Do we have enough talent to win the Coastal?

grover

Senior
Premium
Some teams can get away with winning as a unit with great play calling, but Miami has always been about talent. When we were great, we pumped out multiple first and second rounders ever year. None of us are expecting to get to the playoffs any time soon, much less in 2022, so the threshold is thankfully lower. But is it fair to say we need all 22 starters to be capable of making 3rd Team All-Conference, and at least 3-4 who should battle for the 1st-Team All ACC?

If so, here are my three requests to the board:
1. Name 4 guys you expect to get 1st Team All ACC votes
2. Name the positions where you don't we have anyone capable of making 3rd Team All ACC
3. Given your answers to 1 and 2, justify why we should win the Coastal, or not

Advertisement
Not sure if the All-ACC team should be the metric used to determine if Miami has more talent or not than other Coastal or ACC teams. The All-ACC team selections have always been somewhat of a head scratcher in terms of who is in or not.

Not saying there is an anti-Miami bias with the teams but some very talented Miami guys have been left off or been under-represented.

Miami is more talented than the other Coastal teams. Not a perfect roster but definitely talented in Key spots like QB.

Advertisement
HC Super Mario needs time.

Unknown, at this time, if the 2022 roster can win the ACCCD without significant luck/help.

OL and LB remain glaring deficiencies. The incoming class* could help, but we need to be realistic.

First two games will be some indication, third game more still (even with likely loss at this moment).

*including portal

Some teams can get away with winning as a unit with great play calling, but Miami has always been about talent. When we were great, we pumped out multiple first and second rounders ever year. None of us are expecting to get to the playoffs any time soon, much less in 2022, so the threshold is thankfully lower. But is it fair to say we need all 22 starters to be capable of making 3rd Team All-Conference, and at least 3-4 who should battle for the 1st-Team All ACC?

2. Name the positions where you don't we have anyone capable of making 3rd Team All ACC
E30E7881-8F6B-48C5-9787-227771077590.gif

Absolutely we have the talent, particularly if we pick up a LB, CB, OL and DE in the portal. Biggest obstacle, besides ourselves, is implementing a new culture and schemes

Yes. Our main nemeses, NC loses their QB and a lot of their defense. Pitt loses their QB and a good amount on both sides of the ball. It's not a lock, but I'd say we will be favored to win the Coastal. Looking to the ACC, Clemson was young last year and should be Clemson again this year. In 2 years we will overtake them. If TVD stays a 3rd year, we in the Natty conversation.

Advertisement

Yes
1. TVD, the #1 running back, Mallory, and Rique
2. Linebacker
3. TVD

Advertisement
1. First team ACC caliber guys: Tyrique, TVD, Zion, Arroyo (if he starts).
2. Guard & linebacker right now are positions I'm not confident enough in to say we have ACC 3rd team unless guys step up
3. I think TVD's natural progression as a qb and the coastal being very Mid overall gives us a chance to win the coastal

No, a 55% blue chip ratio is insufficient for coastal success

Normally I would agree with your implication that we have the talent. But Mark Pope and Kai-Leon Herbert proce we have been underwhelming in our evals for a minute. Even highly recruited guys that performed well for us at times like Silvera and Hall never delivered on their promise.

I'm not looking to create controversy here, I just am asking an objective eval of the team's talent relative to our competition. I personally worry about our MLB, OL, CB and interior rush at DT the most. Don't see any All-ACC types at any of these positions yet. Maybe Stevenson, Zion and Rivers. Taylor seems a full year plus away but maybe.

Advertisement
Yes. Pitt proves you can win with a good defense and good QB.

We have a great QB and probably an above average defense. Luckily, we should have an OL that can run block next year and can ball control teams once we get 2 TDs up on em.

Normally I would agree with your implication that we have the talent. But Mark Pope and Kai-Leon Herbert proce we have been underwhelming in our evals for a minute. Even highly recruited guys that performed well for us at times like Silvera and Hall never delivered on their promise.

I'm not looking to create controversy here, I just am asking an objective eval of the team's talent relative to our competition. I personally worry about our MLB, OL, CB and interior rush at DT the most. Don't see any All-ACC types at any of these positions yet. Maybe Stevenson, Zion and Rivers. Taylor seems a full year plus away but maybe.
We agree. Our problem isn't overall talent on paper, but there are glaring issues in matchup areas. Notably, our OL has won a handful of matchups in the last six years. That's gotta change, big time.

We aren't scaring anyone's offense at LB either. Outside of Stevenson, CB is a crap shoot (though I'm very high on Graves, as stated many times).

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back