2024 DL David Stone [commits to Okla] ENUFF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lil Stetson got so much crap, but dude was little baller. Got drafted in the 4th round, so not a scrub by any means.

He made big play after big play in the SEC title game this past year, and in the playoffs last 2 years.

Dude put Georgia on his back against Ohio State in that 2nd half.

Threw for over 4000 yards and had 39 total TDs last season.
This may be true but he wasn't considered elite coming out of high school.

Advertisement
After Vince, and our long history before that at DT, it has been tough when bags were dropped with no NIL for the best DTs…but always remember pre-Mario, outside of a few, we were ****ed because our coaches didn’t sell out for the best without fear of losing. I will give Mario that credit…he threw everything at it, and I can live with that.
Everything is negative as **** right now. With good reason. And I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed too, but I think there are objective non-mope takes here based on what we've seen and what Cribby has said.
1. From Cribby, we offered this kid more than we have any others so far. Shows we still have money and will continue to use it. That's encouraging.
2. Mario has been close to getting kids like this multiple times. We are always in the conversation and seeing that brought up (even if last minute) by 247 writers and others. Being close is worthless by itself, but I haven't seen us referenced for kids like this outside this board very often going back to the golden days. We are now getting close and people know it, besides it just being a CIS rumor.
3. Mario has proven he can recruit these types of kids, even here with FM, Pancake, and now Jojo. Not to mention some last minute top 50 kids and plenty of top 100s. We know it's possible.

All that said, it seems like it's only a matter of time. Mario did all of that with like a month and no staff his first time around and with that abortion of a season last time. Assuming he can make us look decent on the field it's hard to not expect things to be top 10 going forward

He’s use to Walmart it’s what they do nothing else
I witnessed it there raised in this life , OU probably said no more Walmart if you leave or the movie house . This stunned Stone at last second was crushing the thought of it .

His mom knew he needed to break free from a Walmart life to grow as a young man , but it was to much and OU knew this .
Now Stone is smiling he kept nothingness existence like in Nebraska same life if your raised in it.
Yes bag 💼 involved for sure just something to ease moms pain if her son making the wrong decision.

Texas in the Red River shootout with destroy OU by fifty points.

Then he’ll know, excellent portal pick and Stones to the list .

GOCANES
Can someone please translate this?

Ty

Not a recruiting guy, I really only follow in the days leading up to a big announcement.

But it seems to me this one is far from over. OU can very easily have a really ****** year under Venables and there's no way Mario quits recruiting this guy right through signing day.

Long way to go here imo.

Advertisement
Here are my thoughts on the David Stone situation:

1.- I feel certain that Cribby had the latest information on the situation, and reported it as such. I don’t blame him at all, and I support him completely in his efforts to keep us informed on all cases. Furthermore, I am sure that up to the last minute his reporting was accurate and on track. Thank you Cribby for all the usually reliable and fact-filled information that you provide us. Please keep it coming!!

2.- It is obvious, during the announcement, that the young man was confused and uncertain as to what decision to take. The look in his face showed his ambivalence about the whole situation.

3.- The problems that we are having in recruiting at the DT position focuses on one person, and one person only. And, that person is named Coach Joe ***aofe Salave'a. He is an extremely poor recruiter. Additionally, I am convinced that he is also a less than average developer of talent at the DT position. After all, who has he developed into a 1st, 2nd or 3rd round draft choice in the NFL Draft? Although we tout, as we should, Coach Jason Taylor as a HOFer, a great recruiter, and potentially a top developer of talent, the DT position coach is Joe Salave'a; not Jason Taylor. David Stone saw this, and at decision time decided to go with a known product (i.e. Coach Thomas Brent Venables), a builder of top defenses, with an extensive list of top tier NFL DTs draftees while at Clemson. If we want to have future success at the DT position, Coach Salave'a has to be replaced.

4.- I also feel quite certain that an increased NIL deal was involved from Friday to Saturday. As the saying goes “…money talks and B.S. walks”. And the young man went with the greenbacks!

Finally, I feel encouraged about what could be the final outcome, i.e. by NLI signing date in December, 2023. This starts with us having a good season (i.e. at least 9 wins), showing increased progress in our game in general (both on offense & defense), increasing the NIL money to bring him back in the fold, and assuring David that he will be coached by a top notch developer of the DT position when he arrives on campus. A coach that gets players into the top 3 rounds of the NFL draft.
the espn people were also trying to push OK. during the broadcast it was clear.

at kid at this level, you dont blame Joe. Mario was his recruiter. you think if bama or uga misses on a kid they blame the position coach?that being said, you might be right hes a weak link but this is a lose for Mario.

Some of you sound like a bunch of Girlie Boys. Is it signing day yet? Did Miami not land Patterson? Did it look like this staff landed Stone? Oh, is it signing day? If you wanna be ****ed after this staff misses in every DT known to man after the ink dries fine! I’ll support that. But if you think this staff won’t stop until we get another elite DT you’re wrong!

All I’ve read is miss after miss which is fair. Fine. But if you didn’t look at that family and realize we got a F n crystal ball for Stone and not realize this staff is gonna eventually get things to go our way then I’m not sure what to say. Even I said we had no shot. I was wrong. Win games and recruit like crazy.

1.- I feel certain that Cribby had the latest information on the situation, and reported it as such. I don’t blame him at all, and I support him completely in his efforts to keep us informed on all cases. Furthermore, I am sure that up to the last minute his reporting was accurate and on track. Thank you Cribby for all the usually reliable and fact-filled information that you provide us. Please keep it coming!!

