Don Chaney 2020 (video)

I'm convinced you're related to Chaney.

Let's slow down a little bit.
Lamar Miller was a 215lb RB that ran a 4.40 forty at the NFL combine.
He was also All ACC in track.

You're talkin' about a guy that went 97 yards TWICE in the NFL.
Hence why I said the only thing those to have in common are their shoulder injuries. I said Lamar Miller is probably one of the fastest hurricanes ever.

Advertisement
You love to list off track times. That **** don't always show on the field. If it did, then Lingard wouldn't be a bench warmer.

Chaney's LASER forty is in the mid 4.5's, he's not a 4.39 kid. You're referencing hand-timed forties.
The fastest players on the team are Wiggins, Knighton and Harley.
ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD. Save the track times.

You keep talking about 100 meter times. Football isn't played in 100 meter bursts. That's why they time forties instead.
Like you really gonna sit here and imply that Chaney is as fast as Hester or Benjamin? LOL man c'mon.
I wasn’t really trying to compare him to them I was just saying he’s in the fast category when comparing numbers. But you’re right track numbers don’t always transfer to the field.

He was much faster than I expected.

Chaney is going to be special. Best sense duke.
The people on CSI that bash Duke should take the room temperature challenge. No real cane would bash duke.

Advertisement
I don't think he will reach McGahee's level. That's rare stuff. I just think that's the closest comp of the UM backs.

It wasn't anything physical that held McGahee back early in his career. He was just thinking too much and wasn't as natural as Portis and Gore. Once the game slowed down, he was unstoppable. I think Chaney is dealing with similar issues now.
I see the similarities and agree with you - Chaney's numbers look the same as McGahee, and I agree both needed to gain some confidence after their Freshman years. I expect Chaney to make a leap next year, and we agree that it won't be a McGahee level leap.

IMO where we differ is - on the spectrum of Miami RB's I think Chaney falls somewhere in-between McGahee & Deejay Dallas. And while we all want Chaney to be closer to McGhee, being closer to Deejay is probably more realistic - both from a production and physical/athletic standpoint.

I just feel like comparisons/expectations in general are set too high.

A souped up Deejay Dallas sounds pretty good to me. But I get it if people think that's underselling Chaney. I don't know - maybe Sony Michel would be a good comparison from a South FL RB standpoint for what I think Chaney's ceiling is.

Advertisement
As a father who rebounds for his son 3-4 evenings per week I can only hope that one day my son speaks about me the way Chaney speaks about his dad. Beautiful to see.
But the appreciation from Chaney only exists because he also wants to be great. Otherwise he would think his dad is nagging. Chaney wants to be great and sees his dad as an asset. Just awesome.

Advertisement
Watch the play in his highlight at 1:39. Then watch 5 similar housecalls in Duke's tape. All I'm sayin. He didn't crease a defense with blistering acceleration and/or crazy top end speed. Not once all season did he hit a crease and go and leave guys whiffing . Doesn't mean he can't or he won't just that I didn't see it outta him in his freshman highlight. Don't get me wrong lotsa good and a lot to be excited about but I hated the amount of trash people talked about Duke while he was here and since he's left and I'm not going to blindly hop on the Chaney hypetrain without perspective.

As Miami fans we should know what elite really looks like and when I saw that tape I said really good maybe even great but lookin at Dukes highlight it is hard to argue Chaney looks more explosive and dynamic.
I honestly don't understand what you are trying to accomplish with this post. What the heck does Duke have to do with this discussion? Chaney is a bigger stronger back and just different than Duke. I'll tell you what I saw in that true freshman cut up tape. I saw a coming super star. I saw a true freshman without the benefit of Spring practice play like a man. After a whole off season in the S&C program with Spring practice and more maturity and confidence this kid is going to be special. Watching him gave me flashbacks to the 2000-2002 seasons in terms of the type of RB play and depth we were accustomed to. Add in Knighton, Franklin and Brown and we are about to become RB U once again. If watching that Chaney highlight got you pumped then just realize that the OL play is only going to continue to get better but wait there's more. The QB play will also continue to improve as will the WR unit. If you miss the days when the U could score points and look exciting doing it then you're in luck because that is exactly what we are transitioning into. I'll call my shot right now. This UM offense is going to be very difficult to stop and very fun to watch for the next 2-3 years at least.

Advertisement
I honestly don't understand what you are trying to accomplish with this post. What the heck does Duke have to do with this discussion? Chaney is a bigger stronger back and just different than Duke. I'll tell you what I saw in that true freshman cut up tape. I saw a coming super star. I saw a true freshman without the benefit of Spring practice play like a man. After a whole off season in the S&C program with Spring practice and more maturity and confidence this kid is going to be special. Watching him gave me flashbacks to the 2000-2002 seasons in terms of the type of RB play and depth we were accustomed to. Add in Knighton, Franklin and Brown and we are about to become RB U once again. If watching that Chaney highlight got you pumped then just realize that the OL play is only going to continue to get better but wait there's more. The QB play will also continue to improve as will the WR unit. If you miss the days when the U could score points and look exciting doing it then you're in luck because that is exactly what we are transitioning into. I'll call my shot right now. This UM offense is going to be very difficult to stop and very fun to watch for the next 2-3 years at least.
My point was we have crowned many players as the next in line and seen their careers never materialize.

I watched Chaney's tape and I was encouraged but I also watched Frank Gore run as a TF and remember how ridiculous Duke was as a TF. So the point was to offer perspective. Chaney looked good but he didn't explode off the screen like Gore or Duke who are my personal favorite TF rbs to have watched.

Are Chaney and Duke similar backs? No, but I'd trade Chaney for another Duke right now. Hopefully he proves me wrong, seems like he is working as hard as he can to take the next step.

My point was we have crowned many players as the next in line and seen their careers never materialize.

I watched Chaney's tape and I was encouraged but I also watched Frank Gore run as a TF and remember how ridiculous Duke was as a TF. So the point was to offer perspective. Chaney looked good but he didn't explode off the screen like Gore or Duke who are my personal favorite TF rbs to have watched.

Are Chaney and Duke similar backs? No, but I'd trade Chaney for another Duke right now. Hopefully he proves me wrong, seems like he is working as hard as he can to take the next step.
You do realize the OL and WR were far better then than now so there was a lot more room for those RB's to run. Chaney is just scratching the surface of what he could be.

Advertisement
Back