2024 DL David Stone [commits to Okla] ENUFF

Status
Not open for further replies.

"I can't lie," said Stone, who is the No. 10 player in the nation. "Up until like three o'clock when (Sooners defensive tackles coach Todd) Bates called me, it was Miami. I already had the edit made. My family was all for it. I had a conversation with my mom and I asked her, 'Is it ok if I want to come back home?'

"She didn't really want me to come back home and I was fine making the sacrifice for her, and if it's not ok me coming home, I won't do it. The conversation came down to she wanted me to be happy and make my own decision and this is a big choice for me and I took her words to heart and went with my gut. I feel like I made the right decision."

However, he said even then there was some uncertainty in his mind.

"Honestly, even at the table, I was gonna reach for the Miami hat," he said. "I didn't want to play any games with nobody. I am a genuine person and I try to express my feelings the best way I can. Honestly, I was gonna pick up the Miami hat because I want my family to be happy, but I had to be selfish today. I wanted to go to OU."

You would think relentless Mario would have called the kid at 6pm or right before kick off.. anyway probably wouldn’t have mattered kid really wanted to go home…

Advertisement
Tough loss... Seems like the staff did everything they could.

It's just like us though right?

Justin Scott, elite DL: wants to go to Miami.. Mom wants him close to home. Stays home.

David Stone, elite DL: likes Oklahoma but Mom wants Miami and wants him away from home (and he likes Miami as well). Stays home.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Wow that was heart breaking to read as a canes fan….like i get it cause we want s.Flo kids to stay home but **** we really had and needed this one

That was a kick in the nuts. Unlike previous regimes, who wouldn't have even had us in the picture btw, we have the option of backfilling these misses in the portal. Optics suck, but landing "whale" DTs in recruiting is a dirty game but Mario will get it figured out. We'll see what it looks like in December but those portal back channels need to be worked now and through the season so we aren't left holding our johnson next year at the 2nd most important position.

Advertisement
You would think relentless Mario would have called the kid at 6pm or right before kick off.. anyway probably wouldn’t have mattered kid really wanted to go home…
That's why u never read into these interviews all fairytale sh from these players. U wanted everyone to think UM probably the family knew or didn't and u picked where everyone thought.

Nothing. Just complain more about how you became a fan when Miami was on top and how these young guys don’t get it and you must have excellence again.

You don’t get it. I started going to games in the earlier 70’s when we sucked - in the humid heat of the OB and was there regardless of win or loss year after year. Plenty on here go back further. When we became great it was something we could appreciate and very unexpected.

Now if we don’t duplicate that, everything sucks - like this school was ever supposed to even be in the conversation.
I was there too and he is Not that type of fan. He's the one who is quiet while on a win streak then screams when we lose.

Advertisement
Why can't we all have our opinions and be gentlemen and cordial about it? I do get your point of view. If I had come up in that time and seen both the rise and fall, I might feel the same way. Same thing if I had come up in the past 20 years and only known the Shannon/Golden/Manny years. I'm not saying anybody else is wrong. But I also have to be real about what I think and where I'm coming from. My perspective isn't any less valid. I didn't see the 70's. My first exposure to the Canes was watching us dominate.

And that tells me at least that it CAN be done here, if the will is there at the organizational level.

You know in a way, RVA, you're being mopier than I am. I'm ****ed off that we missed on a DT because I expect to win these battles. That comes from having belief and being let down. But the point of view you've expressed, referencing the 70's, seems resigned to the fact that we'll never get those glory years back and that you've accepted it, and enjoy following the team anyway.
Interesting because all you keep saying is how you don't believe in this Staff or Admin. 🤷‍♂️

Tough loss... Seems like the staff did everything they could.

It's just like us though right?

Justin Scott, elite DL: wants to go to Miami.. Mom wants him close to home. Stays home.

David Stone, elite DL: likes Oklahoma but Mom wants Miami and wants him away from home (and he likes Miami as well). Stays home.
Brutal. Even when we're right we end up wrong anyways. Just sucks.

Advertisement
Sounds like this one could get interesting in December still.
Seems possible. Hopefully Mario takes the hint to recruit the kid better with his family on board. We also know plenty of schools are paying kids to commit which means it isn't out of the question for more flips than normal to happen, as Cribby implied elsewhere.

Silver lining:

If he's changing his mind last second before announcing, then he probably still felt rushed and didn't have a peace about it.

I'd rather he be committed to us obviously but with uncertainty and after the hype/adrenaline down, there's still a chance he ends up here.

But he seems to really have a strong connection with Bates. He basically mentions him everytime he talks about OU.

kids got to be where he wants to be. if he truly wanted to be at Ok he should go there rather than come here and be miserable and hit the portal.
my guy is he got a last minute called from OK and he nervously made that pick. I dont think he trolled us. I dont know where he really wants to be but I dont think he trolled to that extent.

Here are my thoughts on the David Stone situation:

1.- I feel certain that Cribby had the latest information on the situation, and reported it as such. I don’t blame him at all, and I support him completely in his efforts to keep us informed on all cases. Furthermore, I am sure that up to the last minute his reporting was accurate and on track. Thank you Cribby for all the usually reliable and fact-filled information that you provide us. Please keep it coming!!

2.- It is obvious, during the announcement, that the young man was confused and uncertain as to what decision to take. The look in his face showed his ambivalence about the whole situation.

3.- The problems that we are having in recruiting at the DT position focuses on one person, and one person only. And, that person is named Coach Joe ***aofe Salave'a. He is an extremely poor recruiter. Additionally, I am convinced that he is also a less than average developer of talent at the DT position. After all, who has he developed into a 1st, 2nd or 3rd round draft choice in the NFL Draft? Although we tout, as we should, Coach Jason Taylor as a HOFer, a great recruiter, and potentially a top developer of talent, the DT position coach is Joe Salave'a; not Jason Taylor. David Stone saw this, and at decision time decided to go with a known product (i.e. Coach Thomas Brent Venables), a builder of top defenses, with an extensive list of top tier NFL DTs draftees while at Clemson. If we want to have future success at the DT position, Coach Salave'a has to be replaced.

4.- I also feel quite certain that an increased NIL deal was involved from Friday to Saturday. As the saying goes “…money talks and B.S. walks”. And the young man went with the greenbacks!

Finally, I feel encouraged about what could be the final outcome, i.e. by NLI signing date in December, 2023. This starts with us having a good season (i.e. at least 9 wins), showing increased progress in our game in general (both on offense & defense), increasing the NIL money to bring him back in the fold, and assuring David that he will be coached by a top notch developer of the DT position when he arrives on campus. A coach that gets players into the top 3 rounds of the NFL draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back