Donell Harris (New Thread)

Didn't we recruit him this year, knowing that he would've had to wait behind those guys (minus Roche) anyways? Or did the staff stop recruiting him when he reclassified.
I'm not sure how hard we recruited him after he decommitted, but based on our ability to get kids to re-commit, I don't think we just let him "walk" until what his camp was trying to accomplish was crystal clear...

Advertisement
My recollection is most of the big programs backed off when he reclassified. It was so late no one had space and he wasn't big enough physically to get on the field early in the 2020 class.

This is correct. He reclassified very late and I don’t believe the offers were committable from the Bama/Clemson types. His 5 star ranking was based on the fact he had another year to grow and put on weight.

Advertisement
Harris was also a public commitment, who trolled the fan base and talked down on the program after decommitting. Walker did none of that. Bigger than just positional need. Walker handled his recruitment completely different.

Walker trolled Miami too at one point. He also wanted to recommit but Enos/Barry didn't let him.

No one is saying that.

But there has to be a precedent set. This kid played all kinda games with us & trolled us hard, he had every opportunity to honor his commitment & sign with Miami, he & his pops chose quick money over putting on representing for his hometown, so now when shìt goes bad at College Station he needs to live with that & not have us roll the red carpet out to welcome him back after he fcked us over as bad as he did.

Miami makes plenty of mistakes in recruiting & we fck things up more often than people might realize when it comes to landing Blue chip local recruits, however in this situation that's not the case. We did everything right & treated this kid with the utmost respect, we handled his recruitment perfect & he still did us dirty for no other reason than getting some quick cash that has probably already dried up.

If his pops was as involved in his recruitment as he was & didn't warn his son about being a young Black man at a place like College station which is literally like a **** Cult, then that's on him.

Miami is not Captain Save A Hoe with the cape on to rescue every single bag chasing South FL player that shìts on us in recruiting only to come running back talking bout being "homesick" or wanting to put on for the city only because they found out the hard way at whatever Confederate SEC program they went to that all the lies & bullshìt them Good ol' boy coaches were selling them was nothing but fake dreams & fugazi promises.

Yes Harris has some good traits & is a natural athlete, but so what, kids like that grow on trees in South FL & Miami at DE is not in a desperate position to where we need to jump on the window reaching for a kid who already told us to go fck off. It's not like the Issiah Walker situation where we're desperate for OT's, DE is one of the positions where we can be picky & get who we want because of the system we run creates productivity & the success we've had with dudes like Chad Thomas, Joe Jackson & Greg Rousseau.

Donnel missed his chance to be a Hurricane, I don't care how talented he is.
Right ***** on!!!! Ive been talkin about precedent for months now. We have to be careful with kids like Harris, Francois, Gray, **** even Walker, etc.

2 major take aways with this stuff.

1) Kids need to learn about the consequences of their choices both positive and negative. (Sidenote: This **** is a major problem today in society.)

2) We need to really appreciate the kids that ignore the bullsh1t and pick Miami. Kids like Brantley, Melo, Cam Harris, Richards,ROBERT KNOWLES, etc.

Advertisement
Thought he only committed to South Carolina and Florida during his recruitment

Forgot if he originally committed or not. He was told he had a spot(UM) before he committed to UF. Late into the year, or maybe after high school football season ended, the coaches (I'm only assuming it was Barry/Enos since they're gone and he's here) lost interest and wasn't very receptive to his camp.

Forgot if he originally committed or not. He was told he had a spot(UM) before he committed to UF. Late into the year, or maybe after high school football season ended, the coaches (I'm only assuming it was Barry/Enos since they're gone and he's here) lost interest and wasn't very receptive to his camp.
Are you serious? That is beyond disgusting if true.

Enos/Barry should always come up in discussion regarding worst UM coaches. I don’t have a single good thing to say about either one.

I don’t think Barry was interested in anything lol. Especially not talent.

Advertisement
Sounds like no sauces cans confirm this except a cis post. Someone needs to screenshot some sht from their boards or social media if this is even a rumor.

