NFL Dolphins struggles

caneaddict

Senior
OK so the Dolphins have scored 17,16, 16, 15, and 17 in games where either Tua and specifically armstead are out, and scored 0 against Houston after armstead left the game. The offense suddenly looks like a shell of itself and reality is Tua probably doesnt stay healthy if armstead is out for a prolonged period of time. Also the running game completely changes for the phins with armstead out ..

Being a homer who correlates many things to my Canes, I wonder how much the zion and overall Oline health was a significant factor this year. There were games I was scared we would run out of QB's.

McDaniel goes from genius and incredible schemer to sub 20 point offense, and QB getting terrorized, looks somewhat familiar to me, am i wrong>

Advertisement
Yes and no. Football is a team sport, so if you take out a key component such as a RT (tua being a lefty), it can throw off the entire offense.

Look at belichick without Brady, even the 2008 season when the dolphins won the division with the wildcat offense. That was because Brady was out the whole year

McDaniel still runs a great scheme. Tua is still a very good qb. Guys were open all day, tua was obviously uncomfortable due to his blind side pro bowl protector being out

Yes without Armstead the team becomes a fringe playoff team. RT has long been a weakness but LT was such a strength when Armstead played.

Shocker Bennie Shell and Greg Little aren’t holding up lol
So to make this an exercise of applicability to the Canes, what do you think would happen to the canes offense if you add an elite LT and top 5 wide receiver like Hill?

Advertisement
Thought it was not the best gameplan by McDaniel. He played right into Shanahan’s hands relinquishing so much time of possession running the ball 8 times. EIGHT. Jeff Wilson had one carry. I love his aggressive mindset but right now his Achilles heel might be over aggression. Tua was off, work the misdirection and for Gods sake do more than ask the TE & RBs to chip Bosa. Bad idea.

Boyer needs to earn his fvckin paycheck. You knew it was going to be all about CMC and that was only amplified when Jimmy G went down. You then proceeded to give up 24 points to a 3rd string QB with the last name Purdy.

JP15, Ingram, Chubb, and Sieler/Wilkins is a **** good 4 man pass rush. Why is Chubb and Phillips sitting there covering the flat on 2nd & 3rd and long? Quit being cute.

This defense is consistently inconsistent on the road. They’re averaging close to 30 ppg allowed on the road. That won’t get it done in January and right now Miami is staring 8-6 in the face.

Sketchy defense, 8 rushes and only having 19 minutes in time of possession won’t win you shlt. Not even against average teams much less a team built like the 9ers and for knowing that team inside and out I thought this was a pretty glaring failure of a gameplan on both sides of the ball.

Last edited:
OK so the Dolphins have scored 17,16, 16, 15, and 17 in games where either Tua and specifically armstead are out, and scored 0 against Houston after armstead left the game. The offense suddenly looks like a shell of itself and reality is Tua probably doesnt stay healthy if armstead is out for a prolonged period of time. Also the running game completely changes for the phins with armstead out ..

Being a homer who correlates many things to my Canes, I wonder how much the zion and overall Oline health was a significant factor this year. There were games I was scared we would run out of QB's.

McDaniel goes from genius and incredible schemer to sub 20 point offense, and QB getting terrorized, looks somewhat familiar to me, am i wrong>
I mean Tua has basically zero arm talent - it's no surprise the offence struggles at times.

3 starting ol out and Tua was way off, an L not hard to understand.

On another note, Daryl Johnson is aweful, dude garbled 49 nutz all game

Advertisement
Thought it was not the best gameplan by McDaniel. He played right into Shanahan’s hands relinquishing so much time of possession running the ball 8 times. EIGHT. Jeff Wilson had one carry. I love his aggressive mindset but right now his Achilles heel might be over aggression. Tua was off, work the misdirection and for Gods sake do more than ask the TE & RBs to chip Bosa. Bad idea.

Boyer needs to earn his fvckin paycheck. You knew it was going to be all about CMC and that was only amplified when Jimmy G went down. You then proceeded to give up 24 points to a 3rd string QB with the last name Purdy.

JP15, Ingram, Chubb, and Sieler/Wilkins is a **** good 4 man pass rush. Why is Chubb and Phillips sitting there covering the flat on 2nd & 3rd and long? Quit being cute.

This defense is consistently inconsistent on the road. They’re averaging close to 30 ppg allowed on the road. That won’t get it done in January and right now Miami is staring 8-6 in the face.

Sketchy defense, 8 rushes and only having 19 minutes in time of possession won’t win you shlt. Not even against average teams much less a team built like the 9ers and for knowing that team inside and out I thought this was a pretty glaring failure of a gameplan on both sides of the ball.
I think the gamelan was OK, there were plays to be made, Tua didn't. I hate to say it, but execution was the biggest problem.

I think the gamelan was OK, there were plays to be made, Tua didn't. I hate to say it, but execution was the biggest problem.
Agreed, but you have to keep a bit of balance. You can’t abandon the run in a one score game and let the best front 7 in football just tee off on you. Especially down multiple OL, one of them being your pro bowl LT.

Add to that your typically dead accurate QB is off, it’s time to switch gears a bit. Settle him down and move the pocket, and for God’s sake don’t go empty.

you guys are hilarious, the dolphins arent good without armstead they have yet to crack 20 without him, but here you go criticizing scheme lol, yeah mcdaniel bcame dumb over night lol

when you cant run the ball everything changes for anyone

Advertisement
The offense was actually doing a lot of things well against the league’s top defense. Tua just missed some open receivers. He wasn’t very accurate on a lot of passes and it wasn’t due to pressure. Throw in the two interceptions (one was on the receiver) and you’re really limiting your scoring opportunities. I wouldn’t put too much into this one.

The offense was actually doing a lot of things well against the league’s top defense. Tua just missed some open receivers. He wasn’t very accurate on a lot of passes and it wasn’t due to pressure. Throw in the two interceptions (one was on the receiver) and you’re really limiting your scoring opportunities. I wouldn’t put too much into this one.
Agree. We’ll be fine Gotta win our conference games

i see a trend
gooseegg 2nd half houston

not just this one

Advertisement
Agreed, but you have to keep a bit of balance. You can’t abandon the run in a one score game and let the best front 7 in football just tee off on you. Especially down multiple OL, one of them being your pro bowl LT.

Add to that your typically dead accurate QB is off, it’s time to switch gears a bit. Settle him down and move the pocket, and for God’s sake don’t go empty.
Tua missed on many open receivers, this loss is on him. He just didn't play well.

This was a tough loss, the last five games will be rough, Bills, Jets, pats, packers, chargers. Miami could easily lose 3 of those.

McDaniel knows offense but I’m still surprised he can’t drum anything up running the ball. Every game it’s just a one dimensional offense and if a team can cover the middle of the field, like SF has with Werner it makes it difficult
100% its been shocking to me that teams dont take out the middle and make tua throw outside and deep, but I guess Hill and waddle can force the issue and impose their will somewhat with their spped and quickness

Advertisement
Back