Do we have enough talent to win the Coastal?

Advertisement
Some teams can get away with winning as a unit with great play calling, but Miami has always been about talent. When we were great, we pumped out multiple first and second rounders ever year. None of us are expecting to get to the playoffs any time soon, much less in 2022, so the threshold is thankfully lower. But is it fair to say we need all 22 starters to be capable of making 3rd Team All-Conference, and at least 3-4 who should battle for the 1st-Team All ACC?

If so, here are my three requests to the board:
1. Name 4 guys you expect to get 1st Team All ACC votes
2. Name the positions where you don't we have anyone capable of making 3rd Team All ACC
3. Given your answers to 1 and 2, justify why we should win the Coastal, or not
Yes. We have a professional staff coming together nicely.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Pitt only had 2 on the 1st team and 9 non kickers overall between the 3 teams but Miami only can win the Coastal if they have all 22 on at least the 3rd team? Makes 100% sense.

First and foremost, a great QB can make up for a lack of talent in areas. Pickett was the best QB in the ACC last year and that is what propelled them to win the ACC. TVD is probably the best QB going into next season.

Advertisement
HC Super Mario needs time.

Unknown, at this time, if the 2022 roster can win the ACCCD without significant luck/help.

OL and LB remain glaring deficiencies. The incoming class* could help, but we need to be realistic.

First two games will be some indication, third game more still (even with likely loss at this moment).

*including portal

I would love to see coach pickup 2 linebackers and a corner

Advertisement
Hardest ACC games:

@ Clemson — most talented roster in the league, and we have to play them on the road

Pitt — veteran squad that’s coming off a great year. Replace Pickett with Slovis, who is solid.

UNC — lose Howell, but have stacked some great recruiting classes. They are talented.

FSU — Rivalry game. Always a challenge.

Go 3-1 in those games and you’re sitting pretty, as long as you don’t drop a game to UVA, VT, or GT.

If we get 5 more plug and play transfers. 2 OL, DL, LB and CB. Move J. Williams and others step up:
Brinson
George
Campbell
Walker
Chaney
Roberts
Chantz
Ishmael
Davis
Taylor
Brooks
Chase
Johnson
Balom
Curtis
Their are others that could be listed.

Main area of concern is OL, we need to beef up with quality big boys ups front. Getting an OT like Conerly would be huge to go with Sag and Cooper. Keep stacking up front and watch our run game become a force. Not just being explosive, but ball control when we have to. We definitely see a huge coaching improvement across the board next year, but 2 to 3 years away from being an elite team from top to bottom. Mario's not going anywhere and the Columbus Mafia going to inflict some pain.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I believe Mario will have a respectable OL next year. The OL this year dramatically improved into a Dan Marino type (older guys will know this reference).
At LB, I think Mario not getting one in the portal says a lot. I think he might have some really good talent to work with. Obviously nothing currently in the portal is a better option. Besides, a good DL makes better LBs. i don’t think we had a good DL (as a whole) last year.

Advertisement
Back