DMoney, LuCanes, Ariz

I like Chad Morris or the OC for ECU....

Clemson's offense doesn't look so good this year without a good veteran QB.

ECU's offense is the Mumme/Leach air raid. McNeil brought that with him from his days at TTU. It would be fun to see us running something dynamic offensively for sure.

Chise, Id like to see how Morris does with the freshman who has more ability than that other guy does the rest of the year. But yeah, most OC's success is predicated on the play/ability of the triggerman

Advertisement
The fans didn't run Butch out of town ,the Cleveland Browns gave him a better offer I guess. I hated the way he left,but he did build this program all the back up intoa once proud powerhouse.

Advertisement
Am afraid if this program gets much worse (and I think a 2 or 3 win season this year may be the best we can do), the best players (Kaaya, etc.) we have will transfer and we'll be stuck with JAGS and nothing else.

Am afraid if this program gets much worse (and I think a 2 or 3 win season this year may be the best we can do), the best players (Kaaya, etc.) we have will transfer and we'll be stuck with JAGS and nothing else.
Yeah, but we still get our share of the ACC revenue even if we are a sprinkle covered ****. Why try when you get paid anyway?

I don't want Butch

Then you're one dumb siht.

WTF do you, sonny, know about Butch other than a few things you heard or read?

Every problem we have here at the U can be fixed by Butch Davis.

Every single one. I know you grew up during a decade long dry spell while coached by a bunch of amateurs, but trust me.

It is really, really exciting when you're playing for National Championships, year after year getting the top three recruiting classes, and are always pre-season ranked in the top ten.

****, Pete!

He's just the perfect choice.

He wants it.

He's proven.

He can come in the salary range we are looking for.

He's a monster talent evaluator.

He's a monster recruiter.

He develops players.

He has an eye for talented coordinators.

He has the clout to get these talented coordinators to play for him.

He truly is respected as an Xs and Os guy unlike fake Al from the Al Groh tree.

He coached DL at Miami and in the Pros.

He is a defensive coach.

He is the answer.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm gun shy with this school's ability to hire a great HC. There are guys out there who might turn out to be far better HCs than Butch, but most of them are gambles. Pruitt could be the next Malzahn or Bob Stoops, or he could be a complete disaster. Same with any of the other coordinators out there.

That's why I'd be happy to have Butch at this point. He's a very safe alternative at a time when we need it. You know what you're getting with him, and, frankly, I have no desire to deal with another 4 year mess like the last 2.

Another fair point.

I agree with the view that Butch is "safe"....but why can't we aspire for more than safe?

After reading this board the last couple of days I'm shocked at the selective amnesia or the fondness derived from the passage of time, that Butch benefits from in terms of the fanbase. He's not a good gameday coach, and I still think we should consider other options before settling on him.

Butch took his lumps his first several years at Miami for his game day coaching ability but he eventually got it together. I think Butch also did a really good job at UNC in a short time. We don't know who has interest in Miami but based off of interviews it looks like Butch does.

Butch said it himself in one of those videos that he wishes he had never left. The contract negotiation with Miami wasn't smooth and the Browns offered him guaranteed money him and his wife couldn't refuse. He says hindsight is 20/20 and that he wishes he would have never left. I say give him a 2nd chance.

Kids would be banging his door down to come be the next great hurricane!

He would take what Al has done and take it to the next level. Al has done very good off the field for the University and it it's time for someone else to take over.

Advertisement
I agree with the view that Butch is "safe"....but why can't we aspire for more than safe?

After reading this board the last couple of days I'm shocked at the selective amnesia or the fondness derived from the passage of time, that Butch benefits from in terms of the fanbase. He's not a good gameday coach, and I still think we should consider other options before settling on him.

Everyone aspires for "more than safe". Problem is that no one wants to go through another 4 years of this fcking misery. We need a break. Aspiring for greatness is admirable, but unless you have a Saban or Harbaugh out there waiting to come here, there's no great bets available. There are only guys with great potential, who could be disasters as head coaches.

