Discussion: Should we be hitting the JUCO and Canadian market harder?

Zbrod95

Thank God for the Columbus Mafia
Something that I’ve noticed the last couple of years have been JUCO players that transferred to D1 schools have been more of a constant on Day 1 and 2 of the draft and we’re also seeing Canadians drafted at a higher rate as well.

Obviously these are very limited options but do you feel that we need to do better jobs in both of these markets and how can we approach this?

Last edited:
Advertisement
The JUCO market yes, particularly for OL's & DB's.

I feel we really missed the mark not being able to get Brian George from JUCO last year, he would've been a perfect fit in this Defense, crazy how TAMU with access to high caliber DB's in state still picked up a JUCO kid. Both Auburn & Bama got JUCO DB's last year too.

With how awful our OL has been for the last 3 years we definitely should've been hitting the JUCO line harder for OL's, we got Traore last year, but we've needed a legit LT for like **** near 4 years now.

Almost every winning major program has taken JUCO kids in multiple classes, Bama, LSU, Oh St, Oklahoma, UGA, Auburn, Texas, TAMU, Oregon, Penn St & even Utah have all taken JUCO players in their last two classes. Most of our fans just soured on JUCO's because Jhavonte Dean didn't work out, but that doesn't mean we should completely stop recruiting them, if they're good enough to play here & we can get'em, then we should get'em.

Canada is lot more difficult & seems a little implausible. I'm all for expanding the recruiting map & going OOS to get good players all day, but Canada seems like a highly unlikely place to get recruits to come down to Miami.

I think the focus for OOS needs to be TX, AZ, ESTL, NV, NY/NJ/Philly.

And yes of course we still need to recruit FL.

JUCO is good for DL because they don’t need to be that smart. It can be dicey otherwise because of character issues. Late-bloomers who went to JUCO are a different story.

I’m open to recruiting Canada. There are only a few kids to comb through and Canadians tend to like Miami. Our 2001 team had two Canadians starting on OL, and Richard Mercier was one of our best guards ever.

Yes, we should be hitting the JUCOs hard every year. Especially in Texas and California.

Advertisement
They should be trying to find the best talent/prospect, so look everywhere. Especially when you can not go head to head with the elites of CFB when it comes to recruiting.

Advertisement
He was born in Jamaica, spent some time in Canada but went to Atlantic in Delray lol. He was a beast though.
Same thing haha appreciate the corrections. I thought he started out in the Toronto area and finished out high school down in Florida. Yea I miss those big *** o lines of Seantrel, him, Brandon Washington, Harland Gunn, and Joel Figueroa.

Advertisement
Same thing haha appreciate the corrections. I thought he started out in the Toronto area and finished out high school down in Florida. Yea I miss those big *** o lines of Seantrel, him, Brandon Washington, Harland Gunn, and Joel Figueroa.
You mean when we could actually block people? Yeaaaa...they got any eligibility left?

Advertisement
Not worth the effort IMO

Most jucos worth a **** will go SEC and it’ll be tougher for them to qualify.

More northern schools will have an advantage in Canada.
I was wondering with the NCAA Eligibility Center waiving the standardized test score requirement for highschool seniors, their only requirements to qualify is to have a 2.3 (core) gpa, so what about juco's???

I personally would hold a camp up there and invite everybody I could. Go up there with smaller schools as well and just make it a weekend event.

Honest question, I thought the rule for satellite camps was that you could do them together so long as you have a local college hosting. For a satellite camp in another country (like Canadia), could we just run a camp with Simon Fraser in BC and be ok?

Honest question, I thought the rule for satellite camps was that you could do them together so long as you have a local college hosting. For a satellite camp in another country (like Canadia), could we just run a camp with Simon Fraser in BC and be ok?
I believe so. I don’t see how there would be a change in the rule just because we’re doing it in Canada instead of the States.

Advertisement
Back