Do we really want our QBs Hit?

Advertisement
They're going to get hit in games. Better to find out now how they react instead of the first play against FSU.

Yep unless you have a guy you know is the starter let the bullets fly and see who plays the best

Advertisement
Yes. Some kids thrive under pressure, some kids fold. We need to see who is who.

Kyle Wright, Robert Marve and Brad Kaaya all performed significantly worse in live ball when pressured. I remember when Jacory just stayed on the ground after a Va Tech sack, like he wasn't able to handle the pounding any more. Meanwhile, we hit Winston and Francois with everything we had, and they shook it off to win the game (with a lot of help from D Cook).

Yes. Some kids thrive under pressure, some kids fold. We need to see who is who.

Kyle Wright, Robert Marve and Brad Kaaya all performed significantly worse in live ball when pressured. I remember when Jacory just stayed on the ground after a Va Tech sack, like he wasn't able to handle the pounding any more. Meanwhile, we hit Winston and Francois with everything we had, and they shook it off to win the game (with a lot of help from D Cook).

Jesu Christo, I'm the last guy to give the Tally clowns any credit but if Kaaya had shown a percentage of the toughness and ability to rebound and perform that effing Francois showed that game then his current draft stock would be astronomically higher. We smacked the **** out of that kid that day. Thought for sure we were gonna knock his *** out of the game.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Unless a QB has shown he can do what's necessary (climb, shuffle, slide) in the pocket, I'd make it live. Someone like Francois up there probably doesn't need it at this point. NFL QBs can't because of the cost-benefit swinging in the other direction. Kaaya could have come back this year and still needed it and potentially become a better player for it.

yes there is no better way to judge a QB, then to see how he deals with pressure. Lots of QBs can go throw in a glorified 7 on 7 scrimmage but we our defense line is coming at you, we will see what your made of. if you have 1 QB that is head and shoulders above the rest this is hard to do. Because if you lose your (Dorsey, Kosar, Kelly, etc..) in practice you will hurt your team. But at this point a loss of a 1 QB does not effect our team as much.

Jesu Christo, I'm the last guy to give the Tally clowns any credit but it Kaaya had shown a percentage of the toughness and ability to rebound and perform that effing Francois showed that game then his current draft stock would be astronomically higher. We smacked the **** out of that kid that day. Thought for sure we were gonna knock his *** out of the game.

Well, we did for a couple drives and got a pick out of the other clown whose name I can't remember at the moment. But yeah agreed all the same, because I thought he was going to be out the rest of the game. Gotta give the kid credit, he's a tough MFer.

Advertisement
Yes. Unless you have sure fire heisman winner, or has shown the ability to finesse the pocket like Lu said. No problem with them being live. Definitely would've helped Kaaya.

We use to do it years ago. I remember Kennard Lang lowering the boom on a QB in spring scrimmage in the Orange Bowl.
Leveled him and it was a QB competing for the starting job.

I hate to say it but Francois is one of the toughest QB's i've ever seen. That kid took so many knockout shots and kept getting up.

Advertisement
There is a reason coaches don't allow full hits on quarterbacks in scrimmages. If Richt feels it is a necessary evil in this case, so be it, but I think this will be a rare exception to the rule.

There is a reason coaches don't allow full hits on quarterbacks in scrimmages. If Richt feels it is a necessary evil in this case, so be it, but I think this will be a rare exception to the rule.

I think coaches get caught up in "what's always been done" far too much and not in what's actually the best idea. Static stretching before a game comes to mind, as does "walk through Thursdays" which most are finally getting rid of, power lifting instead of athletic lifting, etc. Not taking a daily beating? Sure. But in a scrimmage when you're 18-23 and God only knows what someone is getting from you? Let them be hit.

Advertisement
Back