Butch said it himself in one of those videos that he wishes he had never left. The contract negotiation with Miami wasn't smooth and the Browns offered him guaranteed money him and his wife couldn't refuse. He says hindsight is 20/20 and that he wishes he would have never left. I say give him a 2nd chance.

Kids would be banging his door down to come be the next great hurricane!

He would take what Al has done and take it to the next level. Al has done very good off the field for the University and it it's time for someone else to take over.

Let's not forget that Butch also assembled the greatest collection of players in the history of college football without those particular recruits knowing he had that ability in him. In other words, he will have an incredible selling point that he didn't even have when he assembled all that talent. He now has the benefit of telling potential recruits about all the NFL Pro Bowlers he developed at UM. And he can give the recruits specific names. How powerful is that?

This.

I'm not even convinced that Butch would have won a championship here had he stayed. He was a bonehead on game day. "Fire Butch" was heard from fans around the OB frequently. Short memories. That @as kicking by Syracuse was fun... And didn't Blandy beat Butch's team the last time they met 33-10 (or something like that)? There is a reason nobody has offered him a job.

Miami should go for someone like Jim Leavitt or Ruffin. Time to stop living in the past.

Turn the page.

Advertisement
I just want someone who wants to come in and work hard and play to win. Not give excuses about playing a tough road opponent. How the **** do expect to win a National Title if you can't beat a good opponent on the road? I mean it's literally embarrassing he says things like that. Like that is a legit answer at Miami. Our goal every year is to win a NC. This attitude is makes me sick.

Gimme someone that is licking their chops to kick a top 25 teams *** on the road. Not hope we can compete year 4.

Everyone aspires for "more than safe". Problem is that no one wants to go through another 4 years of this fcking misery. We need a break. Aspiring for greatness is admirable, but unless you have a Saban or Harbaugh out there waiting to come here, there's no great bets available. There are only guys with great potential, who could be disasters as head coaches.

That's how I feel. At this point, I'd be thrilled if UM could get a guy that you know will (a) stock the cupboard and (b) make UM competitive for the ACC at a minimum within 2 years. That's Butch. He gives UM instant credibility again, knows exactly what he is doing, and isn't at risk of being an absolute coaching disaster. I get that he has his flaws and might not win a title, but with the way we've been hiring "up and comers" lately, it's more likely we hire the next Stan Parrish and not the next Harbaugh or Nick Saban. We can't have that again.

This.

I'm not even convinced that Butch would have won a championship here had he stayed. He was a bonehead on game day. "Fire Butch" was heard from fans around the OB frequently. Short memories. That @as kicking by Syracuse was fun... And didn't Blandy beat Butch's team the last time they met 33-10 (or something like that)? There is a reason nobody has offered him a job.

Miami should go for someone like Jim Leavitt or Ruffin. Time to stop living in the past.

Turn the page.

How OLD are you?

YOU sure didn't hear UM fans on game days saying "Fire Butch." Maybe your grandpa mentioned the time when the 31 scholarship reductions kicked in.

Ask gramps about what fans were saying after we beat UCLA.

Leavitt or Ruffin? Time to grow up.

This.

Turn the page.

How OLD are you?

YOU sure didn't hear UM fans on game days saying "Fire Butch." Maybe your grandpa mentioned the time when the 31 scholarship reductions kicked in.

Ask gramps about what fans were saying after we beat UCLA.

Leavitt or Ruffin? Time to grow up.

Funny. I was there and heard the chants loud and clear, were you? Here's a little trip down memory lane:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1998-11-29/sports/9811290353_1_syracuse-hurricanes-um

He was OWNED by Beamer and FSU - went 1-4 against both. His record vs ECU was 0-2 (not Ruffin's ECU either). With the exception of his last year here, he could only dependably beat Rutgers and Temple.

Time for you to grow up... or turn the page.

Advertisement
Back