DMoney, LuCanes, Ariz

Rob Chudzinski probably has the closest resume to Howard, Jimmy, Dennis, and Butch. Plus he probably knows all the politics that go into dealing with the admin and the local recruiting. Just my opinion.

He's an NFL guy, imo.

Agreed, but so was Howard, Jimmy, and Butch, but they brought us a lot of success before they left and at this point I'll take any sort of success no matter how short. Another name that's interesting is Winston Moss, another poster mentioned him a while back and he's completely under the radar, everyone who's played speak of him as a great leader who demands respect.

Advertisement
Rob Chudzinski probably has the closest resume to Howard, Jimmy, Dennis, and Butch. Plus he probably knows all the politics that go into dealing with the admin and the local recruiting. Just my opinion.

And he's done what exactly as a HC to comapre him to all those coaches whom with exception to Butch had success as HC's at mid major programs . Chud is just as much of a gamble as Folden was.

Butch gives us instant crediblity. He kicked our butts when he was at NC. He recruited and developed More NFL talent than the U did while he was at UNC. He left for a big payday in the NFL after we lowballed him. He is affordable and he wants the job.

I will say this about Butch, he took his lumps when he came back as HC. I remember the the 49-0 blowout to flu and the east carolina games the fire Butch Davis banner and the bad game day coaching. All this coming during the probation years. But by year four he had built a complete MONSTER. As another poster said no one can tell me that the 2000 team was not a championship team. We all know about the 2001-2003 teams. Now he built that from the ground up, so what do you think he'll do now with what's in place now ?

Advertisement

And he's done what exactly as a HC to comapre him to all those coaches whom with exception to Butch had success as HC's at mid major programs . Chud is just as much of a gamble as Folden was.

Chud is an even bigger gamble than Folden was. At least Folden was a known recruiter when we hired him.

ButchDavis.jpg

I will say this about Butch, he took his lumps when he came back as HC. I remember the the 49-0 blowout to flu and the east carolina games the fire Butch Davis banner and the bad game day coaching. All this coming during the probation years. But by year four he had built a complete MONSTER. As another poster said no one can tell me that the 2000 team was not a championship team. We all know about the 2001-2003 teams. Now he built that from the ground up, so what do you think he'll do now with what's in place now ?

It was 47-0. See, if you really remembered, you would remember that.

Advertisement
I would love if Butch came back, but I don't see it happening with the current people running the school. Yes, Donna is leaving, but the people under her are in her mold and they will likely view Butch as having too many red flags. Hope I am wrong.

I was actually agreeing with you and giving an example to support your theory. He made game day adjustments and logical game day decisions. Should he be considered? IMO yes but with a list of other candidates who understand the heritage and how to coach up the elite athletes we have access to.

You guys seem to ignore the talent he recruited and developed at UNC; an obviously more recent accomplishment.

He's not the only guy that can recruit and develop talent. Just cause he was a lot better at it than the last 3 bums we've had since him doesn't automatically make him the best guy for the job.

Hey. Genius.

Name one frigging team that was the equivalent of the 2001 team.

One.

Since you were probably still in diapers, guess who the coach was?

Hey genius...that was 13 years ago.

You don't think recruiting services have gotten better since then? You're telling me that if Ed Reed would have been rated a 2 star in today's day and age?

Everything from analysis to the compilation of data has improved since then. ****, how many more high school games are shown on MAJOR TV now than they were back then? Butch made a living off identifying those guys on the cheap.

It's amazing....if enough time passes a guy's legend grows out of control. He absolutely did put together probably the best team of all time. If you ask me if I think he's a tremendous talent evaluator my answer would be **** yes. That still doesn't make him a great gameday coach.

And I was FAR removed from diapers in 2001.

Can't prove it by me.

You don't think Butch can take advantage of these improved recruiting services you speak of? You retarded enough to think Butch will operate out of a dark box?

Your mistake is that you're a pup and think anyone over 30 who may have at one time been the best has forgotten everything he knows about his job. WTF is wrong with you people? Kansas State. Did you know that Butch Davis and Nick Saban are exactly the same age?

I suppose that doesn't matter, as you think Saban, due to his age, doesn't know siht about football.

And this gameday boulschitt? WTF do you know? I recall distinctly when down in personnel, beating some really good teams that were supposed to run all over us. I recall his UNC teams giving Miami fits.

We got some of the dumbest fans anywhere. I mean dumb.

We need to find the next Butch. Butch is not the answer any more, he's just the last lover we remember that didn't hurt us.

Advertisement
We need to find the next Butch. Butch is not the answer any more, he's just the last lover we remember that didn't hurt us.

Why not hire Butch, get back in the National Championship run every year, and we'll get a good look at some other coaches in the process.

****, this isn't all that difficult.

Let me get this out of the way, at the risk of being ostracized: I was a big-time Al Golden supporter, even as recently as heading into the Louisville game this year.

However, in addition to the myriad on-the-field problems that have been analyzed and discussed ad nauseam on this site, I believe the most disheartening thing for me is the staff's (even some former Canes) mindset. I'm sure you all read the recent Fox Sports piece on the 2001 team and the process under which it was built. The players (to their own credit) took on the mindset that it was championship or bust. Those sentiments were echoed by the staff at the time, and more particularly by Butch Davis. It was not only ok, but welcomed and demanded to be a results oriented player or coach. The current regime, to the contrary, seems fine with the "it's ok as long as you tried" mentality. I'm sorry, but that was never the attitude around the program when it was at its best and can't be the mindset moving forward.

Rant over.

Advertisement
I'm gun shy with this school's ability to hire a great HC. There are guys out there who might turn out to be far better HCs than Butch, but most of them are gambles. Pruitt could be the next Malzahn or Bob Stoops, or he could be a complete disaster. Same with any of the other coordinators out there.

That's why I'd be happy to have Butch at this point. He's a very safe alternative at a time when we need it. You know what you're getting with him, and, frankly, I have no desire to deal with another 4 year mess like the last 2.

exactly. if you get Butch, you can guarantee that in 3-4 years the roster will be loaded with NFL talent. yeah he might ***** up some gameday coaching but wgaf at this point.

we would be ACC contenders at minimum pretty much immediately.

I like Chad Morris or the OC for ECU....

Clemson's offense doesn't look so good this year without a good veteran QB.

ECU's offense is the Mumme/Leach air raid. McNeil brought that with him from his days at TTU. It would be fun to see us running something dynamic offensively for sure.

Advertisement
Back