Does college athletes getting paid, help, hurt, or nothing changes for Miami.

Anyone, but preferably someone with good knowledge about college finances and all that good stuff. Seems on the surface it will help, being in Miami a big city, tons of endorsement opportunities. Let’s talk!
They're already getting free pub from ESPN, meaning that they all see the light. If Miami have a solid season they could very well rocket to the top in the minds of recruits.

Advertisement
That it happened within 8 seconds of being legally able to do so DOES bode well for Miami. Not to mention that you left out an addl 3 deals.

my Point is this is our best player and face of the team, a guy that would have few peers in recent Miami history, and this is what he has gotten. You think recruits are salivating to come to Miami so that maybe in 4-5 years if they’re the best player on the team, they might represent these 4 establishments? This isnt anything that a small college town couldn’t provide either, so I’m merely putting it in perspective compared to what other schools could provide and when fans expect Nike to come knocking on every 5 stars door. Kids can get paid here but its not a Competitive advantage that differentiates us, like many on here predict.

In my opinion there is far too much certainty on all sides with this issue. We simply cannot say what the effect of this will be long term, and anyone who is definitively saying it’s X or Y is speaking more from their biases than future-proofed knowledge.

The NCAA abdicated their role in helping tailor this new era, to the degree they literally didn’t pass a measure until the night before the new rules go into effect. It’s unfathomable how badly they handled this, akin to using an E Brake to steer down a massive hill and in the last 20’ dropping the brake and popping the clutch in neutral.

NIL (or something like it) could've have been shepherded into place by an organization that embraced its inevitability and therefore created a model of infrastructure to support it. Instead we have a runaway train whose only way of velocity control is the forces the market provides. On the whole I trust the market more than the NCAA, but without any guide rails there are going to be more than a few cars that end up going off the side of the hill.

I am 40% sure it helps Miami and 60% unsure of what that help actually means. I base this on the belief that 1) Miami has legitimate ground to make up in the arms race of player talent, 2) Miami as a market has potential as a revenue source for players, and 3) Miami as an institution recognizes 1 and 2 and has made real planning efforts to capitalize on those opportunities. The unknowns are that I am not an expert on any of this and holy crap what just happened I can’t believe it’s real but ok cool woo hoo lets get kids paid.
of Course these are opinions or predictions, but they’ve done studies and 60% of the time, opinions are right every time

I worry about our coaches more than anything else, or at least head coach. He can prove a ton to me this year.

While I think this will obviously draw kids to UM, he hasn't shown me the ability to coach them up AND keep them focused JUST with academics, much less adding BLM social justice clubs headed by football coaches and players being entrepreneurs and worrying about endorsement deals and finances.

Strong head coaches will now be at even more of a premium to reign all of that **** in and get the best out of the players week in and week out. JMO.

UM
That’s definitely a great point, and another perspective of understanding

Advertisement
We’ll never be able to match the bag schools, but if we start winning more games there will be more opportunities for our players. It’s the nature of Miami as a front running town

See I have another perspective on that. IMO if you look back to the 80's, we WERE one of the bag schools. I might get heat for that, but come on now. You don't get the reputation we had without having been guilty of some **** lol. Whatever you think Alabama is doing today, as far as steroids and bagging up recruits, I'm pretty sure we were doing all of that and then some back in the day. We played the game, and played it well. I'll die on that hill.

But then what I think happened is after we got nailed for the Pell Grant stuff, Donna came in and put an end to all the whatnot. Put us on the straight and narrow. And our program fell to what it has been, because while we've been playing by the rules, keeping our noses clean, other schools have kept on baggin'.

I say that to say this... now that we're basically able to get back in that game, who's to say we don't dominate again like we did in the 80's? You'll have a hard time selling me that there's more money floating around Tuscaloosa than Miami. But I guess time will tell.

I will say this though - I'd rather be us than them. I think Miami has all the advantages with this NIL.

Can you elaborate why it would hurt in the long run.
Bc schools with a much larger alumni/booster/wealth base will eventually dominate the process. I think we have a 2 or 3 year window to capitalize but after that the SEC and Big 10 will dominate.

I see warehouses filled of T-shirts, memorabilia, and other **** purchased by deep pocket boosters that they promised elite recruits they would purchase. It's basically adding step to bag dropping process.

What stops a booster from telling Shemar if you commit I'll buy 50k shirts from you. You think this won't happen in an exponentially greater degree in SEC country where fb is religion?

