Donaldson and the rest of the OLine

I’m in “show me” mode at LT.

I fully expect the OL to be better overall. Everyone is back, the scheme will be WAY better, Williams is a huge addition. But he’s a RT by trade. The last time we saw all of the candidates for the LT job, they were being beaten like drums on almost every single snap.

On your lineup above, if Campbell is just average, the OL will be a very solid group. But someone needs to emerge and really seize the LT job. No easy feat.
OBM good analysis. The "show me" mode is the way we should be.
Reality is that with Coach Lash having his finger on the pulse, we have no idea what this team will be like for 2020. Guys need to step up to "up tempo".

Advertisement
Donaldson should starve himself, trim down to about 300lbs, and make a run at LT in 2021.
I agree... With "major" knee surgery in December, 6 months ago, limited access to facilities and rehab, it would be hard for anyone not named Adrian Peterson to come back from. Especially with the new RS Rules, let him heal, and MAYBE have him play in one of the last 4 games (FSU, GTECH, DUKE, VTECH) He would be almost a year removed from the injury, hopefully get him some good game burn, and this would be if our oline is still really struggling.

Those final four games loom large. FSU and 2 cold-weather venues. We may need all the help we can git.

Zion will come back bigger than 273 and with a year of lifting with the new weight he gained last year on his frame. Kid has personal drive like few on the team. I predict he comes back stronger than ever and rips heads off in fall practice.

Let me ask y’all. If they line up the following.

LT: Campbell
LG: Clark/Traoure
C: Gaynor
RG Scaife
RT Williams

How would y’all feel about the OL honestly?

We all have our ideas on what we would do from the OL thread a while back.

But if they actually sent that above offensive line out, what are your thoughts?
Better than last year, but nothing to get excited about. Left side is weak, center slightly below average to average, right side average to slightly above average.

Advertisement
King isn’t left handed

I rewatched the Duke game and don’t think I want to see Nelson, Herbert or Clark in the starting 5.

Jarrid Williams started a game at LT and played well. Also went in for some spot duty in games. His feet look quicker than Campbell’s IMO

Campbell looked good at LG when he came in, but apparently Justice liked what he saw at T in spring.

Scaife can be very good at G in this offence. I think it’s a better fit for him.

Traore was getting starting reps in spring and Clark if

LT - Williams
LG - Traore
C - Gaynor
RG - Scaife
RT - Campbell
That's probably what its going to be like, with Reed, Nelson, Clark, Rivers on the second team.

Better than last year, but nothing to get excited about. Left side is weak, center slightly below average to average, right side average to slightly above average.

Agree with this 100%. I don’t buy into the “a year older” equates to better. Lot’s of show me on the OL. I can’t be the only one who was underwhelmed with Gaynor last year? I’m hoping it was lack of teaching techniques and a **** play caller/playbook that had our OL thinking too much and not playing. We’ll find out around week 4.

Go Canes!

Traore is going to keep Donaldson on the bench. Traore is more athletic, has good bend and finishes plays. Donaldson has been lazy. This offense will be completely opposite from Enos system. King will NOT be a statue so LT isnt as crucial as last year. This offense will be moving forward more than backwards.
LT Campbell
LG Traore
C Gaynor
RG Scife
RT Williams

Zion will come back bigger than 273 and with a year of lifting with the new weight he gained last year on his frame. Kid has personal drive like few on the team. I predict he comes back stronger than ever and rips heads off in fall practice.

Maybe... my concern was I thought his biggest problem was his get-off, he was slowwwww getting out of his stance, maybe it was the cadence, maybe the QB did him no favors, but I had thought (or hoped) that part of it was he gained like 70 lbs in a few months and he was adjusting on how to carry his weight. If he played last year at 270 that could explain him getting physically overwhelmed but does not bode well for his get-off as he still needs to add another 15-20lbs.

Donaldson should starve himself, trim down to about 300lbs, and make a run at LT in 2021.

Those final four games loom large. FSU and 2 cold-weather venues. We may need all the help we can git.

I agree, I believe last game is Duke at home, so maybe skip the cold weather game in Vtech and traveling to Gtech, get him in Duke, maybe FSU and then the bowl.

Advertisement
Let me ask y’all. If they line up the following.

LT: Campbell
LG: Clark/Traoure
C: Gaynor
RG Scaife
RT Williams

How would y’all feel about the OL honestly?

We all have our ideas on what we would do from the OL thread a while back.

But if they actually sent that above offensive line out, what are your thoughts?
If this happens, we should be incredibly excited because it means that Cambell made a HUGE jump in ability and is now our best lineman. It's pretty unlikely though.

LT Williams
LG Traore
C Gaynor
RG Clark
RT Scaife

This would get our best 5 Offensive lineman on the field at the same time. I get we keep trying to move Scaife to Guard but he's to reliable of a RT which is a more important position..

If Campbell improves significantly from last season and can play RT then we kick Scaife to Guard.

LT Williams
LG Clark
C Gaynor
RG Scaife
RT Campbell

Regardless Williams should be locked in at LT, he's played it before at Houston and the only reason he didn't start at LT was because of Josh Jones

There is a high correlation with the number of starts for offence of lineman in the success you have

You can’t underestimate Impact of starting 2 True freshman.

I wasn’t overly impressed with Gaynor last year so maybe Clark battles for that spot and gets reps at C & G.

Advertisement
LT Williams
LG Traore
C Gaynor
RG Clark
RT Scaife

This would get our best 5 Offensive lineman on the field at the same time. I get we keep trying to move Scaife to Guard but he's to reliable of a RT which is a more important position..

If Campbell improves significantly from last season and can play RT then we kick Scaife to Guard.

LT Williams
LG Clark
C Gaynor
RG Scaife
RT Campbell

Regardless Williams should be locked in at LT, he's played it before at Houston and the only reason he didn't start at LT was because of Josh Jones
Traore is ahead of Clark

I'm hopeful that the combination of another year of experience under their belts, another year with Coach Feely, a player friendly scheme, and being coached by Coach Justice we'll see a much better OL. Enough talent is there to have a solid OL.
Need to take the steps one at a time.

Advertisement
Donaldson gonna RS. No way he'll be in shape.

Agree. Major knee surgery for an already overweight big guy is tough to recover from. Would have loved him healthy but he needs a RS.

I like our rotation.

Left to right
williams-campbell-Gaynor-donaldson-Scaife

ain’t no way in **** I see Donaldson taking a RS..if he shows up so out of shape that that’s a question then imo he’s done at Miami. That’s just me. I know we joke about the kids weight and commitment but I can imagine him being sooo far gone that’s he’s unplayable
Didnt williams take a shirt and hes better than donaldson.

Advertisement
Back