Does college athletes getting paid, help, hurt, or nothing changes for Miami.

Advertisement
In my opinion there is far too much certainty on all sides with this issue. We simply cannot say what the effect of this will be long term, and anyone who is definitively saying it’s X or Y is speaking more from their biases than future-proofed knowledge.

The NCAA abdicated their role in helping tailor this new era, to the degree they literally didn’t pass a measure until the night before the new rules go into effect. It’s unfathomable how badly they handled this, akin to using an E Brake to steer down a massive hill and in the last 20’ dropping the brake and popping the clutch in neutral.

NIL (or something like it) could've have been shepherded into place by an organization that embraced its inevitability and therefore created a model of infrastructure to support it. Instead we have a runaway train whose only way of velocity control is the forces the market provides. On the whole I trust the market more than the NCAA, but without any guide rails there are going to be more than a few cars that end up going off the side of the hill.

I am 40% sure it helps Miami and 60% unsure of what that help actually means. I base this on the belief that 1) Miami has legitimate ground to make up in the arms race of player talent, 2) Miami as a market has potential as a revenue source for players, and 3) Miami as an institution recognizes 1 and 2 and has made real planning efforts to capitalize on those opportunities. The unknowns are that I am not an expert on any of this and holy crap what just happened I can’t believe it’s real but ok cool woo hoo lets get kids paid.

perfect post

This will become a boosters wet dream. Boosters can now freely funnel or shall I say wash their loot through these businesses that are paying these kids. They will no longer have to hide bags. The only thing that changes is the rich will get richer.

" meet the new boss...same as the old boss..

Go Canes!!

I don't know why anyone thinks any coach would like this. Just because Dabo said it publicly, that doesn't mean his counterparts aren't thinking the same thing.

Why would a coach like this? I can promise you they would rather just coach them up rather than having to deal with players being distracted wondering where their next deal is coming from.

You think players are impatient now about seeing the field, wait until they see their teammates making some scratch while they ride the pine. They'll bounce, coach from wherever will be in their ear talking money if they come there.

Advertisement
If Miami businesses step up this will only help us.. If a kid can make 50k-100k a year and live in paradise why commit to a hick town for a 150k bag?
To be fair that bag from the $EC is now going to be 250K but I agree with your point of location. Paradise vs Bumblefvck AL

Just wait till Bryce Young gets a 750k endorsement deal from a mom and pop bbq stand in the middle of nowhere alabama
At some point tho more money is going to have to be thrown around. Trust me those boosters will eventually feel it. If anything , this makes it a bit more competitive at least.

The Miami market is one of the larger NCAA population markets so there may be more opportunities

Renown is renown in major markets, be it local or national because of the diversity of the Miami market. The salability/marketability of a local college athlete in this area is probably slightly better to the same as other NCAA stars not from the area. The need will be product driven. But I see no major advantages for being from the Miami area unless the team is winning.

I have no feel for the attractiveness of local athletes here for local promotional opportunities. In Pro Sports here it's still very star and legend driven. I assume there will be more opportunities here than in other areas and I know win-loss records will play a great role with market usage of local athletes.

In football crazy areas of the SEC , marketing opportunities may be a lot smaller for individual athletes. Bags will still be dominant.

Unfortunately for players in these areas, the coach will still always be the main benefactor of local marketing.

BUT with all these changes it's a whole new world, so we're all out here guessing. So we'll see.

STILL, DON'T COUNT OUT THE BAGMEN and $$$BOOSTERS. They aren't going anywhere and will ALWAYS be with us.

you’re over valuing Miamis brand. Yes it’s all we have, but it’s not elite. miamis brand is severely tarnished, but Miami fans insist it’s just because the world hates us, when in reality that’s really the general opinion of a school on a 15 year run of mediocrity.

You're on another planet. Literally every single metric available on merchandise sales, prime-time viewership, etc. is off the charts for Miami, outright, and relative to our enrollment, alumni base, ticketed attendance, etc. You now have American Top Team offering a deal to ALL our scholarship players. That is all 100% brand.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Not sure if anyone already posted this idea, but as much as it helps the individual players, could it hurt the program as a whole overall? Let's say a company has a $100,000 advertising budget that it currently spends as being the "official supermarket of the Miami Hurricanes", but now decides it would rather spend that money on having endorsements from 5 individuals on the team. The 5 players then get the money and that $100,000 the school was using toward coaches' salaries, supplies, etc., is now gone?

Also, IMO the NIL situation will help with getting regional businesses to sign endorsement deals with Canes players. However, I think Miami will be on much the same ground (perhaps even behind somewhat until Miami is on championship level again) as Bama, Clemson, etc with the big national companies who will spend the really big $$$ on player endorsements?

Wouldn't there be a correlation with TV ratings. If you are sponsoring athletes, you want to get paid back with brand awareness.

I would assume the players that have the schools with the best TV ratings will get the most dollars.

Advertisement
Dammit mane... This opens up all kind of doors.

1. I see lawsuits coming
2. Miami/USC/Texas will be back for sure
3. A new league would be put in place and not that CFL/arena bull****
4. HBCU's will join the power 5
5. College basketball is about to change for sure
6. A lot of hick towns about to turn into Detroit

Advertisement
Back