Doesn't make sense

Said it before, great teams are built from the inside out.

Our offense is the absolute opposite of that.

Advertisement
Just because we have had 8 OL drafted over the past 7 or 8 years means nothing in regard to how bad our OL has been the past 2 years(no one drafted off of last years team). Since Flowers and Henderson our recruiting of tackles has been abysmal and development has been worse. Those 2 were talented enough on their own to play as true freshman. Being forced to start a true freshman project signee at LT shows how bad all aspects of OL has been.

It makes sense. They had 2 4 year starters graduate last year. Can’t draft those who don’t leave. And last year? They were good as a group but not nfl good. Like what is Zion in 3 more years? Maybe an excellent college player but not nfl. Like our beloved Dorsey as a prime example of great at college and not nfl.

Advertisement
Coaching and culture, for sure.

Those Clemson kids, they just drink up whatever the **** nonsense Dabo spews out. But you have to admit, it works. Whether it's money, the facilities, the town....something makes those kids really buy into the program and STAY when they could easily transfer out, go to the NFL, or in the staff's sake, take another job.

What the **** is Brent Venables still doing there? Jeff Scott FINALLY just got poached off that staff, but they've got good coaches and a good culture. How the fvck do you have 4 kids on the same DL all project as possible first round picks, and ALL of them come back the next year. At Miami, if you tell a kid he's allowed to watch the draft on TV he declares.

So it's absolutely coaching, yes. But he's also somehow built a culture there (which makes me sick as he's baptizing kids on the 50 yard line) that makes kids want to stay, makes coaches want to stay, and they are ALL bought into Clemson first and themselves second. I'm just not sure the kids in Florida are built like that, for the most part. Of course there's exceptions. But the kids don't even take visits after they commit, and they turn down first round money to stay in that boring *** town? And nobody has been able to pry anyone off his staff for multiple years? Crazy.

Might be that good ol Clemphsun ***** !!

Advertisement
This is one of those things that defies logic. People look at who goes on to the NFL as a measure of success and want to use to an NFL scheme in college to attract NFL bound recruits. Meanwhile, NFL rosters are littered with players from all over. Add to that the fact that some outstanding college players never make it to the NFL and if they do, never succeed.

Maybe college teams should focus on picking great college players and winning using college schemes and let the NFL take care of itself.

Last edited:
I’m tired of blaming bad OL. ANY good coach starts by taking inventory. This is what I have. Then they proceed to implementing a plan that works WITH what they have. Our coaches for idk how long now have a plan and implement it before taking inventory. Our coaches don’t even have to be all world they just can’t be stubborn. Implement a plan/scheme that fits current personnel until you have the personnel needed to run what you want. That’s why this staff does not get the excuse we need our guys. Fine we can wait on that IF and ONLY IF we see you maximize what you do have. Putting the kids in the best spot to excel builds confidence. Confidence doesn’t come from getting beat over and over as a LT and going 6-6.

It makes sense. They had 2 4 year starters graduate last year. Can’t draft those who don’t leave. And last year? They were good as a group but not nfl good. Like what is Zion in 3 more years?

This and only this.

People severely overestimate how many teams actually start freshmen or sophomore (redshirt or otherwise) offensive linemen. Alabama when I watched them had Neal (5 star freshman) this year, the rest were Juniors and Seniors. Florida and Ole Miss were the same when I watched them. Posters should google teams they think have decent or good offensive lines and check it out. Communication, experience, strength training improves over years. You surround the young guys being pushed into action early with older experienced players. Those players don’t exist at Miami.

Miami throws out young potential that leaves early, flashes early then regressed, or gets shell shocked early and never develops.

The thing with getting an athletic project like Zion Nelson is in a normal situation he takes the career arc of a guy like Corey Gaynor and sees the field barely at all until his 3rd year.

Joe Thomas talked about the lack of pro style offenses in college and how pro style is so difficult for lineman because of the base talent it requires along with years of repetition. Do Miami lineman look great to scouts because they have 3 or 4 years of those repetitions and blocking schemes as opposed to the spread style that Clemson runs? Essentially being a quicker plug and play
I like your question. I also wonder why we struggle to get top flight O Linemen when we would have a great selling point for them to come.

Advertisement
giphy-9.gif

The spread offense has become the great equalizer in college football

Wide af splits, three step drops outa shotgun, that is the equaliser. The truth is the OL wont have many people drafted because they generally work in a passive sense in the spread, lotta catch blocking as well.

NFL linemen work at the point of attack, and our players have played in basically a pro style offense, thus allowing quite the draft pedigree. its a weird deal.

Apparently we do. Because they out schemed the **** out of us. Fiu was a clinic.
LOL mane. That's pretty funny.

You also forgot to mention Clemson has had one of the best QBs (arguably the best player) in the nation for 5 out of the last 7 years. That could have something to do with their offensive production. Now does it make some sense as to why they would have a top offense?

Advertisement
I like your question. I also wonder why we struggle to get top flight O Linemen when we would have a great selling point for them to come.

If you want the mental aspect of being a lineman (which how many 17 or 18 year old kids are interested in that?) come to Miami.. because we run a pro style you will either sit for a few years or be thrust into action and get trial by fire. You will play for a few years, never really play for anything because its incredibly difficult to get 5 cohesive college lineman to run this style and then be a 5th or 6th round pick. Or you can go to a Bama or Georgia type school that has a development and progression structure in place, elite of the very elite strength and conditioning, and OL leadership. Plus you'll play for a Natty possibly.

I think that progression structure is really important. Its gotta help retention because the best upperclassmen typically plays LT. LTs get PAID. So why not stay one more year to get a few million bump in pay? But these guys get the best tackles in the country and IF they play as a freshman its at guard. It's not uncommon to see a really good guard play center.

wait, they literally or figuratively won national championships? that's always unclear

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?abbr=C&collegeName=Clemson&abbrFlag=0&type=school

In an 11 year time frame (2019-2009) Clemson has had 7 top 25 scoring offenses while Miami has had ZERO.

Yet Clemson has not had a single first round offensive linemen drafted and only TWO offensive linemen drafted in that time frame.

Miami? Has had a first round offensive lineman and a total of EIGHT offensive linemen drafted in that time frame.

The offensive struggles blamed solely on the offensive line talent seriously took a hit no? I think it's safe to say coaching matters, development matters and system fit is imperative.

Coaching matters

Advertisement
Back