2024 DL David Stone [commits to Okla] ENUFF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the inverse then true if he does come here?
I think obviously for the 1st point. Lots of misses popping up to totally rule out the 2nd point. You’ll be hard pressed to flip me on the 3rd point aside for the fact that coaching salaries are obviously inflating so $8M a year is probably totally irrelevant in 2030 and beyond… so it won’t look as bad by then. It was an investment over the long term.

It probably calms the storm for recruiting for the time being.

Advertisement
@JHallCanes Are we getting Sone now cause of the username?
damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

basically a pt. 2 to his earlier article:

Oklahoma has been seen as the leader for quite awhile and even just last week, I went on the 247Sports College Football Recruiting Show and said that while I'm fully accounting for Miami's relentless surge, I still felt like Oklahoma was in a decent spot. The bottom line here, and several involved in this recruitment understand this, it that it's up to Stone to give Miami the opportunity to overtake Oklahoma. Until that happens, though, the Canes can keep on going all-in knowing there's nothing to lose. Sure, it'd be tough not to come out on top for the Canes, but everyone knew the situation regarding Stone and OU before Miami decided to make things interesting.

I also know in speaking to some sources that even a couple of Oklahoma commits are in a similar mindset, 'Sure, but I'll believe it when I see it' type of mode. I think many believe it's still up to Stone and Miami to completely alter things.

However, as we know, Stone's family adores Miami. The thought of having Stone stay in Florida and continuing to grow is enticing to his mother and his siblings have told their older brother about how they'd love to go to college at Miami one day. I know that Miami's staff has been in frequent contact with Stone's family, and it's just something I can't overlook when you consider what we're talking about.

"I love my family to death," Stone said during our recent chat. "If there was anything I could do to make them happy, I would do it."

So, it's sort of a 'Your move, Stone' type of decision. As has been seen before, the recruitments of five-stars can shift and we're truly in a holding pattern waiting to see what comes next. As I also reported, the Stone family did sit down over dinner to discuss the upcoming announcement in hopes of coming to a decision. It's the last time they were all going to see each other before his reveal, but there's still no word on what came out of that conversation.

So, I think the belief here is that Oklahoma keeps holding onto a lead until word gets out that would indicate things have gone a different direction. Again, I'm not going to put in a pick or a prediction as this one is, literally, very undecided. But I do think it's fair to say OU should still be seen as the slight lean until Miami is truly able to takeover the top spot down the stretch.

Advertisement

basically a pt. 2 to his earlier article:

Oklahoma has been seen as the leader for quite awhile and even just last week, I went on the 247Sports College Football Recruiting Show and said that while I'm fully accounting for Miami's relentless surge, I still felt like Oklahoma was in a decent spot. The bottom line here, and several involved in this recruitment understand this, it that it's up to Stone to give Miami the opportunity to overtake Oklahoma. Until that happens, though, the Canes can keep on going all-in knowing there's nothing to lose. Sure, it'd be tough not to come out on top for the Canes, but everyone knew the situation regarding Stone and OU before Miami decided to make things interesting.

I also know in speaking to some sources that even a couple of Oklahoma commits are in a similar mindset, 'Sure, but I'll believe it when I see it' type of mode. I think many believe it's still up to Stone and Miami to completely alter things.

However, as we know, Stone's family adores Miami. The thought of having Stone stay in Florida and continuing to grow is enticing to his mother and his siblings have told their older brother about how they'd love to go to college at Miami one day. I know that Miami's staff has been in frequent contact with Stone's family, and it's just something I can't overlook when you consider what we're talking about.

"I love my family to death," Stone said during our recent chat. "If there was anything I could do to make them happy, I would do it."

So, it's sort of a 'Your move, Stone' type of decision. As has been seen before, the recruitments of five-stars can shift and we're truly in a holding pattern waiting to see what comes next. As I also reported, the Stone family did sit down over dinner to discuss the upcoming announcement in hopes of coming to a decision. It's the last time they were all going to see each other before his reveal, but there's still no word on what came out of that conversation.

So, I think the belief here is that Oklahoma keeps holding onto a lead until word gets out that would indicate things have gone a different direction. Again, I'm not going to put in a pick or a prediction as this one is, literally, very undecided. But I do think it's fair to say OU should still be seen as the slight lean until Miami is truly able to takeover the top spot down the stretch.

Really POS move to scapegoat Stone’s family, especially younger siblings, if he doesn’t choose OU.

In my proverbial sky might be falling post I left out that all of that being said…

I think Miami lands him.

They literally have to. If they don’t I’m not really sure where they turn. Momentum will be killed and I would put some $ on Lightfoot and Jones dipping from the class as well. They jumped on board with expectation of playing beside some monsters. Lightfoot’s mom is obviously a huge fan of JT, though.
I get the sense that Lightfoot is all Cane, but I’d be really worried about Jones in this scenario.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I think obviously for the 1st point. Lots of misses popping up to totally rule out the 2nd point. You’ll be hard pressed to flip me on the 3rd point aside for the fact that coaching salaries are obviously inflating so $8M a year is probably totally irrelevant in 2030 and beyond… so it won’t look as bad by then. It was an investment over the long term.

It probably calms the storm for recruiting for the time being.
$8m puts him as 12th highest paid today btw, in case you didn't know where he was relatively. And obviously it's a long-term deal.
But while Stone is important, it's still important to say that what we actually need is 2 Elite/top/great DTs to sign here on NSD. That's what actually gets judged - imo not whether Stone picks us In August. Whether that is Stone and Jones - that would be my preference - or Breland and Jones, or maybe someone else...

Also for me Landing Stone would eliminate any perceived 'Storm' for recruiting except at CB and QB. QB can be calmed by getting a top portal guy. CB... idk it's not looking so hot.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Truly feel we are doing everything possible here, and I am NOT the guy to cry “we did xyz and the kid just didn’t want to come” etc. From the NIL, to the non stop love/attention, including his family in everything, the playing time, and several other things. I want to believe, because we are desperate and truly believe we have gone all out but we will see Saturday. Haven’t felt the pure need for us to get a kids verbal like this in a minute. I’ve maintained from jump that he is my favorite DL this cycle, ever since I saw that IMG game last fall and he was best player on the field.

Getting him and Jones across the finish line would be monumental for this program and if we were to add another premier interior along w those 2 would literally change this teams floor for the next 4 years, in a good way. Like many have said, this is what we hired the $80M man for, literally this. You can’t win big without these types. You want to start and sustain punishing the “inferior” teams on this conference consistently, you do it with QB’s and/or LOS monsters. Idc how you do it MC and co., but can’t whiff here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back