Do we have enough talent to win the Coastal?

Advertisement
It’s the best QB in the league paired with a top 2 WR/RB/TE group. The OL will have a drafted player next year. They can be average and we should still light it up.

On defense, we have 3 gaping holes, but solid enough everywhere else. If we can fill 1-2 of those holes via Portal, the rest is coaching.

1. Name 4 guys you expect to get 1st Team All ACC votes
TVD, Zion, LT, Tyrique (if it plays out this way then I think we're in playoff contention not gonna lie)

2. Name the positions where you don't we have anyone capable of making 3rd Team All ACC
LB is the obvious one. But I'll throw another out...WR. I think this will be a year where RBs and TEs shine and WRs share the load.

3. Given your answers to 1 and 2, justify why we should win the Coastal, or not
Best coaching staff in ACC + 2nd most talented team = We should confidently win ACC.

Advertisement
We beat the team that won the whole conference. At their place. With their first round draft pic at quarterback. We were good enough to win it last year, but we shvt the bed against some horrible teams.

So yes.

Some teams can get away with winning as a unit with great play calling, but Miami has always been about talent. When we were great, we pumped out multiple first and second rounders ever year. None of us are expecting to get to the playoffs any time soon, much less in 2022, so the threshold is thankfully lower. But is it fair to say we need all 22 starters to be capable of making 3rd Team All-Conference, and at least 3-4 who should battle for the 1st-Team All ACC?

If so, here are my three requests to the board:
2. Name the positions where you don't we have anyone capable of making 3rd Team All ACC
1. Van Dyke
2. Stevenson
3. Nelson
4. A WR that steps up (probably Smith)
5. Scaife (2nd team all ACC 2021)
6. Hedley
7. J. Williams
8. Borregales

I think each of these will most likely get some first team votes.

I don’t think we have anyone at DL or LB that will get any votes for 3rd team All ACC. I don’t think we will at RB either but that’s because we will spread out the carries.

We have the most talent on paper in the Coastal. Everyone but UVA and GT are breaking in a new QB. Home games against UNC, FSU & Pitt.

We should win the Coastal. Growing pains with a new staff, player turnover because it’s not Manny’s county club anymore, or injuries would be some reasons we don’t win.

My biggest concern is Mario does tend to lose a game he shouldn’t. If that happens this year to say, UVA and then we lose at Clemson we would lose a 6-2 tiebreaker with UVA and that keep us out of Charlotte. Or if there was a 3 way tie at 6-2 we could be left out.

Yes. Our main nemeses, NC loses their QB and a lot of their defense. Pitt loses their QB and a good amount on both sides of the ball. It's not a lock, but I'd say we will be favored to win the Coastal. Looking to the ACC, Clemson was young last year and should be Clemson again this year. In 2 years we will overtake them. If TVD stays a 3rd year, we in the Natty conversation.
Outside of Pickett, Pitt returns basically their entire roster. But they have Slovis coming in and he’s solid. It’s good we get them at home.

Advertisement
My understanding is that Clemson reloaded big time and is going to be quite the favorite, even with Venables gone to the Great Plains.

Outside of Pickett, Pitt returns basically their entire roster. But they have Slovis coming in and he’s solid. It’s good we get them at home.
I looked at their initial depth chart f(could not locate a more recent one) from last year and the first teams looked like alot of seniors to me

Advertisement
Some teams can get away with winning as a unit with great play calling, but Miami has always been about talent. When we were great, we pumped out multiple first and second rounders ever year. None of us are expecting to get to the playoffs any time soon, much less in 2022, so the threshold is thankfully lower. But is it fair to say we need all 22 starters to be capable of making 3rd Team All-Conference, and at least 3-4 who should battle for the 1st-Team All ACC?

We beat the ACC champion last season.

The Athletic just released a post-NSD Top 25. We were not ranked.

4. A&M
6. Clemson
11. Pitt

Plus UNC has equal talent to us. So can we win? Yes. But Pitt will be the favorite and having @Clemson as our 2nd crossover makes it much more difficult.

I looked at their initial depth chart f(could not locate a more recent one) from last year and the first teams looked like alot of seniors to me

With the extra Covid year, "senior" doesn't mean much. Pitt returns 9 starters on O and 8 on D, plus adds 3 plug in transfer starters.

Advertisement

We've had 1st round Draft picks not break into that coveted All ACC first team - that's an unreasonably high bar. Only the best non-Canes get chosen for that squad.

Not winning the Coastal this year would be a MASSIVE disappointment.

Clemson will still be a tough out for the ACC , but I fully expect to be in the ACCCG next year.
I agree , I really believe we win the ACCG this year.
We can run an gun with the ANYONE if we need 55 points 400 passing and 220 rushing to win so be it.

Our mindset is we ready to play , won’t you play with us .

After ACCG then it’s a battle of Heisman hopefuls for rings then .

2023 We are just plain nasty good

GOCANES

Yes. It’s all a bout desire to come together as a team with the hunger and desire to get it done. A championship attitude with a refuse to lose mind set. I know Mario will instill the whole package.

talent is there, however we need some portal help for LB's,CB's and OL's, if we somehow sign J.Connerely 5* maybe he plays right away.
but Mario knows you have to stack talent year after year to be great and he will.
will be interesting to see how OL looks after the new S&C guy with SEC experience shapes that group up to start getting a push upfront

Advertisement
Back