DJ Coleman, DE/OLB, Jacksonville St.

I don't know what's in the condensed game, but I watched two full games when I got the tip on him a couple weeks ago and he looks like a definite take for me. Legit 6'6, lean, former basketball kid, has sack production and is athletic enough to play in space.

He needs technical and non-physical development, but scouts have him on the NFL radar. We need length and talent at DE badly. When Chantz got nicked, Thomas Davis and Cyrus Moss were getting first-team reps.

right now, Danny Stubbs and Rusty Meaderis aren't walking through that door

This guy would be a solid rotational guy, that can be a bridge player as Mario upgrades the roster

Im good with that(for now)

Advertisement

(@:50 is DJ)

I thought after we took Agude we wouldn’t be able to bring Coleman in as well, but if we can land this kid it would be a HUGE pickup!

6’6 245lbs, plays with good balance & utilizes rip technique well against OT’s, he also displayed double-swipe & understood when to activate speed to power rush using his arm length to leverage OT’s while stacking & shedding. He’s a consistent C & D Gap rusher that we can use on Pinch plays to collapse the pocket on both run & passing downs. He’d be the biggest DE on the team & the most experienced in terms of reps.

He had:
- 8tck & .5TFL vs UAB
- 6tcks & 1TFL vs FSU
- 6tcks 1.5TFL’s & 1.5 sacks vs North Alabama
- 5tcks 1.5TFL’s & 1 sack vs Lamar

You take his upside & potential all day, every day, I’m not sure our fans understand that this staff REALLY REALLY wants to upgrade the Defense, they’ve seen firsthand how short handed we are on the DLine & how bad we need proven pass rushers.

Ask yourself do you see them hosting & attempting to add QB’s RB’s, TE’s or Safety’s out the Portal in April literally 10 days before the Spring game??? Why do you think they’ve added 3 DL’s & are still possibly adding 2 more with Coleman & Akheem Mesidor? Do yall think this coaching staff (that has 15 DLine coaches, I’m obviously exaggerating) is watching practice every other day & thinking to themselves “Yeah we have a really great Defensive Line group, no need to add anybody else, we’re just taking transfers at this spot because we’re bored & need something to do..”?

Just use your brains fellas, the staff is literally telling you what they think of the DLine lol.

And I know the same **** fanbase that tried to convince us all last year that Zach McCloud was “pRetTy gOoD bRo!” that Dar’Jarri Coleman ain’t a take? Think of it like this, yall trust Mario (like yall always say yall do) & yall think Mario is a best coach we’ve had since Butch & you think our overall coaching staff is significantly better than last year’s, so if they are actively trying to upgrade the DLine & are trying to bring in a kid like this yall not gonna trust their assessment???

And I do realize most of yall aren’t against it, but I’m saying for those of you that do have some trepidation about bringing in Coleman, all I wanna know is who TF else are we gonna get? #BringBackScottPatchan? Lol.

WDE - Mitchell Agude/ Antonio Moultrie/ Chantz Williams/ Thomas Davis/ Cyrus Moss
DT - Jordan Miller/ Jake Lichtenstein/ Allan Haye
DT - Jared Harrison-Hunte/ Leonard Taylor/ Ahmad Moten
SDE - Dar’Jarri Coleman/ Jahfari Harvey/ Jabari Ishmael/ Nyjalik Kelly

Then add Akheem Mesidor & he would start day one at 3/4-Tech.

Some of yall are underestimating how much help this Defense needs, we still need a Mike LB & can still use another CB.

Bring me Coleman, Mesidor & go get Lejond Cavazos, might as well take advantage of the fact we have two Defensive gurus like Kevin Steele & Charlie Strong on the same coaching staff before everybody disperses after the season, so fck it they’re going to add as much immediate help as they need to give us the best chance to win.

Yall keep saying Mario should be able to win 10 games & the Coastal & have us in contention right? Well, that’s not gonna happen with the current roster as is, so them being proactive in the Portal is a very good thing, load up on as much talent as we can find & lets beat Jumbo Fisher & the Underachievers of College Station *** in September!

