Does Miami have a chance of making the CFP?

Anything can happen in college football. Look at UCF. College football is the only football that has totally new members every 4 or 5 years so last years teams are not this years teams. Also teams are built two ways, first to beat their conference foes, once accomplishing that they build to win National Championships. Which results in teams being built to beat the top teams...Alabama is a power house team yet Clemson embarrassed them last year. I expect this year every coach of every team that faces Clemson is scrutinizing every play, every formation and figuring ways to beat them. Also teams copy the top teams like teams copied our speed. Also throw in the luck factor, weak schedules and a team goes undefeated, no injuries, or even the way a football bounces. If our 1986 team played PSU 10 times they would win 9 but not at the Fiesta Bowl where we dominated but lost. Our chances are better than most of college football.
Our ten win season became a disaster when teams learned we could not win throwing the ball and Richt did not adjust, new coach, nes offense, new schemes and we just might get lucky.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Sincerely,

Every 'Canes fan for the last 15 years
Lol you’re right. But I believe it really and im always realistic not a homer at all. I believe because of the way the guys are rallying around Manny, and putting in the extra work on their own.

Don't have to beat Clemson to get into the CFP. Go undefeated, win the games we're supposed to convincingly, and then give Clemson all they can handle. Even then we'd probably need the 2nd best SEC team, Big 10 team and Big 12 team to have 2 losses.

Likelihood of happening? Prolly 5%

Advertisement
Since our schedule is a joke, the answer is yes. If we make it to the ACC title game with one loss — and somehow miraculously beat Clemson — then we should be in.

If our defense is close to last year, and Enos puts an offense together similar to his first year at Arkansas... they can beat almost anyone on a given day. Clemson or Bama? idk. I actually think Bama is better than Clemson this season though

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'd be beyond thrilled with a NY6 bowl in Manny's first year. That'd be NY6 2 outta the last 3 years. That's surely progress from what we saw from 2005 to 2015.

With our schedule, we should be able to make the ACCCG, most likely lose to Clemson, and a NY6 will be our consolation. That's what I foresee, and hopefully I'm right. Anything above that would be gravy....anything below that would be disappointing, but I wouldn't be terribly alarmed if we won 9 games w/ a bowl victory.

Who knows. I do think a one-loss Miami team would get in if it wins the ACC title. And it's way too early to determine what Clemson would look like in December....for all we know they could be dealing with a bunch of key injuries by then while our guys miraculously have remained relatively healthy. And then in the playoff it's just 2 games....whatever team can get hot wins.

Advertisement
With our schedule, we should be able to make the ACCCG, most likely lose to Clemson, and a NY6 will be our consolation. That's what I foresee, and hopefully I'm right. Anything above that would be gravy....anything below that would be disappointing, but I wouldn't be terribly alarmed if we won 9 games w/ a bowl victory.

Not to go off on a tangent, but I personally put very little stock into bowl games. The motivation factor is just too unpredictable. Not that they're totally irrelevant, but I don't factor them much when looking at the totality of a season.

I'm here for 10 wins (9 at absolute worst) in the regular season, a Coastal championship (non-negotiable), a respectable showing in Charlotte against Clemson, and a NY6 game.

Go 12-0, lose to Clemson in the ACC-CG, get lucky that someone beats Clemson in the CFP, then we get lucky in the championship game.

It could happen. Extremely unlikely, but it could happen.

I don’t get all the conceeding defeat to a team that lost to 4-8 SYRACUSE.

“Oh it was luck”, they say. They almost lost to them again at home the next season.

Can’t use the talent excuse. Syracuse consistently recruits in the 50’s and 60’s.

They haven’t done anything Miami can’t do with better players.

Just need a staff that can coach its way out a wet paper bag on both sides of the ball simultaneously.

I think we have that now.

We are winning the ACC this year, regardless if it’s Clemson or some other scrub team from the other side.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back