2024 DL David Stone [commits to Okla] ENUFF

Status
Not open for further replies.
7 wins or less we'll be in the 20s-30s.
8 wins or more we'll land a top ten class.
10 wins or more we'll land a top 5 class.

Winning dictates recruiting.

This is a slightly outdated way of thinking. Kids are visiting and committing MUCH earlier than ever before, and every year it gets earlier and earlier.

I don't think the on field performance will be that dramatic in terms of overall recruiting. Remember, early signing day is 2-3 weeks after the last game. How many kids will still be on the fence then? Maybe we can flip Smith if we jump out to a good record, but most of this work has been done over the past 12 months and will be continued for the next 2 months before the season starts. It will surely help if we get off to a great start but I just don't think there will be enough fish left in the pond late in the year for November wins/losses to really dictate 20-25 spots in the rankings. We'll see.

Advertisement
He's going to Oklahoma.

May be true, but we can't leave any stone unturned.

giphy (1).gif

This is a slightly outdated way of thinking. Kids are visiting and committing MUCH earlier than ever before, and every year it gets earlier and earlier.

I don't think the on field performance will be that dramatic in terms of overall recruiting. Remember, early signing day is 2-3 weeks after the last game. How many kids will still be on the fence then? Maybe we can flip Smith if we jump out to a good record, but most of this work has been done over the past 12 months and will be continued for the next 2 months before the season starts. It will surely help if we get off to a great start but I just don't think there will be enough fish left in the pond late in the year for November wins/losses to really dictate 20-25 spots in the rankings. We'll see.
Hasn't Mario taught us anything? He never stops recruiting. We know Mario will continue to recruit these kids until the very end. Jaleel Skinner was committed to Alabama for 3 months and flipped at the very end. Committed or not, Mario will continue to recruit until pen meets paper. We win 10 games it makes it much harder for a kid to say no and much easier for Mario to get a kid to flip.

Hasn't Mario taught us anything? He never stops recruiting. We know Mario will continue to recruit these kids until the very end. Jaleel Skinner was committed to Alabama for 3 months and flipped at the very end. Committed or not, Mario will continue to recruit until pen meets paper. We win 10 games it makes it much harder for a kid to say no and much easier for Mario to get a kid to flip.
I agree but the point is that you can’t flip an ungodly amount of high-ranked ballers late. You can grab 2-4 studs usually, tops. We flipped Colins and Fletcher last year.

I can’t recall many instances where someone flipped a crazy amount of high-ranked guys in such a short period of time. Maybe he can with a 10-win season or something insane, I’m not doubting that. I’m just saying it’s not common, in fact it’s extremely rare. That’s why it’s so crucial to get some of these cats in the boat early. It’s much easier to hold onto a kid than flip him.

Advertisement

Over 80% of top 250 recruits are committed by end of September. Good seasons don’t mean big commits. It is more likely to help us in 2025

Would like to point out that the biggest national guy in Wilfong believes we get a top 10 class. Wonder who the 3 star was, initial thought was Ionata but that doesn’t fit the timeline.
Nesta. Only 3 of the 6 were "silently committed" but they had basically penciled all 6 of these guys in the class at that point.

I think baseball at Oklahoma might have swayed him. Miami isn't as interested in him as a 2 sport. Rarely works out.

I agree but the point is that you can’t flip an ungodly amount of high-ranked ballers late. You can grab 2-4 studs usually, tops. We flipped Colins and Fletcher last year.

I can’t recall many instances where someone flipped a crazy amount of high-ranked guys in such a short period of time. Maybe he can with a 10-win season or something insane, I’m not doubting that. I’m just saying it’s not common, in fact it’s extremely rare. That’s why it’s so crucial to get some of these cats in the boat early. It’s much easier to hold onto a kid than flip him.
You're right but think about what you wrote and put it into perspective. We flipped Collins from Michigan and Flipped Fletcher from OSU. Both of those teams were in the CFP while we went 5-7 and got embarrassed by FSU.

Mario is a different level of recruiter. We win 10 games, we might only flip 4 recruits at the end like you said but best believe those 4 recruits will be high level blue chips.

I'm not stressing until I see how the season plays out.

Last edited:
Advertisement
After 1 min of googling:

Went back to 2010. He'd be 5. Reasonable age to start having impressions from a CFB team.

10 win seasons - OU -10; Miami - 1
Conference titles - OU - 8; Miami - 0
Top 10 Final rank - OU - 9; Miami - 1
CFP appearances - OU - 4; Miami - 0

**List doesn't include several Sugar Bowls**
close thread

Do you think this or do you KNOW this? Because I know nothing but got the sense he wanted to be a Cane.
Mario is a persuasive salesman who has kept us ostensibly in the game. Every objective factor has been OU.

They've recruited him hard since day 1.

This isn't a convoluted battle with weird excuses from a Heritage kid.

Our biggest sell is early playing time and OU can sell the same.

He's from right there.

We've pulled Shockey and Syii Tucker from that area. That's it.

OU has more recent wins (though not national title).

We have bags. So do they.

I can't think of a single argument where we would be ahead in this recruitment.

It makes no sense, unless we are offering an absolute BALLOON to come here.

I would question strongly why a kid like Jones or Scott or the other DLs would go to OU over us, but Stone? It should be a layup for Venables.

Mario is a persuasive salesman who has kept us ostensibly in the game. Every objective factor has been OU.

They've recruited him hard since day 1.

This isn't a convoluted battle with weird excuses from a Heritage kid.

Our biggest sell is early playing time and OU can sell the same.

He's from right there.

We've pulled Shockey and Syii Tucker from that area. That's it.

OU has more recent wins (though not national title).

We have bags. So do they.

I can't think of a single argument where we would be ahead in this recruitment.

It makes no sense, unless we are offering an absolute BALLOON to come here.

I would question strongly why a kid like Jones or Scott or the other DLs would go to OU over us, but Stone? It should be a layup for Venables.
Idt any 5* DT is a layup. But Venables has been doing his thing this cycle.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back