Last edited:
right now, Danny Stubbs and Rusty Meaderis aren't walking through that door

This guy would be a solid rotational guy, that can be a bridge player as Mario upgrades the roster

Im good with that(for now)

Rusty Medearis isn't limping through that door either.

We're going to have to get through 2022 with whatever we can scrape together for depth in the front 7. Late-stage portal, JuCo, on-campus tryouts, whatever it takes. I think we'll be fine by October (barring injuries), I trust this staff to coach them up and maximize whatever Avengers we can assemble.

But we have to stop comparing. All of the "but last year" or "but historically" stuff has to be tossed. We can't get 14 assassins overnight to build a 2-deep, but we'll get there by 2023. And I certainly think there is a lot of "reclamation" potential on our returning roster for the 2022 season.

Having said that, our schedule is full of teams with the exact same talent challenges that we face. That's where I think our coaching will make the difference. This is not just about "oh, we have a weak schedule". It's about our coaches being able to maximize an imperfect roster better than anyone else in the Coastal, at least. And certainly better than Prison Mike Norvell.

This is exactly what people don’t seem to get. It’s like they’re not watching the games.

They’ve got this fixed state of mind, where they think “starter “and that guy is playing all the snaps. There is a ton of rotation on the defensive line pretty much in every program in the country.

Guys like this potentially coming in just add more pieces to that rotation. Also saying players like Chantz are not valuable is not remotely close to being true. He made plays last year, is he what we would’ve wanted him to be at this point yet? No. But he contributes. He’s a guy. That’s what we have on the Dline - it’s not overly talented, and overly deep with talent, but we need what we have because right now that’s what we have to make do with.
Some dudes still think it’s the 90’s and starters play 80% of the time. Analytics changed all of that.

Advertisement
Rusty Medearis isn't limping through that door either.

We're going to have to get through 2022 with whatever we can scrape together for depth in the front 7. Late-stage portal, JuCo, on-campus tryouts, whatever it takes. I think we'll be fine by October (barring injuries), I trust this staff to coach them up and maximize whatever Avengers we can assemble.

But we have to stop comparing. All of the "but last year" or "but historically" stuff has to be tossed. We can't get 14 assassins overnight to build a 2-deep, but we'll get there by 2023. And I certainly think there is a lot of "reclamation" potential on our returning roster for the 2022 season.

Having said that, our schedule is full of teams with the exact same talent challenges that we face. That's where I think our coaching will make the difference. This is not just about "oh, we have a weak schedule". It's about our coaches being able to maximize an imperfect roster better than anyone else in the Coastal, at least. And certainly better than Prison Mike Norvell.

last years team was close to be an 9/10 win team, it was also close to being a 7 loss team. They played a lot of one possession games.

Lets see if this staff can A) get more blowouts vs the bad/mid-level ACC clubs and B), win a game they are underdogs in or 50-50

That's what Im looking for in 2022

I thought after we took Agude we wouldn’t be able to bring Coleman in as well, but if we can land this kid it would be a HUGE pickup!

6’6 245lbs, plays with good balance & utilizes rip technique well against OT’s, he also displayed double-swipe & understood when to activate speed to power rush using his arm length to leverage OT’s while stacking & shedding. He’s a consistent C & D Gap rusher that we can use on Pinch plays to collapse the pocket on both run & passing downs. He’d be the biggest DE on the team & the most experienced in terms of reps.

He had:
- 8tck & .5TFL vs UAB
- 6tcks & 1TFL vs FSU

You take his upside & potential all day, every day, I’m not sure our fans understand that this staff REALLY REALLY wants to upgrade the Defense, they’ve seen firsthand how short handed we are on the DLine & how bad we need proven pass rushers.

