2024 DL David Stone [commits to Okla] ENUFF

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the OU 247 board this afternoon:

How did it get to this point?
From an Oklahoma perspective, the Sooners have been on the verge of landing Stone's on more than one occasion. There was confidence expressed out of Norman a couple different instances, but a commitment was never finalized. Michigan State smoke was also very real as the Spartans surged in this recruitment months ago but weren't able to land a verbal. Even this decision date fell into question several times as there were rumors throughout July and early August that Stone could close things down. Now, with time continuously extended and things remaining open, that's allowed a program like Miami to go full steam ahead. The Canes have expressed their goal of bringing in an elite defensive line class this cycle, and Stone has long been a name on that board. As a result of the extended timeline, Miami's relentless pursuit of Stone and his family has altered the outlook with little time remaining.

Where do things stand now?
Stone and his entire family sat down together after the IMG-Lipscomb Academy game to hash out how they felt and come to a decision
Both OU and Miami staffs were aware of this plan. Going into that dinner meeting, both staffs felt good where things stood.

Stone has great admiration for OU, its coaches and the relationships that are present there, but Stone has also been greatly appreciative of the effort Miami has shown prioritizing Stone and his family members. A concern behind the scenes is that Stone may have to handle some challenges in a potential return to home in Oklahoma. This has increased interest in the thought of staying in Florida and playing at a place like Miami.

Stone still has a lot of admiration for Oklahoma, but his family loves Miami and he has connected with several people in the program.

On the question of Jayden Jackson and his relationship with Stone:
The two have essentially formed a brotherhood while spending time away from their families at IMG Academy. But not too long ago, Jackson was prepared to make a decision independently that had nothing to do with Stone. Schools like Texas, Miami and Ohio State were involved until OU was able to jump into the top spot down the stretch. The OU reporter says that several sources told him that Jackson's decision to commit to OU was his own which has to be considered regarding Stone.

Miami is trying to counter with relationships of its own at this stage in the process.. Stone is close with several current players on the Canes' roster, including a former teammate at IMG in Francis Mauigoa.

Oklahoma feels it has the advantage from a coaching relationship perspective in Todd Bates, but Miami's coaches have really connected with Stone's family. Other commits for OU are also trying to help pursue Stone like Jaydan Hardy, but the Canes are countering with communication from any outlet imaginable.

The 247 reporter says Stone's relationships with Oklahoma's staff and commits remain crucial, but Miami has literally gone all-in on pursuing Stone's family. The Canes' staff called Stone's family members during their 10-hour drive up to Nashville to check in, something that Stone mentioned really stood out. His siblings love their visits to Miami and I know Stone's mother has discussed the advantages of Stone staying in Florida with the Canes' coaches. Both schools can check the 'early playing time' box with actual proof being shown in the depth charts.

Both schools feel good right now. The 247guy says he couldn't in good conscience put a cb in or anyone right now. He expects this recruitment to go down to the wire with info locked up tight until possibly right before the weekend.

OU experiencing a Kam Franklin ? If it was OU wouldn’t he have picked them already? Not saying it’s Miami just saying weird if it was a lock why he still looking around. With that said my pick is still OU lol

Advertisement

basically a pt. 2 to his earlier article:

Oklahoma has been seen as the leader for quite awhile and even just last week, I went on the 247Sports College Football Recruiting Show and said that while I'm fully accounting for Miami's relentless surge, I still felt like Oklahoma was in a decent spot. The bottom line here, and several involved in this recruitment understand this, it that it's up to Stone to give Miami the opportunity to overtake Oklahoma. Until that happens, though, the Canes can keep on going all-in knowing there's nothing to lose. Sure, it'd be tough not to come out on top for the Canes, but everyone knew the situation regarding Stone and OU before Miami decided to make things interesting.

I also know in speaking to some sources that even a couple of Oklahoma commits are in a similar mindset, 'Sure, but I'll believe it when I see it' type of mode. I think many believe it's still up to Stone and Miami to completely alter things.

