Do people really think Dawson called a bad game?

I thought Dawson called a horrific game. He was running the ball at the end of game when we should have been taking a knee. What the heck ? His play calling was below average and in the first half we were running the ball and he insisted throwing. I gave him an F for FAILURE to win the game.

Advertisement
I gotta watch the game in detail though I don’t want to. I know there was a lot of underneath stuff opened. I think TVD also leaves a lot of yards on the field by not using his legs. Too afraid to get hit and you know how that ends up when you’re scared to play at any level.
Strongly agree on what u said about TVD, he plays to scared. Needs more grit.

GT played a very smart game and imo Dawson was a little shaken, but he called it well enough to beat the turnovers AND the officiating and the game was won. Then the staff gave it away.
Not much else you can say at this point.

Now I’ll definitely blame him for not kneeling. And they for sure didn’t look as crisp as before, but we **** near had 500 yards still and multiple drives in the red zone that we came of up with nothiig

If it wasn’t for the bull**** hold and TVD shrinking up, that’s a multi score game and the last drive doesn’t even matter.
Don’t like that he doesn’t run tempo at all

He called a pretty solid game.

The int's thrown....there were guys open....some was on tvd but the last one was jacolby george on choice route. But his passing concepts had guys open and TVD aint hit on those throws.

Only thing i aint like is us going double tight and tighten the formation to just run dive.....seemed we were getting what we want with them spread out and running it.

The unmitigated disaster was no victory formation, but then again we havent done it all year and thats on the HC more so.
TVD is still struggling against zone coverage

Advertisement
End of game yes. Terrible play calling. Should have called take a knee. We win. Plays were there to be made. 2 of the int tvd locked onto 1 receiver and never looked off. He had the tes open underneath. Those underneath routes would have kept the chains moving
TVD forcing it into his 1-read…. Is that a Dawson play-calling flaw?

We could have ran the ball as we were averaging 6ypc and TVD took the underneath stuff as guys were being schemed open. On a night that weather conditions weren't great and the universe seemed to not want us to win but we did everything else to win...you do your job as coaches and coordinators, get the W and GTEFOOT and focus for North Carolina
Weather conditions? If you were at the stadium it rained for about 2 minutes of the 60 minute game.

Advertisement
TVD is one of the worst QBs we’ve ever had. Because he is so talented but he shrinks in the brightest lights. Should have trotted out JB and just run the option.
Wow. Really some idiotic comments on this site.

I like Dawson but last night seemed to be the famous “grab bag” offense we’ve been so used to seeing here.

TVD forcing it into his 1-read…. Is that a Dawson play-calling flaw?
I do feel like Dawson was handcuffed by TVD obviously struggling. However, there needed to be more creativity in the run game. No outside runs that I can think of. It was all up the middle.

I think the quick switch in GT's defensive coordinator 5 days prior at least threw TVD for a loop in what he was seeing/expecting out there.

Advertisement
He called a pretty solid game.

The int's thrown....there were guys open....some was on tvd but the last one was jacolby george on choice route. But his passing concepts had guys open and TVD aint hit on those throws.

Only thing i aint like is us going double tight and tighten the formation to just run dive.....seemed we were getting what we want with them spread out and running it.

The unmitigated disaster was no victory formation, but then again we havent done it all year and thats on the HC more so.
Yes, I was good with pounding the rock, but why not mix up the formations? Spreading them out was giving rbs lanes to run through because they were playing To not let anything past them.

If we had done more of that, I think that would have made them play more honest on defense. That middle post was open all night long. But TVD was locking onto his first read, which were mostly choice routes and you can tell TVD was not comfortable with coming off that read to anything else. He was guessing what the wr would do instead of reading the defense.

Weather conditions? If you were at the stadium it rained for about 2 minutes of the 60 minute game.
I definitely never made an excuse out of it but thanks for taking just that out of what was said

We running 2 TE sets with McCormick often out wide, not split, but the widest man. All the "self scouting" really looks like Marios fingerprints on the offensive game plan. Fixing **** that isn't broken.

Lots of hamstringing the playbook. Looks like it was planned like we were going against an FCS team trying not to show anything on film. Mario does this often. That offensive game plan is on Mario.

Somehow the offense was still good enough to win the game.

**** Mario and **** anyone who tries to shift blame anywhere else. Mario makes 8 million a year. I've got no sympathy.

The BOLDED was 1 thing that was glaring. DUDE was running routes all night....slow az sh*t with corners not even out of a back pedaal as a threat...its part of the reason for 1 of the picks because the cb didnt respect it at all and sank in cover 2 for a pick.

