Does college athletes getting paid, help, hurt, or nothing changes for Miami.

Last year when this was being talked about, I mentioned that the #1 thing that made Miami successful over the decades is innovation.

Schelly- changed the game by creating the "state of Miami"
Jimmy- the Miami 4-3
Erickson- the one back offense
Butch- elite at talent recognition

But just like in the corporate world, others copy the innovation so you lose your competitive edge. My one hope for Manny Diaz was that he was smart enough to innovate in some way. The transfer portal looked like something Miami could take advantage of and we were at the forefront for a short while, but its hard to build a team with just the portal. My next suggestion was the NIL. Miami had to position itself as the CFB leader for NIL. Create courses to teach players about signing deals, marketing etc. When kids go on recruiting visits, they would see that Miami was light years ahead of any other program in terms of NIL, and was locked and loaded for them to start making legal money. We had the market, but we needed someone smart enough to see that. I have to say Diaz and Miami exceeded my expectations. Not one minute after NIL became legal, we had multiple players announcing deals.

Oh- and Bama? How many deals have their players announced today? I saw Bama had some 8th string WR claim he had some video game deal getting paid to tweet endorsements, but many other Bama PLAYERS (again, these are players, not coaches) were ****ting on the idea of NIL.

"[N]ot all players seem interested in the potential revenue opportunity. Freshman defensive lineman Monkell Goodwine posted Wednesday to Instagram, “I’ve decided that i will not be focusing on the name image and likeness, yet I will focuse [sic] more on the upcoming season on and off the field. Junior safety DeMarcco Hellams and sophomore linebacker Demouy Kennedy posted an identical message to Instagram reading, “Don’t let that NIL distract you from the bag you really supposed to be chasing.”'

I'm sure recruits who are interested in NIL are going to love the idea of playing for a coach that hates NIL and to be on a team where their own teammates are going to constantly question their commitment. Clemson? Dabo hates the idea of NIL so much he said he'd retire. On the flip side, Miami has whole marketing program set up to help players get that $$$

Let's check the NIL scoreboard: Miami 1, Bag Schools 0
Here’s another advantage to legal payments over the “bags”. Bagmen only pay money to recruits. Once you’ve signed, they have no reason to continue paying you. What’s going to happen when these Alabama players who are already there see Billy Bob’s car dealership drop all this NIL money on incoming players while ignoring the guys who are already on the team? Is there an endorsement opportunity in Tuscaloosa for a guy who’s already enrolled? Are boosters going to throw a ton of money at guys even after they’ve already signed on?

Advertisement
It’s gonna hurt us when the bag men come up with their scheme to pay the kids “legally”.

Kids are already getting 6 figures under the table. Now that it’s not even taboo anymore… the big money schools will still prevail like they always do.

Gonna look great for a little bit though and we need to capitalize on it with the 2022 class.

The only question is how much the big market of Miami can offset what those schools are gonna do.

I dont think its about college finances. At least, not in the long run. In fact, I think it changes the actual market structure. My macro view on this is there is a depressed (in fact I would argue actively suppressed) market for football talent. This is a factor of express or tacit collusion between NFL, NCAA, and state & federal regulators.

And yes, I would not be surprised in the least if programs can no longer compete and there is a massive restructuring in the college football landscape (college athletics overall).

So be it. Removing artificial and unjust barriers to individuals opportunity to be compensated fully for their skills and talents is more important. And I would add uniquely talented both in terms of physical abilities but also the time frame within which they can maximize their earnings.

NIL is one step towards establishing a more accurate market for football talent. We may see it evolve into a club system for the NFL - which is essentially what it is now - its just the most talented aren't able to fully capitalize on their value (due to lack of market). Scholarships are essentially a de facto salary cap.

To comment on your question directly about whether it benefits Miami or not. As others have stated, probably too early to tell. Many variables. And depends on your time horizon for success for failure. One fundamental force I think is favorable is its relative market size in terms of media, consumers, economic health, etc. It is also one of the most attractive locales to live.

This will also, I suspect, ultimately differentiate between the top 5 star talent but also less heralded recruits. What markets would I bet on that is best able to offer both top talent but also the 3 and 4 star recruits, support for their NIL? Again, I keep coming back to those markets that have size and diversity in their economies.

What Im most interested in is seeing the impact and changes in college coaching and specifically college football back offices.
I think what we'll see over the next thirty years:

1) Over sixty colleges (at minimum) drop college football. The expenses are too high and there will likely be health related lawsuits that make it more untenable
2) Of the remaining colleges (potentially no more than thirty), each will be sponsored by an NFL franchise. So Alabama for instance may have some of its operational expenses paid for instance by Tampa Bay
3) Over time, this relationship evolves to the point where the NFL team in question takes over primary day to day funding and operations. The remaining colleges are "hosts" for the now minor league system. Scholarships are provided as bonuses to the players, but acceptance of these scholarships is not required. Players under a certain age can go to and from the NFL main roster to their "college" teams

Hopefully Miami would still be a part of this system

It’s gonna hurt us when the bag men come up with their scheme to pay the kids “legally”.

