Do not try to tell me that Miami is a rebuild...

I don’t see this scenario without a CATASTROPHIC run of injuries.

Otherwise it WILL NOT HAPPEN.

Last time we hired a competent football coach with a good quarterback and defensive talent everyone shytted on, we won nine games his first season.

We have better coaches and quarterback than when Richt took over. Some say less than 10 wins is a failure. I agree to an exten, but understand hiccups can,and probably will, happen.

Regardless, I never judge the team by wins and losses. You can play well and lose or poorly and win. I judge by fundamentals and sensible strategy. AI am patient with any coach as long as I see these things.
That’s kind of my point. Yes we should win 10+ games on paper, but there’s a reason you actually play. And saying X wins is the floor ignores what you said about success not being strictly about wins. I just think there’s a scenario where we only win 8, but we’re seeing improvement on the field and great recruiting and so we can call it a success.

Advertisement
Well, I’m surely not going to say from a dead last in tackling standpoint that they are not a rebuild of sorts.

I love the buy in by the players, but bad habits and attitudes from the BFF head coach likely are not going to just go away in a single off season.

UM

We now have the best coaching staff in the Conference and one of the best in the nation.
We beat Pitt head-to-head at their place without that coaching.

Just because Pitt has good coaching does not mean our chances are slim. That is not logical.
Having good coaches is not the same as having good coaches for multiple seasons.

Advertisement
I like TVD as much as the next guy but it's fair to say his play has been inconsistent. It's just too early to say any of that. Either way, agree there's lots of raw material to work with in the QB room.
Are you trolling? Please say yes because if you are not trolling then the only logical conclusion I can draw from your statements on TVD is that you are operating with a huge cognitive deficit or worse. Your comment about TVD's play being inconsistent is literally the most idiotic thing that I've ever read on this board and that is saying something. It may be the stupidest sports related take that I have ever read.

Ppl do realize we’ve been stuck in mediocrity since literally 2005, right?

We’ve had the most talent in The Coastal since 2004, and that’s gotten us exactly 1 Coastal title in 17 yrs. Lol. I’m not sure the avg. fan realize this, but it takes much more than just talent to win. I can tell u there’s a lot of talented guys out there that’s not sniffing the NBA or NFL b/c they weren’t winners. That’s a totally different mindset, folks.

This program has been operating as a mom & pops outfit for almost 2 decades, yet we’re putting the pressure on Mario to undue almost 2 decades worth of bull chit in less than a yr? Lol. C’mon; let’s be reasonable. The facts show even the greats, like the all time greats need at least 2 yrs to overhaul bad habits, let alone 9 months. Lol.

Richt took 2 yrs (twice)
Saban took 2 yrs (twice)
Smart took 2 yrs
JJ took 2 yrs (this coming off a Nat’l Title)
Carroll took 2 yrs
Aranda took 2 yrs
Fickell took 2 yrs
Bowden took 2 yrs
Dabo took 3 yrs
Meyer took 2 yrs
Cristobal took 2 yrs in Eugene

Etc, etc, etc

The data shows when coaches r taking over chit shows, no matter how great they r, no matter the talent on the roster, to weed out the cancerous plague of mediocrity & complacency, it takes 2 no more than 3 yrs. The coaches that come in & win right off the back winning 10+ games r one’s walking into ideal situations (see Coker, Erickson, Meyer (OSU), Miles)

Again, I would strongly caution to temper expectations, focusing on team improvement, player development, weeding out guys who are not Miami caliber (from a mindset standpoint), & getting this chit back on track for the big payback in the next coming yrs. Jmo based upon history.
Relly… I appreciate you brother. You’re one of the most level-headed logical posters on here. You’re also a halfway decent writer. You’re opinion and insights are a much needed nugget of gold in the streams of homerism and sometimes downright dumb takes. What I’m saying is I like that you keep it real.

It’s hard to blame hardcore fans for wanting/believing the Canes will magically be in the playoffs come Jan ‘23 but they simply don’t realize the process and the intangibles it takes to get to that level.

