Doesn't make sense

Advertisement
UM football is like a junk yard car.

One coach comes in - gets an engine running - but no transmission.

Another coach comes in - get the differential working slick - with no steering.

Another coach comes in - gets the body in good shape - no frame.

On, and on, and on.

The disconnect comes when only looking at numbers

There's a world of difference between DeAndre Hopkins and Phillip Dorsett
There's a world of difference between Deshaun Watson and Brad Kaaya

Our numbers are similar - our talent is nowhere close.

So staying on focus though... they had only one offensive linemen drafted in that time frame. So in that regard Miami's talent is far superior by identical logic.

Sure an argument kaaya isn't Watson... but I can't even compare but 2 Clemson's offensive linemen to Miami's 8 in ten years.

The thread is offensive line and the misconception ALL of Miami's woes is located there. I Beg to differ regardless of what position player you choose

Advertisement
So staying on focus though... they had only one offensive linemen drafted in that time frame. So in that regard Miami's talent is far superior by identical logic.

Sure an argument kaaya isn't Watson... but I can't even compare but 2 Clemson's offensive linemen to Miami's 8 in ten years.

The thread is offensive line and the misconception ALL of Miami's woes is located there. I Beg to differ regardless of what position player you choose

I'm in agreement that blaming the OL for all our problems is false. It's just an easy and lazy argument to make because there's no stats to compare how good offensive lines are or aren't. And no one's going to disagree with you if you blame the OL, so everyone does it.

In terms of what makes an offense better:

QB - has by far the most impact.
RB/WR - these can be can change games because they have the ball in their hands, and make game changing plays
OL/TE - TE's can't consistently break big plays like WR's. They get much less yardage. And OL don't have the ball in their hands

OL/TE's - Miami is better than Clemson, and I'd say much better, at positions that have much less impact on the offense
RB - have been pretty even
QB's & WR's - Miami has been nowhere close to Clemson at positions that have a huge impact on the offense

So when comparing players at different offensive positions, you have to weigh how important that position is, and the impact it can have.

To be fair, Clemson has had 2 elite QBs in Lawrence and Watson in that timespan. Watson is pretty much a lock for his second straight Pro Bowl, and Lawrence will likely be a top 5 draft pick when he declares.

They have also had good college QBs in Boyd and Bryant, but obviously they aren’t in the same stratosphere as the previous two. Super frustrating that we can’t take advantage of the talent we already have on the team though. We have more than enough to post a top 25 offense.
Good points...............the team, no the heart of the team is the talent and efficiency of the QB. This is the key. With QB's Clemson. Searching and still can't fine a QB Miami.....it is a **** shame, and this has been recurring for years.

Rich Roid worked his typical miracles with Woody The Wino Dantzler. That dude couldn’t throw the ball for ****, but Rich Roid coaxed some decent throw numbers out of him.
That was the beauty of the spread back then, gave teams with less talent the ability to move the ball up and down the field and put points on board.. Once adopted by talented teams in recent times now its back to haves and have nots..

Meanwhile in miami

Advertisement
I'm in agreement that blaming the OL for all our problems is false. It's just an easy and lazy argument to make because there's no stats to compare how good offensive lines are or aren't. And no one's going to disagree with you if you blame the OL, so everyone does it.

In terms of what makes an offense better:

QB - has by far the most impact.
RB/WR - these can be can change games because they have the ball in their hands, and make game changing plays
OL/TE - TE's can't consistently break big plays like WR's. They get much less yardage. And OL don't have the ball in their hands

OL/TE's - Miami is better than Clemson, and I'd say much better, at positions that have much less impact on the offense
RB - have been pretty even
QB's & WR's - Miami has been nowhere close to Clemson at positions that have a huge impact on the offense

So when comparing players at different offensive positions, you have to weigh how important that position is, and the impact it can have.

OL got relegated to "don't have the ball in their Hands" nice.

Our last 3 OC’s are Coley, Richt and Penos that’s why.
Actually, Thomas Brown, not Richt was OC, but that was in name only. Richt ran the offense. He was the one who squinted at his cheat sheet between plays and then called one.

Lester Williams

Also add Jammi German of limogate fame
Forston was second to a guy from Washington DC who went to UNC and played for Butch.

I remember one recruiting service had Claude Jones rated no. 1 OG.

I don't think Ed Reed, Sean Taylor or Ray Lewis were near number ones.

