NFL Dolphins

He doesn’t have an NFL arm. And from a fan’s perspective, no one wants to see the offense he can play in. It’s boring, inherently limited, and cannot succeed in today’s NFL. I was a huge Flores fan, and not sure it’s his fault, but his organization squandered draft capital that you very rarely accumulate. Fins couldn’t get a 3rd rounder for Tua right now. It’s pretty obvious Flores — who has every reason to want Tua to be the guy — knows he’s trapped in Tua purgatory and will probably be fired because of it. We have two of the fastest receivers in football, to go along with an absolute beast of a TE, and teams are daring Tua to throw the ball downfield.

Did you watch the game yesterday?

Teams know the dolphins can’t run.

The Falcons much the like jags played with 2 deep Safties the entire game.

Its literally the opposite. Teams are forcing everything underneath and waiting for a mistake from Tua.

And how many games has Will Fuller even played?

Last edited:
Advertisement
How in the **** did we lose to the Dolphins.

Play that game again now and its a similar beatdown to the one the Jets just had.

I was being sarcastic about those guys. Ha. Do we know each other off the board? Feels like we've discussed this before. I'm not anti-Tua. Never really have been. I was against moving up to get him in his draft, as I thought that was a ridiculous use of capital. I was told "that's what you do for franchise QBs." Problem was I was always weary of Tua because of the windows he threw into at Bama and his obvious durability concerns (size, etc.). I can't say I was a Herbert guy because we saw a different Herbert at Oregon and only got a glimpse of this Herbert at the Senior Bowl.

My issue with the Phins is we tend take our draft capital and make the worst possible use of it. For instance, I like Waddle as a player, generally. I don't like Waddle as the #6 overall pick in a draft. I was a big fan of the move down to 12 last year, though. I was less excited about the move to 6 unless we could use it to trade back or Pitts/Chase fell there. Our Dolphins problem is not that different than our Canes problem. Poor leadership trickles down.
This 100%. The Tua pick over Herbert wasn't really a shocker. Hindsight is obviously 20/20 but Herbert was just as questionable a pick at the time as Tua. It's the rest of Grier's picks and free agent signings that leave me wanting more.

Someone mentioned it in this thread but the 2020 draft class is such a massive letdown. We reached on too many players just because we knew we needed OL help. Offensive weapons we passed up on with our secondary picks: Justin Jefferson, Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman, D'Andre Swift, Chase Claypool. Just so we could reach on disappointing OL targets.

Then in 2021 players when the entire world thinks we're going to surround Tua with some weapons we trade away the 3rd overall pick passing up our chance to draft Ja'Marr Chase or Kyle Pitts. Chase was my top target and **** does this trade look awful considering he's about to have the most insane rookie season in NFL history.

But you still select a WR at 6 overall. I like Waddle but he's not Tyreek...he's an elite WR2 and not a true #1 IMO. Waste of the #6 overall. Then later you pass up on Najee who is an absolute workhorse and could have done wonders for this offense this year. But hey...at least you spent 10 million on Fuller.

Grier gotta go. No question about it. What a horrible GM. Flores...IDK. His fatal flaw is offensive staff. You brought in Chan Gailey who had been out of coaching for like 5 years and is also 100 years old. Run some old *** offense. Then you get rid of him to replace him with...his assistants? Co-OCs? No one knows who's calling plays? What a mess.

Overhaul the offensive staff (and defensive at this point because they're terrible too) and bring in some bright young mind that can bring creativity into this offense.

Or fire Flores. I'd be okay with that. But bring someone with a fresh perspective on offense. Joe Lombardi? Nathaniel Hackett? Kevin O'Connell? ....Lincoln Riley? Something along those lines.

Advertisement
This 100%. The Tua pick over Herbert wasn't really a shocker. Hindsight is obviously 20/20 but Herbert was just as questionable a pick at the time as Tua. It's the rest of Grier's picks and free agent signings that leave me wanting more.

Someone mentioned it in this thread but the 2020 draft class is such a massive letdown. We reached on too many players just because we knew we needed OL help. Offensive weapons we passed up on with our secondary picks: Justin Jefferson, Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman, D'Andre Swift, Chase Claypool. Just so we could reach on disappointing OL targets.

Then in 2021 players when the entire world thinks we're going to surround Tua with some weapons we trade away the 3rd overall pick passing up our chance to draft Ja'Marr Chase or Kyle Pitts. Chase was my top target and **** does this trade look awful considering he's about to have the most insane rookie season in NFL history.

But you still select a WR at 6 overall. I like Waddle but he's not Tyreek...he's an elite WR2 and not a true #1 IMO. Waste of the #6 overall. Then later you pass up on Najee who is an absolute workhorse and could have done wonders for this offense this year. But hey...at least you spent 10 million on Fuller.

