothing intelligent at all.

He is just a carbon copy of his butt buddy.

All talk. No walk.

How intelligent of a coach is someone that produces the results on the field that he has?
read it again please.
his level of intelligence and his ability to use that effectively are two different things.
Hopefully, with better personnel and that said personnel having three years to learn his D, it will begging to play the way its schemed.

My point is this.

How smart are you really if you can't adjust to be even 'average'?

He isn't intelligent. Not even in the same galaxy.

Honestly, you watched our defense for the last 3 seasons and can call him intelligent with a straight face?

If you can't effectively put intelligence to use. You AREN'T intelligent.

C'mon homie. U trippin.

D'onofrio sure as **** knows what he's talking about and does well teaching it. Cool vids.

I have mentioned it before, MOST coaches will sound like they know what they are talking about when on a board or just talking scheme, they are in their element. It comes natural to them. Even the worst coaches can break down what they and even other are doing, even just watching a game on a live tv broadcast. Never be impressed with that, a good coach can take what he knows and break it down and get the kids to maximize their talents.

This is where the fork in the road comes as far as great, good, and other. You look at a guy like Malzahn and he came in a spread passing guru, then years later gets to the BCS game with a cornerback playing QB for him, Great coach. At the end of the day can you take what you know and take your talent and get them to execute to their maximum ability? This is the problem Golden/Donofrio's mentor had at GT, Al Groh was thought of as genius, but couldnt get the kids to take it and apply, same kids a year later were top 30 in another scheme. We will see what happens here.

Much more eloquent than me.

He's very intelligent and his defensive schemes are legit. I think they are better suited for pro ball imho. The baby Canes he coaches are not on his football level mentally. I do think it could work here, with a ton of red shirts that have been in his systems for five years. The problem is you can't just grab a kid out of high school that is ready for this stuff. His other problem is, quite honestly, his system requires run stoppage and pressure without utilizing the LB'ers. We have been soft on the DL since his arrival and he hasn't adjusted affectively. We should be much better this year, mainly because his schemes when utilized properly with personal, leans heavily on the safeties. Hopefully if the secondary lives up to its billing and stays healthy, the LB'ers won't be exposed as often in coverage like last season. It's truly a think first D. The kids we have weren't ready mentally for this in their early time at Miami. I'm interested to see if both they and Coach D have learned from the last two seasons. Cautiously optimistic

I disagree with your fist sentence. He has shown not one iota of what you speak of since the BC game 3 years ago.

No intelligent adjustments, no intelligent game planning for teams, nothing intelligent at all.

All talk. No walk.

How intelligent of a coach is someone that produces the results on the field that he has?
read it again please.
his level of intelligence and his ability to use that effectively are two different things.
Hopefully, with better personnel and that said personnel having three years to learn his D, it will begging to play the way its schemed.

My point is this.

Honestly, you watched our defense for the last 3 seasons and can call him intelligent with a straight face?

C'mon homie. U trippin.
I know lots of people that are very smart. Some are successful and some are losers. I have a brother in law with five doctorates that makes less than six figures a year. I never confuse intelligence and execution. They don't usually go hand in hand. I have spoken to coach d on several occasions. he is a bright guy. To date he is not a good coach. like i said, cautiously optimistic… fwiw the people that work for me know "first time is a mistake, second time is a bad habit" This defense has bad habits. I watch every game and know our coaches are "lying or stupid" when they discuss our failings. I'm just expressing that I don't think they are stupid. So, every excuse they have used is no longer valid this upcoming season.
cautiously optimistic
I hope he is successful. I never cheer against a Cane. If he is not AGAIN, he must go.

Last edited:

All talk. No walk.

read it again please.

My point is this.

C'mon homie. U trippin.
I know lots of people that are very smart. Some are successful and some are losers. I have a brother in law with five doctorates that makes less than six figures a year. I never confuse intelligence and execution. They don't usually go hand in hand. I have spoken to coach d on several occasions. he is a bright guy. To date he is not a good coach. like i said, cautiously optimistic… fwiw the people that work for me know "first time is a mistake, second time is a bad habit" This defense has bad habits. I watch every game and know our coaches are "lying or stupid" when they discuss our failings. I'm just expressing that I don't think they are stupid. So, every excuse they have used is no longer valid this upcoming season.
cautiously optimistic
I hope he is successful. I never cheer against a Cane. If he is not AGAIN, he must go.

Never confuse education or rote memorization of facts with intelligence.

Edit: I'm not cheering against the Canes. I can't stand the idiots in charge though.

Advertisement
The title of this thread is ambiguous and possibly misleading.

I thought we were going to see D'Onofrio ATTENDING a coaching clinic, trying to learn something.

The idea that he's TEACHING in a coaching clinic - I think D'Onofrio should be doing stand up comedy for a living.