We’re talking not just resources but culture, work ethic, and vision that stems top down and needs to be present in every part of the team. Like you said the cancerous ones need to be either treated or removed before the proper healing can begin.

All of that to say it takes time. We should definitely be competing in the ACC this year but this expectation of “Mario better win 10 games or he’s garbage” is simply ridiculous.

That’s kind of my point. Yes we should win 10+ games on paper, but there’s a reason you actually play. And saying X wins is the floor ignores what you said about success not being strictly about wins. I just think there’s a scenario where we only win 8, but we’re seeing improvement on the field and great recruiting and so we can call it a success.

I
Agree with this.

I don’t see Mario losing more games than Manny.

11-1 is amazing/miracle.

10-2 if things go well.

9-3 is most realistic

8-4 is growing pains

6-6 is catastrophic injury/ major distraction meltdown.

The first and last are very unlikely. We will most likely finish with 9-10 wins bowl included.

Relly… I appreciate you brother. You’re one of the most level-headed logical posters on here. You’re also a halfway decent writer. You’re opinion and insights are a much needed nugget of gold in the streams of homerism and sometimes downright dumb takes. What I’m saying is I like that you keep it real.

It’s hard to blame hardcore fans for wanting/believing the Canes will magically be in the playoffs come Jan ‘23 but they simply don’t realize the process and the intangibles it takes to get to that level.

We’re talking not just resources but culture, work ethic, and vision that stems top down and needs to be present in every part of the team. Like you said the cancerous ones need to be either treated or removed before the proper healing can begin.

All of that to say it takes time. We should definitely be competing in the ACC this year but this expectation of “Mario better win 10 games or he’s garbage” is simply ridiculous.

Fact is this division is so bad, brother, we might win 8 games & still win the ACC Coastal. Lol. I think year one, we win 9 games including a bowl victory. We carry that momentum over to yr 2, have a top 7 recruiting class, & start a run of competing for the ACC Crown. I will be pleasantly surprised if Mario comes in & win 10+ games yr 1. I’m simply looking for a competent team on the field that semi resembles what Miami football is supposed to look like. That’s all I can ask for w/ the tall order of restoring that U.

Advertisement
Fact is this division is so bad, brother, we might win 8 games & still win the ACC Coastal. Lol. I think year one, we win 9 games including a bowl victory. We carry that momentum over to yr 2, have a top 7 recruiting class, & start a run of competing for the ACC Crown. I will be pleasantly surprised if Mario comes in & win 10+ games yr 1. I’m simply looking for a competent team on the field that semi resembles what Miami football is supposed to look like. That’s all I can ask for w/ the tall order of restoring that U.
If we look competent we win 9-10 games.

What do u envision my brother?
I think we win 10 games . I would be impressed with more and I would be disappointed with less. I think we win 10 regular season games. Lose to Clemson and TAMU. Then lose to Clemson in the ACCCG. If clemson goes to the playoffs I see us losing a NY6 game and if Clemson doesn't go to the playoffs I see us possibly getting an 11th win in a tier 1 bowl game depending on who we play against.

I think there’s a better than average chance we lose to somebody who’s not Clemson or a&m. Obviously we’re better than everybody else, but I feel it’s a big ask to not stumble against at least one scrappy team. Hope I’m wrong about that.

Advertisement
I’d say its for sure a rebuild but most people think of that word as if it means its gonna take 10 years or something. We have been mediocre for way too long to think u just throw money at it and we automatically are great again.

The rebuild for us is luckily an unique situation that wont take too long imo, because we’re in Florida. So talent wont be an issue long term but as of right now…Id say we probably have the best pure talent in the acc besides clemson but i dont think its a huge gape between us and the rest at all, plus we have serious questions in some areas that wont just get fixed in one offseason. So that alone will have us in close games which in the acc we’ve seen how it can go either way any year. And simply enough its a new culture, new schedule, new staff, new schemes, new everything so that will take time.