Grier gotta go. No question about it. What a horrible GM. Flores...IDK. His fatal flaw is offensive staff. You brought in Chan Gailey who had been out of coaching for like 5 years and is also 100 years old. Run some old *** offense. Then you get rid of him to replace him with...his assistants? Co-OCs? No one knows who's calling plays? What a mess.

Overhaul the offensive staff (and defensive at this point because they're terrible too) and bring in some bright young mind that can bring creativity into this offense.

Or fire Flores. I'd be okay with that. But bring someone with a fresh perspective on offense. Joe Lombardi? Nathaniel Hackett? Kevin O'Connell? ....Lincoln Riley? Something along those lines.
Grier and Blake James have no business being in their current roles but were somehow elevated for god only knows why.

This regime couldn’t pick out a good offensive lineman if they were standing in the hall of fame

I don't know if you watch a lot of college football Giology but it was a NO BRAINER pick for Herbert if you followed his career. He is big, extremely mobile, and has a cannon for an arm. Watching the Dolphins since 1966 THIS WAS THE BIGGEST MISS PERIOD. Tua was hurt in college which continues in his pro career and has a pee shooter arm. The pick for Herbert was a simple decision and stop hindsight baloney.

One day I hope I’m rich enough to stick my nose where it doesn’t belong and make stupid decisions just cause I’m rich

I've been critical of Tua and Miami administration (namely Chris Grier) in selecting Tua over Herbert. Herbert looks to be the better QB. But you can't watch Tua's last two games (JAX & ATL) and think that Tua is the problem for the Dolphins. Did he throw interceptions that cost Miami? Yeah, but the second interception today was him trying to make a play because the team the front office has put around him sucks, and it's a case of Tua doing too much.

Tua's final two drives today to get Miami within a TD and then the go-ahead TD (should have been the GW TD), he was Steve Young-esque. Tua was beating ATL's defense with his arms and his legs. Speaking of, Tua's hip injury and surgery from college isn't impeding him. He looked great escaping trouble and in the open field. He's making guys miss and he looks elusive. He isn't Miami's problem. Would Watson be an improvement at the position? Of course. Watson is a top 5 (at least) QB in the NFL. But at what cost? Miami would certainly have to part with their 1st round NFL pick in 2022, and both of their 1st round picks in 2023. And that's the floor. Now that Carolina has joined the Watson sweepstakes, the cost has gone up to maybe include one or two 2nd rounders and a starting, young player too. That's too much.

Watson is great, but he's not going to put Miami above the Bills or in the top 6 teams in the AFC. Miami with Watson (on this team) isn't better than the Bills, Bengals, Ravens, Titans, Chargers, and Chiefs (Miami's defense isn't any match for the Chiefs offense). That's the AFC's teams that I would put above Miami even with Watson. And teams like the Browns, Steelers, NE, and the Raiders would be "right there" with Miami even with Watson. Why?

1. Miami's defense has completely taken a step back. They can't rush the passer (near the bottom of the NFL in sacks), and they are last in total yards allowed, pass yards allowed, and rushing yards allowed. And they only have 9 takeaways, including the two that they had today. Not to mention, the last two weeks, the defense has allowed the Jags and Falcons to drive down the field to make GW field goals AFTER the offense game them the lead.

2. Chris Grier has to be either reassigned or fired. Miami saw up close and personal his inability to identify talent. Kyle Pitts was a monster today. Ja'Marr Chase is a monster already. I like Waddle, and I think he can be a pro-bowl WR with game-breaking speed and talent but he looks to be behind Pitts and Chase just like Tua appears to be behind Herbert. Grier's drafting along both lines has been just as bad. LT Austin Jackson isn't a tackle, Eichenberg isn't a LT, Ighobenege has been (until recently because of injuries) healthy scratches (i.e., he can't help us win), and Byron Jones, X, and Baker look like they cashed in and have been on vacation. Van Ginkle and Phillips don't look like stars. Phillips wasn't any factor whatsoever today. 0 tackles, 0 sacks, 1 QB hit. All of these transactions belong to Chris Grier.

3. I hope Brian Flores isn't doing his best Al Golden impersonation and refusing to fire Def. Coord. Josh Boyer. It's Boyer's defense and he must answer for how bad they are. Again, they are either last or near the bottom of the league in essentially every single defensive category.

4. Brian Flores. He was so impressive as a HC and a developer of talent his first two years that we thought Miami hit the jackpot with him. But his decisions concerning his assistants is completely head scratching, especially his OL coach and both coordinator personnel.
Spot on!!!

Also the pass rush could have been addressed if they picked GR like I was screaming all the way up to the draft. They barely played Phillips yesterday. It's crazy...