It could help is tremendously if you play the game right. Get boosters to pay the top recruits for ‘endorsements’, schools scratch the boosters back - its all kickbacks.

Advertisement
Couple thoughts with everything i'm seeing today

Pandora's box is open now, what will this lead to:
- There's a mad rush with lots of companies looking to jump on......at least right now. Nobody wants to be that guy standing on the sidelines when everyone else is in the game making money. However.....if these companies don't see returns, and i would expect some won't, how quickly does this new and exciting opportunity go away for 80-90% of these athletes, with only the stars being able to cash in? Will that cause a divide within programs and locker rooms?
- How many kids will spend more time trying to create a brand and doing appearances to earn money than they do working out and getting better? Will it lead to more kids opting out, protecting their "brand" and prepping for the next level?
- Will kids or their families lose by opening themselves up to scrutiny from the Fed with tax audits and such? Pro athletes have money managers but that's expensive. I could see many of these kids going alone without a ton of guidance.

We're about to see 800 new clothing lines, logos, LLCs, etc come about. While making money on your likeness is one thing, i think we are about to see some absolute shady distribution of money by boosters. I also think many kids will overvalue themselves in this environment the same way many are in the portal, with little returns. The stars will get theirs.

I think its just to early to tell whats gonna happen.

Bags will still be dropped imo...and you don't have to give uncle sam a piece of that...

I think it helps, but only time will tell. Sec and Clemson are the dirtiest players in the game and if there’s a weakness to exploit, they will exploit it.

I feel that in 5 years the only players getting paid a decent amount will be the stars (best players per position in NCAA/1-3 per team max) and the SEC teams. Just don't see the ROI on backups and roleplayers like Cleveland Reed being worth it for companies. SEC, Texas, Oregon, Oklahoma boosters on the other hand will do what it takes until you prove you suck year 3 or 4

Advertisement
only way these kids are going to make real money is off sponsored post from there social platforms. Making a t shirt with your logo and a picture of yourself on it won’t be bringing in the money that you think it will. I don’t know the rules of all this but can they players partner with the schools and put there name and number on the jersey and get a piece of each one sold? It’s probably going to be messy cause each state playing by separate rules eventually D.C will get involved and make a national rule. At least the kids can try and make some money off themselves though.

I will say that no other city (except probably Atlanta or Vegas) has an establishment like KOD. That'll be the day when one of our players is on a billboard off I-95 holding up wads of cash with strippers in the background promoting 2 for 1 lap dances. We should definitely use this to our advantage.

Not that it matters but this is how I see it... Would help baseball more, but I think what you'll see is boosters buying 1000 signed footballs for freshman and kids leaving because their brand has faded out or needs a kick in the right direction. But as far as advantages to Miami it would be that local ad revenue would be much higher in large markets. So Miami vs Tuscaloosa. I would guess Miami has more local stations more local radio more car dealerships more more more… which means more ops. I also think it could drive parity as well because why do you want to be 5 star stud riding the bench at Alabama? Your brand would be competing within the same market as the starters are. This brand thing will only work for 4 years so you got to get while you can. It may keep kids in school longer as well. Larger markets in theory should be more capable of sustaining more star's brands. I think one of the most interesting things will analyzing the booster dollars vs large market dollars. For me that's really the unknown which will determine whether larger markets benefits can outweigh the benefits provided by larger booster bases.

Advertisement
Bc schools with a much larger alumni/booster/wealth base will eventually dominate the process. I think we have a 2 or 3 year window to capitalize but after that the SEC and Big 10 will dominate.

I see warehouses filled of T-shirts, memorabilia, and other **** purchased by deep pocket boosters that they promised elite recruits they would purchase. It's basically adding step to bag dropping process.

What stops a booster from telling Shemar if you commit I'll buy 50k shirts from you. You think this won't happen in an exponentially greater degree in SEC country where fb is religion?
Great points

They need to think about some rules to keep things even. My biggest fear is 5 or 6 NFL teams in college.

Where Miami's advantage should/hopefully come through is that it should help us to keep the South Florida talent home. These kids' marketability is far greater closer to home where they've grown up and people already know them. That's the message our coaching staff should be pushing. Not only is Miami a huge market, but you are already a known commodity in your own city. Both of those things significantly enhance your NIL marketability. Maybe that helps us keep kids like Brandon Innis home.

Advertisement
Back