Donell Harris (New Thread)

Yes and no. How you going to go after only miami caliber players when they playing footsies with every bag school. Dad wants that to stop? Tell your son and all the other defectors to stay home and work with us instead of tucking tail because its harder in miami.

Im over the half assed tongue and cheek comments. They all fans til 5 star son gets bag offers foh.
Exactly...100%

Advertisement
Can’t disagree with most of what he said. The biggest thing I picked out of that article is him saying he has never talked to a coach at Miami. I will say that my friends that got recruited were the ones talking to coaches and not their parents. Most parents only talk to coaches on visits. Was paradise their first first to campus? I know we have had turnover, signing day and other stuff going on along with this kid originally being a 2021 kid so it’s possible they weren’t recruiting him the same they would a kid in this class. If the dad wants to talk to coaches, then they need to visit campus.

Miami does not want the kid. PERIOD. Way overrated. There is a reason they are not calling him, they DON'T want him....Not even close as a prospect to Q. Williams. Now that D. Jackson has left as a coach there, no reason to continue with the charade . Why do think Miami was calling the DT for months almost every day (2021 kid Hundley no one knew anything about) and Harris daddy had't even talked with Baker, or Manny. Also, if you don't think Daddy hears Cha- Ching, you're mistaken.

I know everyone is caught up in the Manny hype right now but the knock on him will eventually be the lack of recruiters on the staff. We've had some culture changing commits that lack Miami talent. Those are cool if u only take a couple but to succeed you're going to have to get kids with both sides of the spectrum.

Seems like Manny is betting on himself while having a safety net. Take the plan B's now, have a winning season, get the plan A's, process out the plan B's. The shrewd business man approach.

That was a very candid and much needed interview for us fans to see. A nice reality check about how we view recruits and how high profile South Florida recruits view our program.

At the end of the day, I don’t the he comes here but this is a good assessment on how to go about it with recruits in the future.

The one thing that has me skeptical is the interest in Georgia. If you really care about development on the DL and not the bag man, Georgia would not be that high. Not to mention his decommitment followed a visit to UGA. There’s more to it with that school...

Advertisement
Can’t disagree with most of what he said. The biggest thing I picked out of that article is him saying he has never talked to a coach at Miami. I will say that my friends that got recruited were the ones talking to coaches and not their parents. Most parents only talk to coaches on visits. Was paradise their first first to campus? I know we have had turnover, signing day and other stuff going on along with this kid originally being a 2021 kid so it’s possible they weren’t recruiting him the same they would a kid in this class. If the dad wants to talk to coaches, then they need to visit campus.
Him saying that he's never talked to the coaches is his way of saying "if u want my son, u have to drop me off a bag too"

I disagree. People can put blinders on if they want but I'm still trying to figure out what his pops said about us that isn't true? We haven't put any DL in the first 2 rounds since what..Vince Wilfork?? CHECK. We were a disgrace as a team last year. CHECK. We are not relevant as it stands today. CHECK. He wants his son on national TV, playing in big games, and to have a shot at being a first rounder. Not so hard to understand.

Manny..YOUR UP! Go out there, stomp UF, win 10-11 games, go to a BCS game..and then lets have this conversation with pops again in Dec and check all the boxes he asked and put the ball back in his court... If Manny is really a Don, that is how you respond to an interview like this.
I played juco ball with Harris Sr. and he is a good person with a passionate heart. I agree with everything he said. Just looking out for his son. Jassid82 i’m with u stats don’t lie.

Advertisement
Couple of things:

1. Dad makes a good point about staff being in contact. I can only assume there was little contact because the kid was a full 2 years away. That should change now.

2. I find it interesting that he is saying the plan to reclassify was always in the cards. Doesn't seem like anyone else ever heard that.

3. This line certainly caught my attention: There are some programs in the forefront, though. Harris Sr. mentions Georgia, Clemson, LSU, Texas A&M and says “(Donell Jr.) likes the Gators.” WTH

4. He won't be an early enrollee so there's 7 months left. Guess we will see who emerges in front .... The line about Bama is interesting, too.. Almost a challenge to them..

This screams Kris Bogle, fishing for some bags and not getting a ton of bites and Florida jumps in

Last edited:
Nobody is saying DH cant be a first rounder here. What I am saying is that is what his dad saying not true? We haven't had a first round DL in 16 years. We brag about our NFL alumni when it suits us but we have to take that one on the chin. We need to fix that. Period. Kids and their parents want to go to the league and be first day picks so they can get out the hood and be rich. All that other **** is for us fans. (reppin' the home town, bringing the U back, loyalty to your hood, KKK schools in the SEC, etc.)