Ill stick by my earlier prediction with 8-4, but we’ll look like a better team although it will be only a win better. You will see progress in how we play but still will see the **** that has haunted us in this last 15 years, thats just not gonna go away bro the staff is great but they aren’t miracle workers.

Also I just think we’re too mediocre in the trenches to fix in one off season thats no knock on the coaches. Maybe after spring we see a big change in the roster but even then id be iffy about changing my prediction. Yea yea I know Michigan st did it but I don’t think that situation will happen too often

Posting this video, not to glorify Saban or Bama, but to highlight what’s involved in culture. When @SWFLHurricane gave first hand testimonial about the rigors of the battles at home (practice), former players attesting that practice was harder than game time, all of that have to be re-established. It’s been “Paradise U” for a minute, & the practices have been as such.

When it gets to a point where a 5 star kid is like “oh ish; what did I sign up for?” again, then I’ll feel we hit a corner, and that’s not happening yr 1, imo. Guys have to be re-conditioned both mentally & physically what it means to rep this U.

I think there’s a better than average chance we lose to somebody who’s not Clemson or a&m. Obviously we’re better than everybody else, but I feel it’s a big ask to not stumble against at least one scrappy team. Hope I’m wrong about that.
I would agree with you,but we don't play any scrappy teams besides Pitt and they are going to have huge growing pains without their QB. Their new QB looked terrible in the bowl game.

Advertisement

Posting this video, not to glorify Saban or Bama, but to highlight what’s involved in culture. When @SWFLHurricane gave first hand testimonial about the rigors of the battles at home (practice), former players attesting that practice was harder than game time, all of that have to be re-established. It’s been “Paradise U” for a minute, & the practices have been as such.

When it gets to a point where a 5 star kid is like “oh ish; what did I sign up for?” again, then I’ll feel we hit a corner, and that’s not happening yr 1, imo. Guys have to be re-conditioned both mentally & physically what it means to rep this U.

@Rellyrell ....I've tried to tell people on here who weren't at UM practices in the mid to late 90s how Ruthless practices really were...THOSE practices, are the backbone of what made the later teams Great....

I would agree with you,but we don't play any scrappy teams besides Pitt and they are going to have huge growing pains without their QB. Their new QB looked terrible in the bowl game.
It’s the first time in awhile where I see the schedule and can identify some big chance losses, but not much else. I think this should be a 10-2 team. We lose to A&M and Clemson, but I don’t see where the other L is coming on the schedule.

UNC is starting with a new QB and they lost some guys from last year. Game is also in Miami. Duke absolutely sucks and we’ve beat them by a combined score of 95-10 over the past two years. We beat Tech pretty bad last year and that roster isn’t much better. Virginia has a good QB but not much else on that roster. GT lost their star RB and, again, there’s not much on that roster. That’s a game we should’ve put away early last year but Manny Diaz was going to Manny Diaz it. FSU is our main rival and in a rivalry game anything can happen. However, they needed a 4th down miracle last year to beat a terrible Manny Diaz defense. Game is also in Miami and they straight up blow. Then there’s Pitt. Pickett is gone, along with some major talent on their line, and their new QB sucks.

10-2 should be the expectation. 9-3 should be the minimum (assuming we blow a game allá Manny style). 8-4 would be a massive failure with this schedule.

I think we win 10 games . I would be impressed with more and I would be disappointed with less. I think we win 10 regular season games. Lose to Clemson and TAMU. Then lose to Clemson in the ACCCG. If clemson goes to the playoffs I see us losing a NY6 game and if Clemson doesn't go to the playoffs I see us possibly getting an 11th win in a tier 1 bowl game depending on who we play against.

We will be stronger at the end of the year than the beginning.

I think we smoke whoever we play in the bowl unless TVD opts out.

If we make the ACC title game, we WILL win it. Nobody outside the top 5 should scare us except for teams with a great oline that can take advantage of us not having a nose tackle.

But those same teams have to stop TVD with a month of preparation. Good luck with that.

Advertisement
Back