Still trying to figure out exactly what it is he did in his 12 months here. In fairness to him, he was totally unqualified and under no circumstance should have been allowed to be hired as OL coach at Miami.
Haha I know right, he didn’t fit down here at all. It leaves us scratching our heads. I honestly don’t know schematically if made any adjustments the whole year but ya totally agree

Walker plays OT, a position of dire need. Harris plays DE, a position of strength. Walker was also signed when we had more space available. Those two are pretty big differences before you even get to the point that on top of that, Harris spit in our face and trolled us last year while Walker was much more straightforward and wasn’t even a decommit.

I can’t speak to the latter part of your post about the kid’s mentality because I don’t know him. A certain amount of antics I imagine you have to charge to the game if you’re going to be a big time program. Maybe the kid is a ****head and we don’t take him for that reason, but that’s the coaches’ call.

However, the whole “needs” argument is bunk to me. That’s what keeps us having depth issues. The only two proven pass rushers we have our gone after this season. Other than that it’s just potential, and we’ve all seen how that can turn out.

Advertisement
Surprising that nobody on the staff reached out to Sr. UM should not take anything for granted with Harris. Some of these kids come from homes where there's no father/male figure. Not reaching out to Harris off rip was a slight that must be rectified immediately. There was a lot said there that requires reading between the lines. UM will have to close the deal on the field and on the recruiting trail.

I can’t speak to the latter part of your post about the kid’s mentality because I don’t know him. A certain amount of antics I imagine you have to charge to the game if you’re going to be a big time program. Maybe the kid is a ****head and we don’t take him for that reason, but that’s the coaches’ call.

However, the whole “needs” argument is bunk to me. That’s what keeps us having depth issues. The only two proven pass rushers we have our gone after this season. Other than that it’s just potential, and we’ve all seen how that can turn out.
We hit on D ends a sht ton more than we hit on OTs. And we need room for the 2021 class. There were two more spots (possibly 3) before walker signed.

Still trying to figure out exactly what it is he did in his 12 months here. In fairness to him, he was totally unqualified and under no circumstance should have been allowed to be hired as OL coach at Miami.
Me too! Only thing I can think of is Enos and Barry felt they were above being coaches at Miami.

No one is saying that.

But there has to be a precedent set. This kid played all kinda games with us & trolled us hard, he had every opportunity to honor his commitment & sign with Miami, he & his pops chose quick money over putting on representing for his hometown, so now when shìt goes bad at College Station he needs to live with that & not have us roll the red carpet out to welcome him back after he fcked us over as bad as he did.

Miami makes plenty of mistakes in recruiting & we fck things up more often than people might realize when it comes to landing Blue chip local recruits, however in this situation that's not the case. We did everything right & treated this kid with the utmost respect, we handled his recruitment perfect & he still did us dirty for no other reason than getting some quick cash that has probably already dried up.

If his pops was as involved in his recruitment as he was & didn't warn his son about being a young Black man at a place like College station which is literally like a **** Cult, then that's on him.

Miami is not Captain Save A Hoe with the cape on to rescue every single bag chasing South FL player that shìts on us in recruiting only to come running back talking bout being "homesick" or wanting to put on for the city only because they found out the hard way at whatever Confederate SEC program they went to that all the lies & bullshìt them Good ol' boy coaches were selling them was nothing but fake dreams & fugazi promises.

Yes Harris has some good traits & is a natural athlete, but so what, kids like that grow on trees in South FL & Miami at DE is not in a desperate position to where we need to jump on the window reaching for a kid who already told us to go fck off. It's not like the Issiah Walker situation where we're desperate for OT's, DE is one of the positions where we can be picky & get who we want because of the system we run creates productivity & the success we've had with dudes like Chad Thomas, Joe Jackson & Greg Rousseau.

Donnel missed his chance to be a Hurricane, I don't care how talented he is.

You're spot on and I agree with most of what you're saying here. However, I've said it before and I'll say it again it's ain't easy to walk away from $180k. Also, he didn't jerk around Miami. His family grew up UM fans and initially had every intention of donning the orange & green, but once that offer came in from the Aggies it was a wrap. Without specifically saying it, the writing was on the wall once the dad's interview came out questioning UM staff.

Advertisement
Back