Advertisement
Grier's complete disregard for a RB is completely asinine.
Agreed. You don’t have to use a high pick to get a good back anymore, but you still have to prioritize having two solid backs on the roster. We could’ve had Swift or Taylor at 31 instead of Igbo. Dobbins, list goes on and on.

A perfect fly under the radar pick this draft was Khalil Herbert and he was there for the taking in the 4th round, and didn’t go until the 6th. The Bears alone have 3 backs on their roster that are better than any one of ours. They’re taking the Patriots Way model way too far, you still need a good QB and some talented backs. And even if we did, we would need an actual NFL caliber OC.

**** 50% of you guys are convinced Tua is the real deal because of two games out of an otherwise terrible 16 game career for him.

If only he could play bottom of the barrel defenses like Jax and Atl every week he'll finally live up to potential. Maybe contact the schedule makers and see if the Buffalo game next week can get switched with the Texans?

Advertisement
Tua may not be the answer, but he is also far from the problem with Miami. The completely wiffed on every Oline pick and refused to draft an NFL caliber RB even though they had several opportunities. They draft one of the most explosive players in CFB the past decade and he has an average targeted route depth of 5.3 yards. For comparison, Chase is over 15. Add that to the reports that Flores doesn't like Tua and they are actively pursuing a trade to replace him, and honestly I'm not sure how anybody else succeeds in that atmosphere. Entire franchise is a joke right now from the owner right on down to the coaches. Oh, and allowing Charlie ******* Frye to call plays the first month of the season!? WTF. dude has like 3 years of CFB coaching experience, and you wonder why we averaged less than 300 yards a game the first month.

I'll get off my soap box, but long story short. The Dolphins are much more than a QB away from solving this disaster.

A lot of good takes in this thread…I’ll just add a question of what would the Dolphins’ record be if the following happened:

-Keep Van Noy. Leadership and on-field communication.

-Keep Flowers. This allows Miami to spend the draft/offseason solely focused on tackle.

-Sign one of Justin Houston, Eversen Griffen, or Olivier Vernon

All of the above are not crazy hypotheticals. In real-time, most people that follow Miami were pounding the table for all 3 scenarios.

The three biggest problems facing Miami this year:

O-Line
QB pressure w/out blitzing
Constant miscommunication on defense

A lot of good takes in this thread…I’ll just add a question of what would the Dolphins’ record be if the following happened:

-Keep Van Noy. Leadership and on-field communication.

-Keep Flowers. This allows Miami to spend the draft/offseason solely focused on tackle.

-Sign one of Justin Houston, Eversen Griffen, or Olivier Vernon

All of the above are not crazy hypotheticals. In real-time, most people that follow Miami were pounding the table for all 3 scenarios.

The three biggest problems facing Miami this year:

O-Line
QB pressure w/out blitzing
Constant miscommunication on defense
Did not realize Vernon tore his achilles, but I think my point was made. Sign ANY vet with ANY track record of pass rush ability.

Advertisement
Tua may not be the answer, but he is also far from the problem with Miami. The completely wiffed on every Oline pick and refused to draft an NFL caliber RB even though they had several opportunities. They draft one of the most explosive players in CFB the past decade and he has an average targeted route depth of 5.3 yards. For comparison, Chase is over 15. Add that to the reports that Flores doesn't like Tua and they are actively pursuing a trade to replace him, and honestly I'm not sure how anybody else succeeds in that atmosphere. Entire franchise is a joke right now from the owner right on down to the coaches. Oh, and allowing Charlie ******* Frye to call plays the first month of the season!? WTF. dude has like 3 years of CFB coaching experience, and you wonder why we averaged less than 300 yards a game the first month.

I'll get off my soap box, but long story short. The Dolphins are much more than a QB away from solving this disaster.
I couldn't have said it better myself, especially after a beer or ten yesterday.

I’m sure Flores is desperate to not end up being the next Joe Philbin or Adam Gase. He’s got his wagon hitched to a QB that he knows is not a viable NFL starter. Add on top of that that when his QB finally made some decent plays yesterday to give him the lead his defense promptly caved in. And the defense is supposed to be the strength of the team.

Man, some of you are gluttons for punishment, holding on to both the Fins and Canes; I ditched them about 9 years ago- and I rode with them since Jim Kiick came over to talk to our undefeated Junior High team in Punta Gorda in 1968.

As I've said, they've had the worst front office in the history of sports, and don't tell me about the Jets - they didn't have Dan Marino for 15 years. I've apologized for decades to my sons for making the Dolphin fans before they could chose on their own - no use. One even drove over from Punta Gorda today to watch them lose. Maybe in his lifetime the'll come back, but like the Canes have been trending; doubtful in mine.
The Dolphins one upped the Jets when they saw Tannenbaum's body of work with NY and decided it was a good idea to hire him to run the team.

Advertisement
Back