Ask yourself do you see them hosting & attempting to add QB’s RB’s, TE’s or Safety’s out the Portal in April literally 10 days before the Spring game??? Why do you think they’ve added 3 DL’s & are still possibly adding 2 more with Coleman & Akheem Mesidor? Do yall think this coaching staff (that has 15 DLine coaches, I’m obviously exaggerating) is watching practice every other day & thinking to themselves “Yeah we have a really great Defensive Line group, no need to add anybody else, we’re just taking transfers at this spot because we’re bored & need something to do..”?

Just use your brains fellas, the staff is literally telling you what they think of the DLine lol.

And I know the same **** fanbase that tried to convince us all last year that Zach McCloud was “pRetTy gOoD bRo!” that Dar’Jarri Coleman ain’t a take? Think of it like this, yall trust Mario (like yall always say yall do) & yall think Mario is a best coach we’ve had since Butch & you think our overall coaching staff is significantly better than last year’s, so if they are actively trying to upgrade the DLine & are trying to bring in a kid like this yall not gonna trust their assessment???

And I do realize most of yall aren’t against it, but I’m saying for those of you that do have some trepidation about bringing in Coleman, all I wanna know is who TF else are we gonna get? #BringBackScottPatchan? Lol.

WDE - Mitchell Agude/ Antonio Moultrie/ Chantz Williams/ Thomas Davis/ Cyrus Moss

Some of yall are underestimating how much help this Defense needs, we still need a Mike LB & can still use another CB.

Bring me Coleman, Mesidor & go get Lejond Cavazos, might as well take advantage of the fact we have two Defensive gurus like Kevin Steele & Charlie Strong on the same coaching staff before everybody disperses after the season, so fck it they’re going to add as much immediate help as they need to give us the best chance to win.

Yall keep saying Mario should be able to win 10 games & the Coastal & have us in contention right? Well, that’s not gonna happen with the current roster as is, so them being proactive in the Portal is a very good thing, load up on as much talent as we can find & lets beat Jumbo Fisher & the Underachievers of College Station *** in September!

Jordan Miller and JHH stick out like sore thumbs.

Having 100% of our starting defensive line room from transfers is F'ing disgusting and a disgrace by Manny and staff. Obviously LT, JHH, Harvey could start and will play a ton of snaps regardless but having potentially 4 transfers starting on our defensive line is something that should never happen here.

It ain’t happening we have better plays on the team already than a bunch of transfers from West Virginia, UAB, and Jacksonville State.

Advertisement
It ain’t happening we have better plays on the team already than a bunch of transfers from West Virginia, UAB, and Jacksonville State.
If that were true they wouldn’t be on the team in the first place...

All the transfers are Mario/Salave’a evals, all the all-Americans you think we already have on the roster we Diaz/Simpson evals...

If Mario thought Harvey, Chantz, JHH, Miller etc were all good enough to hold the fort he wouldn’t be adding 5 potential DL’s to the group as is. Mario basically has added an entire new group of starting DLinemen, what does that tell you Krazy?

last years team was close to be an 9/10 win team, it was also close to being a 7 loss team. They played a lot of one possession games.

Lets see if this staff can A) get more blowouts vs the bad/mid-level ACC clubs and B), win a game they are underdogs in or 50-50

That's what Im looking for in 2022

I agree with your basic premise, I've just never been a big fan of the "but we could have lost X games" thing, as if it were an equally-likely outcome.

What I think is interesting about UM is that one could argue that our proclivity to win the close games at such a high rate WAS DUE TO OUR PLAYERS. It certainly wasn't some rah-rah Manny speech which inspired the troops. And this certainly wasn't the same "wilt at the first sign of adversity" team that we had fielded in prior years.

I think if you combine the heart of these particular players with SUPERIOR coaching, we'll win a few more games by a wider margin, and we won't lose the close ones anymore.

That's all. The team (and coaches) will need to prove it, of course, but I have a lot more confidence that we will rarely "beat ourselves" in 2022 and beyond.

