Donaldson and the rest of the OLine

Hoyacane1620

All American
Premium
Per Manny today in an interview with the Athletic:

"As for the team’s overall health, Diaz said the only player who would not be ready for the start of fall camp is senior offensive lineman Navaughn Donaldson, who is coming off major knee surgery in December."

Redshirt sophomore John Campbell (6-5, 301) left fall camp as the leader for the left tackle job. But he also had only four practices to cement his case. So, the door remains open for sophomore Zion Nelson (6-5, 273) and Houston grad transfer Jarrid Williams (6-7, 305) to steal it from Campbell if he slips. Nelson was the starter at left tackle for 13 games last season but naturally struggled against bigger and older players. Williams started at right tackle most of his career at Houston and appears better suited to be the starter there.

As for left guard, redshirt sophomore Ousman Traore (6-3, 305) and sophomore Jakai Clark (6-2, 309) appear headed toward a battle for the job there. Clark has 12 starts from 2019 under his belt at right guard. Traore, though, was running with the first team at left guard in the spring.

Either way, the Hurricanes are going to be in much better hands with their offensive line in 2020. Corey Gaynor is locked in at center, and DJ Scaife should be the starting right guard.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Let me ask y’all. If they line up the following.

LT: Campbell
LG: Clark/Traoure
C: Gaynor
RG Scaife
RT Williams

How would y’all feel about the OL honestly?

We all have our ideas on what we would do from the OL thread a while back.

But if they actually sent that above offensive line out, what are your thoughts?

Advertisement

RG Scaife
RT Williams

But if they actually sent that above offensive line out, what are your thoughts?

Until I saw them play...

Solid at Center.
Above average on the right side.
Worried about the left side, especially LT.

But they all have potential to improve with an extra year under their belt. And the offensive system (and QB) should make them all look better.

I think if at all possible, we are going to redshirt Donaldson, Zion and Jakari.

RG Scaife
RT Williams

I hope someone is actually better than Scaife at Tackle. I think Guard is Scaifes money position.

Advertisement
Per Manny today in an interview with the Athletic:

"As for the team’s overall health, Diaz said the only player who would not be ready for the start of fall camp is senior offensive lineman Navaughn Donaldson, who is coming off major knee surgery in December."

Redshirt sophomore John Campbell (6-5, 301) left fall camp as the leader for the left tackle job. But he also had only four practices to cement his case. So, the door remains open for sophomore Zion Nelson (6-5, 273) and Houston grad transfer Jarrid Williams (6-7, 305) to steal it from Campbell if he slips. Nelson was the starter at left tackle for 13 games last season but naturally struggled against bigger and older players. Williams started at right tackle most of his career at Houston and appears better suited to be the starter there.

As for left guard, redshirt sophomore Ousman Traore (6-3, 305) and sophomore Jakai Clark (6-2, 309) appear headed toward a battle for the job there. Clark has 12 starts from 2019 under his belt at right guard. Traore, though, was running with the first team at left guard in the spring.

Either way, the Hurricanes are going to be in much better hands with their offensive line in 2020. Corey Gaynor is locked in at center, and DJ Scaife should be the starting right guard.
Redshirt Donaldson let him get healthy and let the chips fall where they may next year. No way a kid that big can get back in 8 months from knee surgery!!!

Advertisement
Donaldson should play in 4 games and take a shirt. Staff should advise him too similar to what they did with Mccloud.
Chances are if had major surgery in Dec. he's not ready to hit the field at all... I mean he wasn't in the greatest of shape to begin with so it's reasonable to believe he's gonna need a ton of work before he steps foot on a field.... Don't get me wrong , I wish the young man the best and hope he fully recovers but he shouldn't see the field until he's absolutely ready to do so....

Donaldson has an extra month before he might be needed (game 4 vs Sparty). He probably won't be ready to go though. Pitt shouldnt be a problem and Wake is terrible on defense. UNC was 50th in sacks and 71st in passing yards allowed, I expect King to light them up at home. I'd like to see him at UVA and FSU. If he's healthy by then, he can still contribute a lot when the OL will probably be dinged up and still keep his RS. Win/win

Advertisement
Back