Kids are already getting 6 figures under the table. Now that it’s not even taboo anymore… the big money schools will still prevail like they always do.

Gonna look great for a little bit though and we need to capitalize on it with the 2022 class.

The only question is how much the big market of Miami can offset what those schools are gonna do.
Can a bag-man just order 30M t-shirts from Johnny McSevenstar? That would theoretically be legal.

Advertisement
Last year when this was being talked about, I mentioned that the #1 thing that made Miami successful over the decades is innovation.

Schelly- changed the game by creating the "state of Miami"
Jimmy- the Miami 4-3
Erickson- the one back offense
Butch- elite at talent recognition

But just like in the corporate world, others copy the innovation so you lose your competitive edge. My one hope for Manny Diaz was that he was smart enough to innovate in some way. The transfer portal looked like something Miami could take advantage of and we were at the forefront for a short while, but its hard to build a team with just the portal. My next suggestion was the NIL. Miami had to position itself as the CFB leader for NIL. Create courses to teach players about signing deals, marketing etc. When kids go on recruiting visits, they would see that Miami was light years ahead of any other program in terms of NIL, and was locked and loaded for them to start making legal money. We had the market, but we needed someone smart enough to see that. I have to say Diaz and Miami exceeded my expectations. Not one minute after NIL became legal, we had multiple players announcing deals.

Oh- and Bama? How many deals have their players announced today? I saw Bama had some 8th string WR claim he had some video game deal getting paid to tweet endorsements, but many other Bama PLAYERS (again, these are players, not coaches) were ****ting on the idea of NIL.

"[N]ot all players seem interested in the potential revenue opportunity. Freshman defensive lineman Monkell Goodwine posted Wednesday to Instagram, “I’ve decided that i will not be focusing on the name image and likeness, yet I will focuse [sic] more on the upcoming season on and off the field. Junior safety DeMarcco Hellams and sophomore linebacker Demouy Kennedy posted an identical message to Instagram reading, “Don’t let that NIL distract you from the bag you really supposed to be chasing.”'

I'm sure recruits who are interested in NIL are going to love the idea of playing for a coach that hates NIL and to be on a team where their own teammates are going to constantly question their commitment. Clemson? Dabo hates the idea of NIL so much he said he'd retire. On the flip side, Miami has whole marketing program set up to help players get that $$$

Let's check the NIL scoreboard: Miami 1, Bag Schools 0
You made some great points, bag schools for the most part are in rural areas so of course like Dabo doesn’t like it

Here’s another advantage to legal payments over the “bags”. Bagmen only pay money to recruits. Once you’ve signed, they have no reason to continue paying you. What’s going to happen when these Alabama players who are already there see Billy Bob’s car dealership drop all this NIL money on incoming players while ignoring the guys who are already on the team? Is there an endorsement opportunity in Tuscaloosa for a guy who’s already enrolled? Are boosters going to throw a ton of money at guys even after they’ve already signed on?
And how much information on past illegal payments come to light?

Also curious about what brands align themselves with a program? How does Twitch go after this? UberEats, GoPuff, DoorDash, etc? Red Bull?

My guess is College Hunks targets big time athletes in a variety of markets since I'm pretty sure they're franchised. So franchise owner in Miami paid for King. Franchise owner in Tuscaloosa will pay for Bama player. Columbus for Ohio State player, etc etc etc.

This has my head spinning. 2021-2022 is going to be wild.
I know it was a rhetorical question but College Hunks was co-founded by a UM grad.
The right thing to do would be to restrict NIL opportunities on your franchises elsewhere (y)

Some of you guys are overcomplicating this: This is unquestionably a benefit for UM, possibly more than any other NCAA program. Here's why: Our brand.

It is by far the only elite asset we have, and it's been the only thing no one can pull the rug out from underneath, including ourselves. Not even our location has been able to hold-up.

Miami, the city, is on fire right now, too. So this allows us to leverage both brands to reward the players for associating with it on the up-and-up.
you’re over valuing Miamis brand. Yes it’s all we have, but it’s not elite. miamis brand is severely tarnished, but Miami fans insist it’s just because the world hates us, when in reality that’s really the general opinion of a school on a 15 year run of mediocrity.

Advertisement
The fact that our two best players got 20k from a junk hauling/moving company doesn’t bode well for this having a huge impact for Miami.
That it happened within 8 seconds of being legally able to do so DOES bode well for Miami. Not to mention that you left out an addl 3 deals.