2.- It is obvious, during the announcement, that the young man was confused and uncertain as to what decision to take. The look in his face showed his ambivalence about the whole situation.

3.- The problems that we are having in recruiting at the DT position focuses on one person, and one person only. And, that person is named Coach Joe ***aofe Salave'a. He is an extremely poor recruiter. Additionally, I am convinced that he is also a less than average developer of talent at the DT position. After all, who has he developed into a 1st, 2nd or 3rd round draft choice in the NFL Draft? Although we tout, as we should, Coach Jason Taylor as a HOFer, a great recruiter, and potentially a top developer of talent, the DT position coach is Joe Salave'a; not Jason Taylor. David Stone saw this, and at decision time decided to go with a known product (i.e. Coach Thomas Brent Venables), a builder of top defenses, with an extensive list of top tier NFL DTs draftees while at Clemson. If we want to have future success at the DT position, Coach Salave'a has to be replaced.

4.- I also feel quite certain that an increased NIL deal was involved from Friday to Saturday. As the saying goes “…money talks and B.S. walks”. And the young man went with the greenbacks!

Finally, I feel encouraged about what could be the final outcome, i.e. by NLI signing date in December, 2023. This starts with us having a good season (i.e. at least 9 wins), showing increased progress in our game in general (both on offense & defense), increasing the NIL money to bring him back in the fold, and assuring David that he will be coached by a top notch developer of the DT position when he arrives on campus. A coach that gets players into the top 3 rounds of the NFL draft.
There is no more DT coach

Advertisement

If it was money, he’d be on Miami’s commit list

Yep, unfortunately that’s the narrative that’s being pushed by some on this site so there’s going to be some disappointed individuals come December.

Look I don't believe in counting on flipping kids so don't confuse what about to write as me saying anything different.
That statistic while it might be true it's not completely relevant.
We dont need 5% of all committed recruits to flip to us. We just need one or two.
That does happen. That happens every year. That actually happened for us last year and to us as well. We already flipped one this year.
Like I said I don't believe in counting on that to happen because it's an uncertainty but to act like it's an a statistical unicorn is also wrong.

Statistically less than 10% (it might be 5% actually) of all recruits actually flip once committed, despite they fact we know many we can point to.

history as a general rule isn’t on our side though from your lips to the recruiting gods ears🙏

I don't believe in counting on flipping kids. That just an uncertainty I don't like.
Having said that we don't need 5% of the committed kids to flip to us. We just need one or two. That does happen regularly in recruiting. Already happend this year.

Advertisement
sorry - not sorry - "wanted to play at home" - but went away from home for high school football... - bull****
Underrated GIF by Potomac Fund Management

I'm perfectly fine. Ur the one who insinuated that I was some kind of ignorant porster.

Btw, Stone doesn't want to be just any ol' doctor. He wants to be a neurosurgeon. One would think, with the football variables being relatively equal, that a meaningful difference in the quality of med schools would win out. Hence my question.

IF Miami's med school and opportunities through U Health are considerably better than what OU has to offer, and this kid is too timid to leave mommy and daddy to take advantage, I'm not sure I'd want him touching my brain anyway.
He wants to be an NFL player.

Advertisement
I don't believe in counting on flipping kids. That just an uncertainty I don't like.
Having said that we don't need 5% of the committed kids to flip to us. We just need one or two. That does happen regularly in recruiting. Already happend this year.
Which I noted so not sure the issue?

Well @Cribby might not wanna explain it to you guys cause what's the point. Normally I wouldn't wanna bother either. But it's crazy how y'all want us to tell y'all about **** then the second something doesn't go through you don't understand nothing. It's just clearly nonsense. Y'all can't have both sides of the coin. If that's what it is then no need to ask for info period on stuff if it's just gonna be doubted. That dude goes far out his way to keep y'all in the loop and honestly he's one of the last ones left whos even still patient enough to tell y'all anything. Theres a reason myself and others just don't bother anymore. I'll tell y'all last night he told us he was on board AGAIN. Tonight all the way up until several minutes before half time we still were of the belief he was coming. It's why all the lil kids in the background had green on and there was the um sign even(I'm sure y'all will simply say that's just him trolling)well if you watched the game you see just leading into half time a kid runs up to him with his phone. He gets a confused look and starts texting. Then he starts talking with Ellis Hobbs and u see he clearly said I don't know what to do or what can I do then he shrugs his shoulders and looks confused as ****. Walks over to the tent to commit and pulls the ou hat while still looking shook and you see the kids and all the adults in the background trying to figure out what happened. Even his family still thought he was coming to us & it's why none of the adults had ou stuff on. But I understand how y'all will view that. @Cribby and I have had words before and we're nowhere near best friends. But we're good and I know what he tells y'all is legit. Be thankful somebody still tries to tell y'all what's going on. Tread lightly cause if you run him off too you gonna be sitting around just praying the bank opens more often. Unfortunately especially when it relates to how nil has changed the game up, things can change multiple times in a heartbeat. That's reality and it's just what it is. But y'all believe what you want and do u.
Sad you even had to explain this.

the espn people were also trying to push OK. during the broadcast it was clear.

at kid at this level, you dont blame Joe. Mario was his recruiter. you think if bama or uga misses on a kid they blame the position coach?that being said, you might be right hes a weak link but this is a lose for Mario.
Does our DT play this year dictate whether or not Joe is back next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back