However, as we know, Stone's family adores Miami. The thought of having Stone stay in Florida and continuing to grow is enticing to his mother and his siblings have told their older brother about how they'd love to go to college at Miami one day. I know that Miami's staff has been in frequent contact with Stone's family, and it's just something I can't overlook when you consider what we're talking about.

"I love my family to death," Stone said during our recent chat. "If there was anything I could do to make them happy, I would do it."

So, it's sort of a 'Your move, Stone' type of decision. As has been seen before, the recruitments of five-stars can shift and we're truly in a holding pattern waiting to see what comes next. As I also reported, the Stone family did sit down over dinner to discuss the upcoming announcement in hopes of coming to a decision. It's the last time they were all going to see each other before his reveal, but there's still no word on what came out of that conversation.

So, I think the belief here is that Oklahoma keeps holding onto a lead until word gets out that would indicate things have gone a different direction. Again, I'm not going to put in a pick or a prediction as this one is, literally, very undecided. But I do think it's fair to say OU should still be seen as the slight lean until Miami is truly able to takeover the top spot down the stretch.
1692695973737.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
I’m not gonna get into Symantecs. You don’t think it’s a factor. At the end of the day, if we land him, then land Patterson, that will calm the board down. I’ll be thrilled. All I’m saying is, it sounds like he misses his family and it’s been posted on this board more than by just me. So
It wouldn’t shock me if he picked OU. But Miami has to win one of these battles right? Mario has to win one of these tough battles. We will see
Oh I absolutely think it’s a factor, an important one along with many others but as you said Mario HAS to win one of these. This is Mario’s target list and he knew all these factors on all of these guys better than any of us so if come ESD he goes 0‘Fer on all of them it’s a failure regardless of factors.

Now if we land both Stone and Zaquan on Saturday it completely changes the trajectory of this class and If that doesn’t calm people down then I can’t help them. The inverse is also true, if we miss on both the class faces the possibility of completely falling apart no matter how much some will want to downplay the effects of Zaquan committing to the Noles. We absolutely must go atleast 1 for 2 even though it’s only “August”. I’m hopeful Mario’s persistence pays off.

Advertisement
Until @Cribby speaks I will stay even keeled.

The "information" from the paid sites picks up steam as the commitment nears but provides nothing but hearsay as they all copy paste the same fluff from"sources". Don't allow every clickbait insider to sway your emotions one way or another.

Our guy will tell us when it is time.

Last edited:
**** it…. I am crystal balling Stone to Miami. However I am not ban betting, typical CIS style 😂

Truly feel we are doing everything possible here, and I am NOT the guy to cry “we did xyz and the kid just didn’t want to come” etc. From the NIL, to the non stop love/attention, including his family in everything, the playing time, and several other things. I want to believe, because we are desperate and truly believe we have gone all out but we will see Saturday. Haven’t felt the pure need for us to get a kids verbal like this in a minute. I’ve maintained from jump that he is my favorite DL this cycle, ever since I saw that IMG game last fall and he was best player on the field.

Getting him and Jones across the finish line would be monumental for this program and if we were to add another premier interior along w those 2 would literally change this teams floor for the next 4 years, in a good way. Like many have said, this is what we hired the $80M man for, literally this. You can’t win big without these types. You want to start and sustain punishing the “inferior” teams on this conference consistently, you do it with QB’s and/or LOS monsters. Idc how you do it MC and co., but can’t whiff here.

Just to add to this, the fact we already committed 80M just for the HC makes me feel like you don't want to lose a kid like this for 50, 100, or even a few hundred K over 4 years. You land this kid, Jones and Hopefully Breland and build a dynasty around him.

Advertisement
Just to add to this, the fact we already committed 80M just for the HC makes me feel like you don't want to lose a kid like this for 50, 100, or even a few hundred K over 4 years. You land this kid, Jones and Hopefully Breland and build a dynasty around him.
You land those 3 with Lightfoot, Rudolph and Russell and that’s better than last years OL class. I would love for it to happen but I’m not holding it against them if they don’t. Land 1 of Stone/Breland while keeping our current DL class intact and that’s a top 3 DL class come ESD. Add another eval DT to that and its mission accomplished for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back