Advertisement

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?abbr=C&collegeName=Clemson&abbrFlag=0&type=school

In an 11 year time frame (2019-2009) Clemson has had 7 top 25 scoring offenses while Miami has had ZERO.

Yet Clemson has not had a single first round offensive linemen drafted and only TWO offensive linemen drafted in that time frame.

Miami? Has had a first round offensive lineman and a total of EIGHT offensive linemen drafted in that time frame.

The offensive struggles blamed solely on the offensive line talent seriously took a hit no? I think it's safe to say coaching matters, development matters and system fit is imperative.

Cmon bruh. You know football better than this. The draft isnt an indicator (especially for lineman) of what a team is capable of at the college level. It's a mentality first and foremost. Keep recruiting these south floriduh lineman and these are the results to expect. Zero cohesiveness and the brains of a dead mule. I'll take these gritty hard nosed slightly undersized country boys with a chip on their shoulder any day of the week & twice on sunday over these city kids. Absolutely scheme matters and coaches who understand how to communicate with their room. We havent had that since art.

OL got relegated to "don't have the ball in their Hands" nice.

You're trying to make it seem like I'm saying OL aren't important. I'm not. I'm saying OL don't have as much impact as QB or RB/WR.

OL aren't even equal. LT is more important than RT. Both Tackles are more important than interior lineman.

There's a sliding scale on positional value, so you should't weigh each position equally.

Forston and the DC kid were different classes - but both #1 at DT.

Could be on Jones - not sure.

Yeah, Reed, Taylor and Lewis weren't that highly rated - just great pickups and some of the best ever.

Forston was second to a guy from Washington DC who went to UNC and played for Butch.

I remember one recruiting service had Claude Jones rated no. 1 OG.

I don't think Ed Reed, Sean Taylor or Ray Lewis were near number ones.

Advertisement
Just remember this people before yall get to carried away with the clemson & dabo piece, who on here actually thinks dabo is a good coach, lol, the main thing that happened with clemson is simple, they are just a s.e.c. team in the ACC, once clemson decided to go all in on the program, brought in brent veneables as the d-co, started dropping big bags for d-linemen and players, the plan actually started taking shape when they got cj spiller, than on to sammy watkins. This dabo guy is not that good of a headcoach, which is why coach richt looked at em and thinks he's a joke cause he knows dabo doeesnt share his same principals and is a cheater. Showed his hypocrite class when coach richt was on the set, but to the media praising em. People seem to have short memories these days, dabo lost 2 coach shannon and the times they did get victories over us it was either on miraculous type plays or battles, than the decision that UM didnt make, clemson did, go all in on dabo.

If UM would've went halfway in with coach shannon, this program would've been way better off, for instance, simple **** like, giving coach shannon more money to invest in the S&C program along with coach swasey. That alone would've kept us on point. We fell behind in that department, point being,the rise of dabo took along time, and how he got their,i can tell you it wasnt because of his coaching!

how are you allowed to use the internet?

Agree with this. This same staff that coached the FIU and Duke games also coached and schemed the FSU and Virginia games. When you're beating the better teams and losing to the worst teams, the cause of that difference is not scheme, it's players who have zero pride and commitment to their preparation and game play when the opponent isn't a **** enough brand for them to get excited over.

That said, I agree with most everyone that Enos and the scheme need to be replaced. But that's ONE of our problems. The team culture issue is critical too and may be difficult to fix with existing players. No one should be deluded into thinking that solving one of them is enough.

FSU is worse than FIU and Duke. wtf are you talking about? and did you see Clemson run a train on UVA?

ALL these teams are bad except regretfully UFag. And we went 6-6 versus this schedule.

FSU is worse than FIU and Duke. wtf are you talking about? and did you see Clemson run a train on UVA?
ALL these teams are bad except regretfully UFag. And we went 6-6 versus this schedule.

A team that got absolutely blown out by Tulane, Middle Tennessee and FAU and also lost to Western KY, LA Tech and Marshall is better than FSU? Three of FSU's losses were to ranked power 5 teams. You can make the argument that FSU is terrible by their past standards and that they are a mediocre p5 team, but they are not worse than FIU. Duke is better for your argument, but they still lost 7 games and got smashed by Syracuse by 43 points. FSU beat Syracuse by 18. Our defense actually played UVA better than Clemson did. Our offense was still.... well... Enosy, but we had enough D to win.

Are you honestly arguing that the players weren't a lot more focused and hungry for FSU & UVA than they were for FIU & Duke?

Advertisement
Back