DJ Ivey last night

Advertisement
Lack of speed?
He ran in 5 track meets in 2016 and did not run this year. As a sophomore he did rather well for 400m. Each meet he ran in he was progressively faster. He was in that speed/growth development phase and no doubt much faster now.

Demitrius Ivey (10th).... 3rd-place......400m.... 51.78 PR..... Apr 19,2016...... FHSAA 4A District 16

He also finished 5th in the FHSAA 4A Region 4 meet with a triple jump of over 43 feet that same year. All of those that were ahead of him were seniors and juniors. Many sophomores who jump 43'+ end up meeting the national HS elite standard of 45'. The triple jump shows explosion.

Triple jump was the 19th best in the state of Florida for sophomores

Last edited:
Lack of speed?
He ran in 5 track meets in 2016 and did not run this year. As a sophomore he did rather well for 400m. Each meet he ran in he was progressively faster. He was in that speed/growth development phase and no doubt much faster now.

Demitrius Ivey (10th).... 3rd-place......400m.... 51.78 PR..... Apr 19,2016...... FHSAA 4A District 16

He also finished 5th in the FHSAA 4A Region 4 meet with a triple jump of over 43 feet that same year. All of those that were ahead of him were seniors and juniors. Many sophomores who jump 43'+ end up meeting the national HS elite standard of 45'. The triple jump shows explosion.

I like real facts--as a sophomore has explosive qualities and jumping/leaping ability

Lack of speed?

For comparison, Richard Sherman (Dominguez, Compton, CA) jumped 50’8” in 2006. He ran 4.56 at NFL combine.

Also, 51.78 doesn’t flash burner, to me. But at the high school level a 400m tells you absolutely nothing about 40 yd speed.

Nothing about the numbers you’ve given prove one way or another how fast he could be. But, what I’d guess right now is that he’s not sub-4.6. Probably 4.7-4.8.

Advertisement
Lack of speed?

For comparison, Richard Sherman (Dominguez, Compton, CA) jumped 50’8” in 2006. He ran 4.56 at NFL combine.

Also, 51.78 doesn’t flash burner, to me. But at the high school level a 400m tells you absolutely nothing about 40 yd speed.

Nothing about the numbers you’ve given prove one way or another how fast he could be. But, what I’d guess right now is that he’s not sub-4.6. Probably 4.7-4.8.

the 51.78--was in limited meets as a 10th grader if you read the text. I coached HS then JUCO track in Arizona and know how speed can drop especially for a sophomore if he is of legit age..seen 52s fall to 50 in 2 years in HS kids.
The 400m tell me one thing the guy is not a turtle on his back. MR and company know a little bit more about what the coaches at his HS and others around him know about his speed that you do
And the level of competition and receivers he has played and is playing against is another thing. And probably the most important thing

Lack of speed?

the 51.78--was in limited meets as a 10th grader if you read the text. I coached HS then JUCO track in Arizona and know how speed can drop especially for a sophomore if he is of legit age..seen 52s fall to 50 in 2 years in HS kids.
The 400m tell me one thing the guy is not a turtle on his back. MR and company know a little bit more about what the coaches at his HS and others around him know about his speed that you do
And the level of competition and receivers he has played and is playing against is another thing. And probably the most important thing

Forget trying to explain to this guy. It appears he is on the tampon and is a hair splitter type.
Do agree the game films and results say it all and the other big time schools suddenly becoming interested in him after we did.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/DJ-Ivey-92455/RecruitInterests

Lack of speed?

the 51.78--was in limited meets as a 10th grader if you read the text. I coached HS then JUCO track and know ho speed can drop especially for a sophomore if he is of legit age..seen 52s fall to 50 in 2 years in HS kids.
I really didn’t mean for you to take that so personally; it wasn’t meant to be an attack. I was just stating a HS comparison between Ivey and someone who plays his position in the NFL; and that the numbers you presented don’t say one way OR THE OTHER how fast he is. And even when comparing for age it still does not say this kid is a burner. If the number you had presented was 49.5 I would still be unconvinced (Because sub-50 doesn’t even say 4.5 - depending on the athlete). They’re two different events that use two different energy systems; something I know you know as a coach of HS and JUCO (as do I... having been accredited for the Olympics and World Championships. Not trials, Games.).

