Does D’Eriq King have a chance to get drafted as a QB

Advertisement
Problem is this was written before the Clemson game, really feel he needs another year to be more consistent.
True. But it was also before the NC State game. While I agree he could use one more year, he will also be 24 next August. If he stays, he’s looking at being a 25 year old NFL rookie so there’s a bit of an argument either way to be made.

Absolutely has the ability to be drafted as QB. There are alotttttt of trash backups making millions lol. Would be wise to come back next year though and continue to put film out there against P5 competition. That alone would be the difference between round 5-7 and 4 and up.

True. But it was also before the NC State game. While I agree he could use one more year, he will also be 24 next August. If he stays, he’s looking at being a 25 year old NFL rookie so there’s a bit of an argument either way to be made.
Not seeing the downside to his age. He'd be more mature than others. And he'd still have a 10-year pro career.

Advertisement
I think a lot of teams would draft him in the late rounds to have him as their practice squad QB while they also test him out at slot or even a Duke Johnson type RB/WR hybrid role. I am not sure how he improves his stock as a QB by staying another year. But I would love to have him back.

King needs to work on his pocket presence and manipulation if he wants a chance at the league. Russ, Murray, Brees can all move in the pocket and create throwing lanes for themselves despite their height. King has a tendency to evacuate good pockets and doesn’t know how to retreat or step up as well as the other successful short QBs

I am not sure how he improves his stock as a QB by staying another year. But I would love to have him back.
It should logically improve just based on him being a Heisman favorite on what should be a good team, in a system for 2 years and not as many Big name QBs that are expected to get drafted like after this season.

Advertisement
Not seeing the downside to his age. He'd be more mature than others. And he'd still have a 10-year pro career.
NFL GM's will invariably go with the younger player if all other things are equal. A 25 year old rookie is a red flag for GMs.

NFL GM's will invariably go with the younger player if all other things are equal. A 25 year old rookie is a red flag for GMs.
Possibly.
But if he has a Joe Burrow type of year with video game type offensive numbers he is an automatic top 10 pick no matter how old he is.

Advertisement
Possibly.
But if he has a Joe Burrow type of year with video game type offensive numbers he is an automatic top 10 pick no matter how old he is.
One reason why he should strongly consider staying is the 2021 NFL Draft QB class has a lot of guys the "experts" rank ahead of King (Lawrence, Fields, Lance, Wilson, Jones, Trask, etc etc).

I don't know what the 2022 crop looks like, but I can't imagine it tops next year's class.

Down side is he's like 23/24 years old and is projecting as a slot receiver.

Upside is next year heisman is wide open, no other stud qbs that I can think of (lawrence and osu qb will be gone) and I think overall we return alot and should be better offensively. The OLine and receivers should be better which should make his numbers be better and maybe people think he has a shot to be a QB?
Yeah, probably, late. Mid Rd., or later. Would coming back improve his chances, imo most definitely. Another year under this offense, improved OL, more work with his WR’s, better opportunity to up his skill level and toolbox. Good for us also.

Advertisement
His inaccuracy on deep balls outside the hashes and inability to effectively work the middle of the field due to his height would make me pass on him, personally.

The windows in the NFL are TIGHT. I don’t think King is accurate enough to make a squad at QB.
Yep - you can look at Wilson and Murray as comparisons, but both of those guys have far better arms than King has.

Miami should have a whole marketing campaign around his likeness that would guarantee him more money than his signing bonus. Add to that making him a Miami sports icon and the residual benifits long term. He’s never gonna be an NFL star but if he comes back and leads the Canes to back to back “great” seasons and helps turn the program around he will always have earning potential.

At the risk of dating myself, he is Antwaan Randle El reincarnated
For the young bucks that don’t remember Randle El, he played QB at Indiana in the late 90s. Dual threat. Big 10 Freshman of the year. Big 10 player of the year as a senior and a 1st team all American.

Measured at the combine 5’9”, 190ish. Drafted in the 2nd round by the Steelers. Switched to slot in the NFL, where he went on to become an all Pro in 2005. But he was a total Swiss Army knife. Returned kicks and punts. Ended his career with 6 TD passes, including 1 in the 4th quarter of a super bowl win.

Aside from the obvious size and athleticism comparisons, he had that same moxie, winner attitude that King has. So he made the league and had a nice career... but not as a QB.

We are talking early 2000s, when guys like Trent Dilfer were still considered prototype NFL QBs. Obviously the game has changed. But you need to be special like Kyler, who is vastly more accurate and probably a better athlete than King. And he had the pedigree (i.e., Heisman).

Point being, I’ll be shocked if King ever sees a full series as a QB in the league. He can be a gadget player like @Poptimus said. But that’ll depend not only on how his combine numbers are, but how his hands are... Randle El was a good enough WR to make a pro bowl and start and contribute for a SB winning team. Whether King can contribute as a slot will determine whether or not he gets drafted, IMO.

Really, I think King ends up in the XFL or CFL or something like that. He is a great college QB, but he doesn’t have the size or accuracy to make it at the next level.

Advertisement
Back