DL Coach search

Does anyone else feel this is a little shot over the bow at Kirby and Richt's way to counter UGA recruiting theft in SoFla by returning the favor and trying to do the same in GA?

Oh it's a definitely a warning shot, lol! They want to use James Coley to come into South Florida, well okay, I see that move, and raise you one lol!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Like I said, Rick wound up hiring someone he knows very well. That's how coaching hires usually works. He knows him and trusts him. He also must know that Simpson has juice in GA. He was coaching HS football there as recently as 2016 I think.

Rick sees UGA coming down here to raid us, so he's going to return the favor. I like it as long as Simpson has recruiting juice. That's what this all comes down to. If he has that juice, then this is a homerun.

Advertisement
You’re not on an NFL staff of one of the best defensive minds in the game if you don’t know what you’re doing. He made more money in Georgia HS football than many G5 position coaches... why would he leave? He definitely learned something in the nfl and the fact that the falcons trusted him to scout and gameplan proves well for recruiting

don't think rumpH had his resume on the HS level.

Exactly, he absolutely didn't. He also didn't have one of the brightest defensive-minded coaches in the NFL add him to his staff. Moreover, most well-respected high school coaches that make the jump to the college level actually make a positive impact recruiting their home state. Rumph's failures are more of an anomaly than the norm.

This is definitely strikes me as more of a high-risk, high-reward hire, but I like it. This is certainly isn't a Randy Melvin-type hire. Really looking forward to seeing how UM recruits Georgia looking forward.

Advertisement
True story. Don Soldinger coached Miami LBs from 84-88.
His only prior experience was HS coaching

Then he went back to Miami Southridge

Then he came back to coach RBs with Butch

Will always have a special remembrance for Soldinger, he was my coach in HS. He was tough but approachable, could talk to him about any problems you had. A great guy

I like the hire for reasons some have already outlined. Georgia is more known for producing elite players in the trenches on both sides of the ball. The guy's career projection is sky rocketing and he destroyed GA football which is pretty impressive in of itself. This hire lets us get in the door for more elite players in that state. Also puts a foot in the fire to some of the South Florida kids that like to play the games during the entire cycle, because those Georgia kids are pretty **** good themselves.

Advertisement
I think this says a few things. First, despite reports to the contrary, we do not have unlimited funds for assistant coaches. So, $750,000 for Rocker is out. Second, CMR does not particularly think that we need to recruit DL in So Fla better-either we get the good ones we want already because we are the home town or there are not enough of them. So, he is Ok will getting a guy who has few ties here. Just as long as he gets a guy who has ties where there are DL-which is true of Georgia. Third, CMR is very focused on having a staff whom he likes and respects. Simpson seems to fit that well. And finally, CMR is not about to be pressured into adding guys that are "hot" with the experts, boosters or fans. He is running his program. I hope he is right. Go Canes.

You are correct sir. We came close with Aranda. Richt has some clout and his rep is spotless.[/QUOTE
Will always have a special remembrance for Soldinger, he was my coach in HS. He was tough but approachable, could talk to him about any problems you had. A great guy
Good guy and four potential HOFers didn’t hurt his status. Edge, C Port, Gore and Willis would make my kid a good RB Coach. Watch film on Gore before his knee injuries, unbelievable talent. Explosive. Check out 2001 W Va & Cuse highlights

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back