Does anybody think the offense will be better with Homer?

I'm most interested (concerned?) to know how ready Homer is to carry the load mentally.

He's shown me he can get it done with the ball in his hands. He's fast and physical, looks really good. No concern there for me because I've seen what he can do.

What I don't know is, does he know the playbook as much as a starter needs to? And does he understand his blocking responsibilities?

I'm not saying he doesn't have the mental aspect down, I'm saying I just don't know. He can scoot, and I feel good about giving him a bunch of touches. I just hope he's got Rosier's blind side, picks up blitzes, and runs the right routes... especially on critical plays and during crunch time. Can't afford to miss a beat there.

Advertisement
I think for some reason the running game might be a lil better, but **** we're going to miss Walton

I certainly didn't like the slow motion hand offs to Walton. Took way too much time, unless there was a huge hole the D was all over him.

This, it's plays against waltons strength imo. You can't call slow developing run plays with a patient runner like walton.

If Homer can develop patience he will be just as good if not better than Walton. Same speed but Walton got bounced around alot. Homer falling forward for the extra yard everytime.

Crazy as ****.

You guys are gonna learn to stop talking Walton for granted one day. (probably this week)

That dude is really freakin' good.

Walton displayed such improved vision from last year. For me he was confirming the preseason hype around him.

Homer so far has displayed zero vision. If there isn't a big hole there for him to burst out of with his top end speed he's struggled.

Walton was a huge loss.

I think for some reason the running game might be a lil better, but **** we're going to miss Walton

Yes I think the run game will be better. Honestly I like Travis Homer better because of his running style. I’m not saying Mark Walton sucks or anything because I appreciate his body of work. I just believe Homer is gonna be more effective since he hits the holes with speed and power while Walton IMO looks to bounce outside more often which doesn’t bode well against better defenses.

I'm going to say this knowing full well that it's highly unpopular. There is a reason Walton puts up good numbers vs. sub-par opponents and sub-par numbers vs. good opponents, and it isn't all on the O-line. Some of it is his reluctance to hit the hole HARD. I love his stutter step and cutback vision, but sometimes, damnit, I just need you to lower your head and get us two or three instead of hoping around in the backfield because there's not a huge cutback lane open. I love Walton. Homer's not going to make those average plays look great or rip of 17 yards on a cutback, but I believe he can consistently get us 4 or 5 yards even when there's not a huge hole, and he will house the **** thing if there is a huge hole.

Consider me optimistic.

Advertisement
I agree. Love Walton too but you’re absolutely right. Sometimes u need to just lower those pads and plow forward for 3-4 yards. Homer is that type of runner. They have different styles of running but I just have a feeling that with Homer carrying the ball we will find ourselves in a lot more manageable 2nd&3rd down situations

I certainly didn't like the slow motion hand offs to Walton. Took way too much time, unless there was a huge hole the D was all over him.

This, it's plays against waltons strength imo. You can't call slow developing run plays with a patient runner like walton.

If Homer can develop patience he will be just as good if not better than Walton. Same speed but Walton got bounced around alot. Homer falling forward for the extra yard everytime.

Crazy as ****.

You guys are gonna learn to stop talking Walton for granted one day. (probably this week)

A healthy homer is better than a hobbled walton. But yeah I agree I spent a lot of time defending walton and he will be missed for sure. But we got to move on

ppl calling on homer's blocking, did you watch the FSU game? He was on the field for all 3 tds, he only blew 1 block, on an all out blitz so everyone couldn't be picked up anyway.

Said this in pete's The Work thread yesterday..

"Losing Walton is going to hurt, but I think it could be a positive for our offensive play calling. I'm hoping richt will have to become more creative since he can't just give it to Walton a ton and see what he does."

I really think it could be good because now Richt won't lean on having walton back there.

Advertisement

Crazy as ****.

I believe the old quote is "the backup quarterback is the most popular guy in town."

Crazy as ****.

I'm not taking Walton for granted at all, just pointing out the slow developing run plays are suspect for his skillset. Sucks he always has to jump cut people in the backfield because the Dline is always being spotted 3 seconds.

You guys underselling Walton as if we wasn't better than Homer this year and last year while they were on the same team lol . Plus Walton was way ahead of him at at their freshman stages

Advertisement

I like Walton but I like Homer more. Homer does not dance around. He hits the hole 100 Mph, he is very quick, faster than Walton and he is mean as **** on the field. My concerns are not with the offense but rather with the defense. It's obvious that there are major concerns/problems there.

One of the issues will be who picks up the slack on special teams? Homer is a beast on ST and so was Walton.

Advertisement
In the fact that it will FORCE Mark Richt to be more creative and center the offense around the qb? Yes. We will become less predictive because of it

Ahem, play calling wasn’t bad at all tbh for most of the game. Only when we’re in the end zone and early on the 3rd downs

Advertisement
Back