Last edited:

We’ll never be able to match the bag schools, but if we start winning more games there will be more opportunities for our players. It’s the nature of Miami as a front running town

In my opinion there is far too much certainty on all sides with this issue. We simply cannot say what the effect of this will be long term, and anyone who is definitively saying it’s X or Y is speaking more from their biases than future-proofed knowledge.

The NCAA abdicated their role in helping tailor this new era, to the degree they literally didn’t pass a measure until the night before the new rules go into effect. It’s unfathomable how badly they handled this, akin to using an E Brake to steer down a massive hill and in the last 20’ dropping the brake and popping the clutch in neutral.

NIL (or something like it) could've have been shepherded into place by an organization that embraced its inevitability and therefore created a model of infrastructure to support it. Instead we have a runaway train whose only way of velocity control is the forces the market provides. On the whole I trust the market more than the NCAA, but without any guide rails there are going to be more than a few cars that end up going off the side of the hill.

I am 40% sure it helps Miami and 60% unsure of what that help actually means. I base this on the belief that 1) Miami has legitimate ground to make up in the arms race of player talent, 2) Miami as a market has potential as a revenue source for players, and 3) Miami as an institution recognizes 1 and 2 and has made real planning efforts to capitalize on those opportunities. The unknowns are that I am not an expert on any of this and holy crap what just happened I can’t believe it’s real but ok cool woo hoo lets get kids paid.

Advertisement
It’s huge for MiamI. We have what most schools don’t have , a big market and a ton of options. Sec hick schools already pay crazy money , now we can some what counteract that.
Just wait till Bryce Young gets a 750k endorsement deal from a mom and pop bbq stand in the middle of nowhere alabama

Just wait till Bryce Young gets a 750k endorsement deal from a mom and pop bbq stand in the middle of nowhere alabama
That's when the IRS should enter the picture. Bumblefuk BBQ claiming it cleared $80k in profits last year shouldn't be liquid enough to be making those payouts to Baga players.

Advertisement
Anyone, but preferably someone with good knowledge about college finances and all that good stuff. Seems on the surface it will help, being in Miami a big city, tons of endorsement opportunities. Let’s talk!
I worry about our coaches more than anything else, or at least head coach. He can prove a ton to me this year.

While I think this will obviously draw kids to UM, he hasn't shown me the ability to coach them up AND keep them focused JUST with academics, much less adding BLM social justice clubs headed by football coaches and players being entrepreneurs and worrying about endorsement deals and finances.

Strong head coaches will now be at even more of a premium to reign all of that **** in and get the best out of the players week in and week out. JMO.

UM

In my opinion there is far too much certainty on all sides with this issue. We simply cannot say what the effect of this will be long term, and anyone who is definitively saying it’s X or Y is speaking more from their biases than future-proofed knowledge.

The NCAA abdicated their role in helping tailor this new era, to the degree they literally didn’t pass a measure until the night before the new rules go into effect. It’s unfathomable how badly they handled this, akin to using an E Brake to steer down a massive hill and in the last 20’ dropping the brake and popping the clutch in neutral.

NIL (or something like it) could've have been shepherded into place by an organization that embraced its inevitability and therefore created a model of infrastructure to support it. Instead we have a runaway train whose only way of velocity control is the forces the market provides. On the whole I trust the market more than the NCAA, but without any guide rails there are going to be more than a few cars that end up going off the side of the hill.

I am 40% sure it helps Miami and 60% unsure of what that help actually means. I base this on the belief that 1) Miami has legitimate ground to make up in the arms race of player talent, 2) Miami as a market has potential as a revenue source for players, and 3) Miami as an institution recognizes 1 and 2 and has made real planning efforts to capitalize on those opportunities. The unknowns are that I am not an expert on any of this and holy crap what just happened I can’t believe it’s real but ok cool woo hoo lets get kids paid.
Reported. Too reasonable a take.

you’re over valuing Miamis brand. Yes it’s all we have, but it’s not elite. miamis brand is severely tarnished, but Miami fans insist it’s just because the world hates us, when in reality that’s really the general opinion of a school on a 15 year run of mediocrity.

Lmao

That's when the IRS should enter the picture. Bumblefuk BBQ claiming it cleared $80k in profits last year shouldn't be liquid enough to be making those payouts to Baga players.
Should being the operative word. The same way the NCAA "should" be enforcing players getting paid at bag schools. Initially I thought this would help miami a ton but then as i began to mull it over I realized that we should fear the big tech/social media companies. I fear they will favor the athletes at the winning schools with huge fan bases, ie bama, osu, clemson etc. More fans equals more engagements and thus more money for those companies.

Advertisement
Back