I’m an Ivey fan. He could easily develop into a faster player, but now he’s an elite FOOTBALL player in HS, as opposed to an elite track runner in high school.

I stand by my initial comments.

For comparison: Bennie Blades ran sub-47 as a sophomore.

Last edited:
definitely the most under rated prospect in our class, everyone always talking about jobe, hall, blades, and frierson, and for good reason they're all very talented players but ivey is also very talented in his own right and he never gets talked about. He may not have blazing speed but he played some man coverage against jeff thomas in this video and jeff has widely been considered one of the fastest on the team and dj stays with him very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opeO-4tqCtw&t=93s

lol this video doesn't tell you chit sabot ivey except he's tall and long. It ain't like he manned up at the line against Thomas chit he played off most all the plays. Might be a good zone guy but his lack of long speed is a concern.

he'll I'm not even sold on Wiggins at this point.

I suggest you stop recruit both at PAR university. Richt, on the other hand is sold on both of them and wants them to play for the University of Miami.

Advertisement
Lack of speed?

Forget trying to explain to this guy. It appears he is on the tampon and is a hair splitter type.
Do agree the game films and results say it all and the other big time schools suddenly becoming interested in him after we did.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/DJ-Ivey-92455/RecruitInterests

LOL. You’re advertising ignorance and irony. Had YOU read correctly, instead of reacting menstrually, you would have never responded to my post. You clearly know little about speed or talent development. Sit back, don’t post, hopefully you’ll learn.

Lack of speed?

How much correlation is there between a good 400m time and football speed?

Lack of speed?

How much correlation is there between any track event and football speed. Who runs in a straight line from a sprinters crouch on a football field? No sense going after this guy CarolCity as he is just posting some track events as there has been no Nike on him
The one guy that says look at the film against top players has about he best correlation.

Advertisement
Lack of speed?

How much correlation is there between any track event and football speed. Who runs in a straight line from a sprinters crouch on a football field? No sense going after this guy CarolCity as he is just posting some track events as there has been no Nike on him
The one guy that says look at the film against top players has about he best correlation.

That was to the point and precise! You stuck it up the asses of a couple of people on that post!

Lack of speed?

i did 37 in the triple jump in 8th grade

Advertisement
Lack of speed?

Get your rabbit ears off, bub. I asked the guy a simple question because he seems to be dialed in on track info. If that's "going after" him to you, then you're weak.

Lack of speed?

Not a lot. 400 is an endurance sprint, and a **** near 52 is an ok time, but not a good time.

Even a 100m can be deceiving. Look at Bolt, he rarely jumps out to an early lead, but always finishes well ahead. Other sprinters have better 60m times than he does, definitely better 40 times. To me, a short shuttle is a better score of football speed. 3-cone, shuttle, 10 yd split, those are what matters.

Lack of speed?

Not a lot. 400 is an endurance sprint, and a **** near 52 is an ok time, but not a good time.

Even a 100m can be deceiving. Look at Bolt, he rarely jumps out to an early lead, but always finishes well ahead. Other sprinters have better 60m times than he does, definitely better 40 times. To me, a short shuttle is a better score of football speed. 3-cone, shuttle, 10 yd split, those are what matters.

In my opinion, the only events that have any correlation to football are the 100, hurdles, the jumps, and the throws can show you a bit for the big guys. 400 runners typically have a long stride, so you don't really see explosiveness or turnover. The 100 is the obvious example of speed, shows 2 things, acceleration out of the blocks and ability to hit that extra gear. Personally, I think the hurdles have a stronger correlation to football speed though. A sprint with obstacles, shows ability to maintain speed, aggressiveness, balance. The jumps and throws don't really tell you anything about speed, but you can learn a lot about how explosive a kid is. Red flag for me when skill position players don't have decent jump numbers.

Lack of speed?

I was wondering why they don't run the 400m at the NFL combine.

Advertisement
Back