46.png

*that does not necessarily represent my opinion on him* I haven't even seen the videos yet

That being said:
I've been saying that the scheme is legit. As a former coach, I love it -- it's very advanced. It might me too complex for college, but I looks like he's made a ton of changes this spring. We need to either wait for our guys to mature/depth to grow or we need to simplify. I think we've taken both approaches, though I don't think we'll be brutally simple ever, under Donfrio. We need to have simplicity on the inside, with the appearance of complexity outside. Uptempo teams will continue raping us if we don't. I looks like he's done some of that in the spring. We're playing a lot of Cover1/3 -- two extremely simple coverages to line up in and execute.

The DE's in zone coverage comments need to stop. That's a personnel issue. Once we we're stacked up at that Rush/LB spot, then things will change. We shouldn't have been running that scheme with Shayon (he didn't have the skill set for it), but it's definitely a viable strategy. That position will only drop to the boundary flat in zone blitz and drop 8 situations, which should be only 10% of the time. The execution will be better with a guy like Tyriq or DJackson out there.

46.png

*that does not necessarily represent my opinion on him* I haven't even seen the videos yet

That being said:
I've been saying that the scheme is legit. As a former coach, I love it -- it's very advanced. It might me too complex for college, but I looks like he's made a ton of changes this spring. We need to either wait for our guys to mature/depth to grow or we need to simplify. I think we've taken both approaches, though I don't think we'll be brutally simple ever, under Donfrio. We need to have simplicity on the inside, with the appearance of complexity outside. Uptempo teams will continue raping us if we don't. I looks like he's done some of that in the spring. We're playing a lot of Cover1/3 -- two extremely simple coverages to line up in and execute.

The DE's in zone coverage comments need to stop. That's a personnel issue. Once we we're stacked up at that Rush/LB spot, then things will change. We shouldn't have been running that scheme with Shayon (he didn't have the skill set for it), but it's definitely a viable strategy. That position will only drop to the boundary flat in zone blitz and drop 8 situations, which should be only 10% of the time. The execution will be better with a guy like Tyriq or DJackson out there.
cautiously optimistic

Advertisement
I would love it if a thread was started about D'onofrio or golden that didn't consist of loldeysuck circle jerk.

I haven't seen the videos but I plan to on this plane ride, but I will say that I usually hate clinicals done by college coaches. They usually just consist of, here is a play, yep that looked like crap, alright next play. They are pretty useless. Not saying at all that that is what this clinic will be but I usually have low standards for them.

Good post. I pretty much agree with everything. I look at the roster and I see enough talent to get by. It won't be bad enough to get everyone fired because it will improve, but it won't be enough to get us to the next level. Pretty ******.

Good points, but Malzahn was not a spread passing guru. He was a wingT disciple for a long time. What he brought to the table was an ability to deliver his offense in a different manner. His focus has always been on developing a diverse running game. Buy his book, it's pretty awesome.His original plays were bucksweep, trap, power, and counter. That's textbook WingT.

The biggest strength they have is the way they practice. They practice faster than in the games. They're able to get a TON of reps and they're able to execute while under stress. They're under stress because they're dead tired. It's hard to simulate stress during certain points of practice. They're able to simulate it throughout practice.

[video=youtube;129rzGmpkdY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=129rzGmpkdY[/video]

[video=youtube;dG6FuFdFTrM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dG6FuFdFTrM[/video]

So, where's the disconnect these past 3 years, if he's so intelligent, such a good teacher?

Advertisement
Just out of curiosity wonder who was the last d coord from a major conference who posted a top 75 D without a draft pick in 2 years...seriously

What was dfrio ypg and total rank when he had a couple guys drafted in rds 2-6

Fair enough. At what point do you adapt your defense to the talent that you have? And I agree we have more talent at the skill positions on defense, which should translate into us making more plays.

Advertisement
Surprised to hear that 500 Ofrio met with multiple coaches and teams this offseason to get better. They obviously know the defense is pure garbage and it needs a change.

The definition of Oxymoron should be D'Flopio and coaching clinic. True we haven't had the talent, but Duke wasn't exactly stocking their roster with 4 or 5 star DT's either, yet their DC was able to get more out of his lot because THAT'S WHAT GOOD DC'S DO!!! The measure of anyone good regardless if it's a coach or a cook is what they do with limited amount of quality products! D'Flopio would give up 400+ yards if you gave him Seattle's defense!

I bet there aint a Muthaphucker here who ain't concerned about playing the first game against Bobby Petrino's offensive scheme!! **** his offense ran us ragged even when we still had a defense. You stay positive pacifist can ignore reality if you want, but I feel like a soldier in a front line foxhole and cheap rifle with a line of tanks coming at me. Man! I do believe we'll be a better defense, but primarily because I think we have improved talent wise...I HOPE :)

Much like Golden, when Dorito speaks he definitely knows what he is talking about.

They are a **** of a duo from Sunday through Friday I tell you that much.

Game day coaching seems to allude both of them though, talent on defense can no longer be an excuse.

Advertisement
Back