He had:
- 8tck & .5TFL vs UAB
- 6tcks & 1TFL vs FSU

Mario is trying to win now. He clearly sees who we have on the DL isn't cutting it. Like you said, there's a reason he is targeting DE, DTs, LBs, and possibly a CB and WR. This team still need help, and if anyone would know, it's Mario. He's worked at big time programs and worked with/played for big time coaches. He knows what we need more than any of us. We trying to get on Bama, UGA, OSU level right? That is not going to happen until Mario gets they guys he wants, whether that's from the portal or through recruiting. Our DL is small. Let Mario work.

Advertisement
Having 100% of our starting defensive line room from transfers is F'ing disgusting and a disgrace by Manny and staff. Obviously LT, JHH, Harvey could start and will play a ton of snaps regardless but having potentially 4 transfers starting on our defensive line is something that should never happen here.
Better Mario saying that front 7 trash than some of us.. We get called Mopes and ****.. lol..

He had:
- 8tck & .5TFL vs UAB
- 6tcks & 1TFL vs FSU

I loved the "Zach McCloud was pRetTy gOoD bRo" guys.. they call you a mope when you say we small AF in front 7 and if a guy who was benched can move to position and snatch a starting spot in a couple practices, you got BIG problems.. especially on Dline.. Bring everybody **** it.. Throw numbers at this problem and see how it shakes out

Why are those schools being downgraded? If each one of those schools has ONE player who can improve Miami's roster, I'm fine with that.

Now, if they have 22 players who can improve Miami's roster, then we might be having a different discussion.

And how about if Miami's 2021 team had "a bunch of" players (or just the best one from each) from Cincinnati, and Utah, and Northern Iowa, and Liberty, and Houston, and Connecticut, and Tulsa, and Central Michigan, and PURDUE...****, if we had THOSE "bunch of transfers", we could have won the ACC last year. Instead, the players from those crappy schools will all go in the first or second rounds of the draft.

Better Mario saying that front 7 trash than some of us.. We get called Mopes and ****.. lol..

I loved the "Zach McCloud was pRetTy gOoD bRo" guys.. they call you a mope when you say we small AF in front 7 and if a guy who was benched can move to position and snatch a starting spot in a couple practices, you got BIG problems.. especially on Dline.. Bring everybody **** it.. Throw numbers at this problem and see how it shakes out

Yeah, but the reality was that nobody was putting Zach McCloud on any pre-season All American lists. You had a clear group of McCloud-bashers who wanted him pushed out of UM, and you had another group saying "as long as he's on the roster, and as long as we need depth, let's do what we can to coach McCloud up at his new position".

Nobody said McCloud was "pretty good, bro". But people pointed out that Stubbs and Medearis were not walking through that door, so we wanted to figure out a way to utilize McCloud rather than force him to transfer.

If McCloud can earn playing time ahead of guys with more years of DL experience, maybe the problem isn't the "Zach McCloud bros", maybe the problem is our terrible D-line depth/recruiting.

Advertisement

All the transfers are Mario/Salave’a evals, all the all-Americans you think we already have on the roster we Diaz/Simpson evals...

If Mario thought Harvey, Chantz, JHH, Miller etc were all good enough to hold the fort he wouldn’t be adding 5 potential DL’s to the group as is. Mario basically has added an entire new group of starting DLinemen, what does that tell you Krazy?
Why are you even entertaining him? He looks like he just slammed his face in a bowl of flour right now…

When you have more defensive line coaches than you know what to do with, you take this kid and see how good these coaches are. We have no one on the roster with a ready made frame like this. Get this kid wrapped up!

1649274455285.png

That makes sense, I’ll admit they’re probably better than most of the players on the dline but they gotta prove they’re better than guys like LT and Harvey. They both had issues being consistent last year but showed flashes of what they could be with better coaching and development.

I just did this -- even to a couple posts I found personally funny (@PIPO and @Juvenal in particular) -- and it cut like 2.5 pages from the thread, lol.

So about the DJ Coleman... he seems like an athletic pass rusher who plays with a lot of effort and has the sort of wingspan that makes him a problem for college OTs. Hopefully we get him in the fold soon.
I Guess If You Say So GIF

Advertisement
Back