It was 100 percent them not wanting to show stuff for the rest of the acc....you can just tell with the run game...we didnt run 1 thing off tackle...which is 100 percent stupid as TECH has 2 dt's that are 6'5 320+.....seriously go check...they cant stop the run...but they are big.

Advertisement
The O was far too predictable last night. The passing game is far too dependent on one WR (who is a total gamer & dependable) but you can’t keep going back to the same well over & over & expect good results. Too many good coaches in the ACC to do that. They will make it a priority to take that security blanket away & then what do you have?

The run game was also far too predictable (similar in ways to Lashlee’s unimaginative run game approach).

We had a great chance to go 5-0 for the first time since ‘17. Mo for the program was building. Recruiting mo was really starting to build & this was a major showcase opp in front of a horde of blue chip recruits (especially top flight WRs). We have some real burners on O who didn’t even see the field or got very limited snaps. “Empty the clip” in a game like this & do everything you can to put pressure on the opponent & produce a dazzling show. Win or lose those top recruits would have seen a fun offense that they could identify with & elevate even further. What we saw was instead uncharacteristically dull from the OC. Yes, TVD was off last night & Dawson likely adjusted his calls quite a bit because of that but how about some diversity in the run game & some creative play calling? It was the same couple of run plays up the middle over & over. How about mixing in some different blocking schemes? Where was CJ? He should have had 5-6 touches. He’s electric & could have caused GT fits. A reverse to Harrell. A couple deep shots to Harrell (even if it’s just to loosen up their D)? As TVD was way off, why not have JB or Emory in for a couple of series to let TVD settle down & give the opponent something different to contend with. JB was effective last yr as a runner against GT & that would have been a low risk way to give TVD a chance to regain his composure while potentially scoring some points as well. Why not target the TEs more?

This O could be very hard to stop, if we have more diversity and use the TEs & our fastest players more. There are easy ways to literally put the ball in the hands of our fastest players & let them run (or dump the ball off to them in space when the opponent is blitzing). We didn’t really see any of that. So, we didn’t pressure the opponent & keep them off balance the way we could have.

The TEs as a group can be a major weapon for us. Badly need Arroyo back. The coaches think he’s the best athlete on the team. He’s shown (albeit in a fairly limited sample size) that’s he a really dependable & fluid pass catcher that gets open, catches the ball consistently & gets really good YACs. If he gets back healthy & gets heavily integrated into the offense, it would take a lot of the focus off X. We can’t be a one trick pony or the INTs are really going to pile up as the quality of the opponents ratchets up (even if TVD is on). Got to have some diversity in the passing game. Skinner needs to get out of the doghouse & step up. Another freak athlete that presents mismatch nightmares. Badly need him to step up & be a consistent threat. Cam & Riley Williams should also be targeted more. They are big targets that can use their frames to shield the ball & they have big catch radiuses (helpful anytime but especially when the QB is having an off night). The WRs (especially Jacolby) had really stepped up early in the season (and honestly far exceeded my expectations so far this season). Was great to see. In the GT game, two of them didn’t really show up. This is where the TEs can play such a key role in providing some consistency & diversity (especially Arroyo with his fluid & dependable pass catching…plus he averages WR-like yds per catch).

Big fan of Dawson overall but last night was by far his worst game of the season as a play caller (even though part of that was clearly due to TVD having a really off night).

The BOLDED was 1 thing that was glaring. DUDE was running routes all night....slow az sh*t with corners not even out of a back pedaal as a threat...its part of the reason for 1 of the picks because the cb didnt respect it at all and sank in cover 2 for a pick.

It was 100 percent them not wanting to show stuff for the rest of the acc....you can just tell with the run game...we didnt run 1 thing off tackle...which is 100 percent stupid as TECH has 2 dt's that are 6'5 320+.....seriously go check...they cant stop the run...but they are big.
I think this is why offense does nothing well consistently. Nothing is ever carried over from one game to the next. You run to the perimeter good one game then abandon it the next game. Take the underneath stuff one game then force whats not there the next game.

The conditions weren't great at times. Wet field and wet football. Wasn't overly thrilled with the game plan but none of that matter with the unspeakable decision on the final play. Would have been cool to see van dyke just say F it and when he took the snap just kneel right there

Advertisement
Back