But what relevance is there that we haven't have 1st rounders on the DL in 16 years? If Harris is good enough, he will be a first rounder. We haven't had 1st round talent on the DL. You can't whine about a school not having first rounders, when all of the potential first rounders who claim it's their "dream school" decide to chase bags and ride coattails elsewhere. If they want first rounders out of Miami, then come to Miami and be first rounders. Don't claim to "love" Miami if they aren't willing to be the ones to come and bring Miami up to the next level.

"He wants his son on national TV, playing in big games, and to have a shot at being a first rounder. Not so hard to understand."

..and he can do every one of those things at Miami. The whole "first rounder" nonsense is just ridiculous. If you're good enough, you'll be a first rounder. When most of the good enough recruits go to Bama, Clemson, and UGA because they want to ride someone else's coattails, of course Miami isn't going to have many first rounders. If those recruits and families who "love" Miami want to see Miami have first rounders, then they need to get their asses to Miami and BE those first rounders.

Disagree. College football is a business. Put fan loyalty to the side. I love UM as much as anyone but at some point we have to wake up and realize that we have to put a great product on the field AND prove we can get our guys in the league if we want 4-5* talent. Some of yall act like we didn't just go 7-6 last year with embarrassing losses to Duke, UVA, and GTECH!!! These kids AND their parents saw that. They want to see something different and see what this #TNM is all about before they pull the trigger. Can't blame them.

Some of you on here aren't even renewing your season tickets until you see some results on the field first so WTF is the difference??????????? LOL

Advertisement

Ivins did mention it was the dad's first time on campus

And dad also indicated for Miami to get “back,” the program can’t offer recruits that are not up to snuff.
“It is what it is when it comes to the University of Miami and what we need to do - we need to just win and recruit University of Miami kids,” Donell Sr. said. “Not everybody deserves a University of Miami scholarship. I’m just being straight up.”

The more I think about this, the more I become concerned for some of our other recruits. IDK if many of your saw it but Brinson put out some snarky tweet about "why is Miami offering everyone" right after we offered a couple of the 3 star guys last week. Brantley jumped right on it and told him to delete it, which he did. Aren't all of these guys close? wonder if that's where it's coming from.....
He is a 3 star himself so is he including himself in that comment?

i got a show me the money vibe lol

all kidding aside, you are looking at it like fans and not as parents. This guy made a ton of valid points.
We havent won and we havent put linemen in the league. imo we have a system that made some kids
think they were better than they are (rj and norton). JJ was always a 3 and done so he bolted to early but i think this guy
def made valid points including kids we offered.

Advertisement
Think about it like this: if a Top 3 team has to pay big money to steal a kid from a 7-6 Miami team, how hard will it be to recruit against an 11-win Miami team producing first rounders?
Think about this, How hard is it going to be to be an 11 win Miami team if we don't get those elite players? See how that game works

Sounded too much like Chad Wilson in that monologue. There's a reason coaches are being polite but not sitting on his doorstep. ... Nothing is going to change even if we go undefeated and Garvin gets drafted on day 1. This is about ego and money. Manny's not falling for that.

But what relevance is there that we haven't have 1st rounders on the DL in 16 years? If Harris is good enough, he will be a first rounder. We haven't had 1st round talent on the DL. You can't whine about a school not having first rounders, when all of the potential first rounders who claim it's their "dream school" decide to chase bags and ride coattails elsewhere. If they want first rounders out of Miami, then come to Miami and be first rounders. Don't claim to "love" Miami if they aren't willing to be the ones to come and bring Miami up to the next level.

Ill reference the story Leon Searcy told on "the U part1" when he said FSU was trying to recruit him. "FSU came and recruited me and told me that I could help them beat Miami since they had not done it in awhile. I knew right then I was going to Miami. Why join the losing side?" (I'm paraphrasing of course but yall remember that part)..So WTF do you think these coaches from Bama, Clemson, LSU, UGA are telling these kids about us? The same **** thing!

We have to start winning before we can lock up 5* talent in 8 months before NSD. And yeah, every so often we will stumble across a Duke Johnson and Don Chaney. But we need 4-5 of those 5* types to get back to where we need to be.

Advertisement
Back